What Brass for Bushings?

RonRock

Registered
Registered
I need to replace a couple bushings in the Up/Down handwheel control on my surface grinder. This is in my homeshop and will very rarely be used, but it had some slop in the handwheel so I took it apart and found the bad bushings.

There are 2 of them roughly 1" tall by 1 9/16 Dia. with a -3/4" bore.

So I figured I'd start with 1 3/4" Brass. Now I need to know what type of brass to buy.

I also was thinking that it may be easier to bore the bushings that I have and sleeve them with a new center that is correct bore size. The OD of the existing bushings is good, press fit in the tube. So basically I would be sleeving a bushing. Is this done? Or just a bad idea to begin with? Only reason for doing it this way is cost and availability of 1 3/4" brass stock.

I would be tempted to make it out of steel and install 3/4 x 1 bronze or plastic bushings. That big chunk of brass is pretty spendy.

I would be tempted to make it out of steel and install 3/4 x 1 bronze or plastic bushings. That big chunk of brass is pretty spendy.

Good thought, but the OEM is a press fit into a bored cylinder. I don't want to foul that.

Yes, you can use the old one, bore it, and then glue in a new bushing with the correct I.D. It is a low speed, low pressure arrangement so it should not need to be overly designed. You will need to find the correct Loctite or similar product for the metal you use. It might also be a good time to evaluate the current lubrication system for that axis to see if it was poorly designed or just neglected by the previous users.

Yes, you can use the old one, bore it, and then glue in a new bushing with the correct I.D. It is a low speed, low pressure arrangement so it should not need to be overly designed. You will need to find the correct Loctite or similar product for the metal you use. It might also be a good time to evaluate the current lubrication system for that axis to see if it was poorly designed or just neglected by the previous users.

That's what I was thinking Bob. The surface grinder is a Jones-Shipman 540, well used and probably neglected. But it is what I have, so I'll do what I can to make it good enough for me.

If I didn't love working on this old stuff I'd have a lot more room in the shop.

I've been using a few bronze bushing for projects lately.
Found some on amazon and the price is right.

One of those might work. There are lots more.
Jones-shipman 540 is an awesome grinder. took mine for granted till I bought a KO Lee and then realised they all ain't the same.

Back