What Brass for Bushings?

Don't rule out plastic bearings like Garlok DU or one of the Igus bushings.

d

Thanks guys for all of the pointers.

Never heard of these,
"Don't rule out plastic bearings like Garlok DU or one of the Igus bushings."

As far as a "Locktite" or similar product, it seems to me that I have read about a product that is made for "locking in" a sleeve or bearing. I recently needed such a product and didn't have any luck with a search on Locktite products. It was not a high strength or highly important need. I needed to lock in some bearings in my finger brake. No big deal I just want them to stay put. They were a tight hand press fit. I used Locktight Threadlocker 262. The red stuff. Pretty comfortable that it will do what I need, but it seems like there is something better suited for a brass bushing.

As far as a "Locktite" or similar product
If you change your spelling to "Loctite" you will have much better luck finding their products... If you still don't find it, let me know and I will help you. -Bob

When you purchase a locking compound, be careful to make sure which metals are compatible with it and will make it cure. Not all thread lockers will work with yellow metals.

A little update on this issue.

I ended up using a flanged oilite bushing. I was able to chuck up the original bushing in my lathe and ream it out for a tight hand press fit of the new bushing. I did the lathe work on the original bushing and while it was still warm from the turning/reaming I hand pressed in the new bushing. I figured that the heat would have expanded the larger bushing a bit and if I had a good tight fit it would help hold the new "inner" bushing in place. The new bushing also is held by the flange and can not slip down into the bore of the sleave. I then placed the bushing in the freezer overnight and let the housing set in the hot sunshine the next day. Easy press fit.

I would have used some type of locking compound, but was concerned that it would have interfered with the lubrication of the oilite bushing. I still have the OEM lubrication zerk (grease zerk) that I can lube the bushing. Hopefully the lube will be able to get to where it is needed through the zerk.

Thanks guys for the help. The suggestions you have given helped guide me to a repair that I am happy with. Time will tell if I was successful. No doubt that it will last for my use.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Back