What brings us all here to the Hobby Machine website ?

I note that nearly everyone on here is from the US of A so just to be different, I'm from England
.I'm retired now but I used to be a quality engineer/manager at an aerospace company, making parts for the Apache helicopter, various Boeing and Airbus aircraft as well as the REALLY interesting stuff such as a new pilots seat for a German ME 109, some parts for the Lancaster bomber and others.
I've been a model engineer since I first got my hands on a lathe and am interested in pre 1900 traction engines.
I'm not a professional machinist so a site like this is invaluable for the information it contains and the people you can correspond with.
Brian

Always interested in mechanical things. Dad owned a salvage yard and a small hobby farm while I was growing up so I was thrown into that by design. He was a machinist working for Civil Service until retirement. I thought that's what I want to do so took vo tech in high school. Turned out senior year 1979 as a OJT machinist for a oilfield production shop running a wore out 3a WS Turret lathe. Bounced around from job shop and production shops for about 10 years then to a Mack Truck shop as a diesel mech for a couple years. Owned my own countertop business for a few but tired of the ups and downs. Finally found my niche in a manufacturing facility 26 years ago as a maintenance mechanic/machinist. Should retire in a few years. Along the way I have collected a B&S horizontal universal light #2 mill. I liked the format and the variety of people here so I keep coming back. Always learn something new from you guys.

I couldn't even spell laythe when I got here. :grin: Seriously, I have been in the collision repair industry my entire adult life. Do lots of woodworking in my home shop. Just getting into machining. Seemed like a great place to learn a thing or 20. Found it while researching mini lathe operations. Great place with an incredible wealth of knowledgeable folks!

Last edited:
I found this place when reading Mike's (ZMotorsports) posts over at Garage Journal, so I joined and have been on a steep learning curve since.

All my life I have been into motorcycle racing and riding bikes, so recently I have been buying all the bikes I used to own and fix them up to relive my youth.

It's been awesome but my home shop tools were mostly hand tools and a drill press and I finally got so frustrated with the lack of quality with my work, I decided it was time to buy some real machines, so now I can't leave here, I'm hooked.

For work I started out as a Locksmith Apprentice for Chubb Locksmiths in NZ at the age of 15, and moved to Chubb Canada in Vancouver at 20 years old.

I hung up the tools and moved into full time lock sales for Chubb in April of 1983, after 2 years of sales I left to start my own Electronic Lock business.

My business is now 33 years old and we have built a great team of people who allow (encourage) me to take time off when needed and I knew it was a good time to buy a few machines so I could make custom parts for our shop, that no-one else had time to work on and I could also use the machines for my hobbies as needed.

I'll probably work another 8-10 years actively and then see how I feel about it.

I tried retiring a few years back but my wife "suggested" it would be better for the relationship if I went to work, I now go in to the office 4 days a week.

David

I too am a Garage Journal junkie.

I work as a project engineer developing automation systems for Government and Military applications, and have focused heavily in high end motion control (AC servos and such). Studied Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and have always loved manufacturing. In high school I got to play with some old CNC Sherline mills which really got me into engineering, CAD and machining. After a year or two, I bought my own G0704 (CNC conversion), and recently bought an Enco 12x36 lathe.

I have always referenced this and many other forums, and felt it time I started to give back and contribute a little. I value this forum for having very little of the "high and mighty" attitude, and the friendliness and knowledge of the many members.

I hope to learn more about the machines I own, and tricks of the trade as I continue running my little side show. Thanks all!

As a kid I always got into trouble taking thing apart to see what made them work.
In 2-3 grade school I was always drawing pictures of a lathe or other machines
instead of doing school work. Then came the special Christmas day of getting
my first erector set ( now i have 71 sets). I had no way to buy a lathe so I built
my first one. Another 30 years and i bought a G1032 (22=1/2 swing x 40).
Now I have many lathe's and a Bridgeport mill. I still build many of my tools.
Last BIG project was my Band saw mill. Next big project is a motor controled
router plane. So now I have a wood work shop... machine shop... And a weld
shop. Lots to keep me busy. Loven this forum... Great bunch of people.

I resemble your remarks! I apprenticed to the machinist trade, then worked at the same shop for 7 years, then in another shop for 3 years, and went into business on my own until retirement --- about 35 years. Sold my business and brought surplus equipment home with me, have metalworking machines, a wood shop, and welding shop, and blacksmithing shop. I am now building a wood lathe, longer than the Oliver patternmaker's lathe that I already had. The work on the head and tailstocks is posted on "machine build logs". I have done a lot of wood pattern making for various projects, and enjoy it more than machine work, if that is possible ---

My great grandfather instilled a keen interest in all things mechanical. He was actually brilliant in his method. He would walk me down to the nearest gas station / garage. We would just stand 50 yards outside of the bay doors. It was too dark to tell anything, so he would ask questions & tell me. "oh, they're fixing a tractor today." I was probably 3 & 4. About the age of 5, my dad threatened to kill me if I took apart 1 more home appliance. Thus my focus became putting it back together (whatever caught my eye) - well because I wanted to live. So, I've always been a tinkerer. My studies & goal was to become a Mechanical Engineer & I was accepted right out of high school at UT Arlington Engineering School. But the pace of classes, had to have a car so couldn't quit the job & wanting to keep a girlfriend too.....well, they took a toll. In my effort to regroup I ended up with a power company that paid for my college in Electrical Engineering Design & Power Distribution. After 8 years of misery, I left to pursue a career as a recording engineer & musician. Lost it all in a theft & had to start over. Been a Forklift Mechanic, but mostly electrical related jobs. Career highlight was wiring & commissioning the only new power plant in my area since the 40s. I want to build a shop before I start on my cars. So I brought in a shed & started restoring guitars & amps. Missed & wanted something more mechanical in nature + didn't see the parts I wanted for the instruments I was restoring. So, I ventured into machine work. I have a lot to learn. As I gained enough understanding to actually reach out & ask questions, I began checking online sites & have been active on all of them. I stopped going to the others, though. This is down home people right here! Here in Louisiana we say, "Let the Good Times Roll." In Cajun, of course. But, I say, "Let the Chips Fly!"

main reason Is because I’m impatient a gunsmith told me it was going to me 9 months before he could get to me...... thousands and thounds of dollars later I have a 6.5x47L. I’ve since built several firearms. It’s just a cool hobby and I already had a small welding/hobby shop why not add some more to it

My educational background is electrical engineering, specializing in semiconductors. Doesn't sound like an obvious entry to machining, does it? But early in my career I found myself doing failure analysis on semiconductor IC's. That is a VERY small and specialized market, so there were relatively few tools made for the purpose (and as a result they all seemed to be quite expensive). Of course, that means I DID get to play with some very expensive tools so it wasn't all bad <g>.

So early on I started making things to assist in my work. Various fixtures, holders, etc. Some went inside scanning electron microscopes and the like. But I quickly became dissatisfied with the results I got when using hand tools. I got a small benchtop lathe and used it to make a specialized polishing tool for de-layering integrated circuits, and the end result was so good I was hooked. I now have a benchtop mill, metal bandsaw and a growing collection of tools and accessories. Still happily learning, and now that I'm retired I have more time to play with my toys. Life is good :)

Oh, why am I here? The place is friendly, non-judgemental, and full of folks who are VERY knowledgeable, and willing to share their experience.

Back