What brings us all here to the Hobby Machine website ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wondering what has brought everyone to the site other than the interest in being a hobby machinist . I myself am a machinist by trade , and this is my occupation . It would be interesting to read everyone's reasons for their interest in the trade and what your true occupation is . Possibly some networking could be in the future .

I'm sure we all come from different backgrounds and use different skills to pay our bills , chime on in and let's hear what we call work . :)

I went to college for the cad so when i got to learn a little machining in a previous job i start to enjoy it. Since then i thought it would be cool to set up my own little shop. I found this place looking for projects at first and here i am.

I've made my living as a field mechanic in heavy equipment, I lurk here more than anything and find this a very interesting place with interesting people. My dad made his living as a Tool Maker, and ran a gunsmith business from home, that sparked my interest in machining at a young age as he had a small lathe and mill (I still have). I plan on retiring in a couple years and have added a Bridgeport and a Sheldon lathe to my shop, and very much enjoy building and fabricating things.

FF

Well the first 27 years of my working life I was a manufacturing optician. grinding eyeglasses then got laid off . then 10 years worked in a machine shop started as an operator first cnc then rotary transfer machines and screw machine. Worked up to lead. during that time I bought a craftsman 12" lathe and a G0704 mill. that is when I joined this site as well as a few others. and for the last 5 1/2 years have been working in a small job shop as a machinist.

I got into hobby machining about 20 years ago when building an experimental aircraft.

I had basic power tool experience growing up with my dads drill press, bandsaw, 12in disc sander, and welders, etc. I inherited most of those tools and still use them almost daily.

I bought myself an RF30 clone mill, to help build the kit helicopter, then a bought mid-size Grizzly lathe. Found an old Bridgeport and sold the RF30, found Hobby Machinist about this time. It's been a great resource.

I'm a newly retired electrical engineer and am struggling with whether or not to refurb my Bridgeport, or buy a refurbed Bridgeport, or buy a new Taiwan made Acer 3VS.

Last edited:
I am a lifelong builder and fixer of things. Houses, cars, equipment, etc. Made my living in many of these diciplines. I am currently an equipment repair shop supervisor. Machining is an extension of all this. I enjoy the similarities, AND the differences between them all. Oh, ya, and I need MORE tools too, right?

Degreed in physics, chemistry, and math. The first five years of my professional carreer, I worked as an analytical chemist for a major battery manufacturer. 22 years after that as owner of a small electronics manufacturing company, Six years as manufacturing engineering manager for a medical device company. Another seven years as co-founder of a biotech company, sold to a Fortune 500 company and worked the final two years for that company as an Engineering Manager. Retired since 2013.

I started working with a lathe in 1963, adding a mill/drill c.a. 1984. Began welding in 1970, O/A and stick. Added MIG c.a. 1990. Attended some blacksmithing workshops in 1978-1980 and have a working blacksmith shop. Added a Tormach 770 in 2011 and a Grizzly 602 lathe in 2013.

I had taken three years of drafting in high school and continued the pencil & paper track until 1997 when I started with Autosketch, followed quickly with AutoCAD. Began working with SolidWorks in 2004 and bought my own seat in 2012. I have just started to scratch the surface with Fusion 360.

I am an active member of HM for three years. I am here to learn new things abut this hobby/profession and hopefully to help others with my knowledge and experience.

I’m an electrician at a factory. I’ve always made things for myself since I was a kid. I can’t remember a time when I knew what a lathe was and didn’t want one. I think machining is one of the most valuable skills a person could learn. I’m not really talking about making money with it, although I hear it can pay the bills. I’m specifically referring to a higher level of independence that can be achieved through knowledge.

Forgot to mention, that this forum is less derogatory of people, places , or equipment used. I signed up somewhere else, but discovered my machines are banned from being considered actual machines there.

Last edited:
Back