What brings us all here to the Hobby Machine website ?

I'm a veterinarian - my practice is mainly large animal focused. I've always liked metalworking. I learned to weld (stick) when I was about 10. Growing up on a farm, there were always things to fix or build. I had never been around a machine shop until I built my own :). I've learned everything I know about machining from YouTube and this site - and I'm still learning.

It's really interesting and fun to see I'm not the only one who's life has unfolded in unexpected ways :).

I started out was an independent VW engine rebuilder and at one time was the only one in the county that knew how to line bore cases. My strength was my attention to detail and proper measuring and machining. Went through several garages and felt like if I had certificates I wouldn't have to put up with the guff. So went back to school at the local JC and became the special projects mech student for the dept. then transferred to Reedley JC to become an aircraft mech. Got my A&P and all the auto certs and went to find a job and was told I was over qualified. Realized the guff was working for alcoholic managers. Never did work in aircraft because the pay was so lousy.

Worked as a wrench until the late 80's and just got fed up with black box tech that nobody could diagnose or fix and bailed for building and fixing fruit packing machinery. I realized I'd much rather make something that to fix some bad design. Meanwhile something I'd come up with in '86 for mandolin had taken on a life of its own and was growing as I learned and applied more sophisticated manufacturing processes to it. Just at the time it got too stupid at the company I was working for because they decided to nix our benefits and I walked, one of the largest acoustic music dealers in the world wanted to become a dealer of my invention. More dealers followed and because it was now my "job" I could apply everything I'd learned to making it. But I needed to make equipment that took machining and so bought a 9x20 & RF 30 that were adequate to the job and started watching YouTube and Mr.Pete to learn the basics. Not until I bumbled onto an old Atlas 7b that needed a starter cap did I bumble onto this place. And I'm so glad I did. I learn something every single time I log on and don't have to wade through the surly comments I see on the other forums. Looking back I never would have predicted this.

Last edited:
I jumped head first into combat pistol competitions (USPSA and Steel Challenge) big time in SoCal in the 80s and I wanted to get some small machines to help with building my competition pistols. Started with a Sherline lathe and mill, and worked my way up from there.

Somewhere along the way I tripped over this site and have been kinda hanging out ever since.

i get paid to fix things others carelessly destroy.
it's interesting how a bowling ball can be broken with a broomstick.
i can't explain the physics behind the statement, but, it must be like the bumble bee that shouldn't be able to fly typa thing.
i have been interested in the construction and composition of everyday things since i was very young.
when i got a new toy, i'd play with the toy for a day or 2 and then invariably the toy would be dissected to reveal its working components.
sometimes the toy was returned to function, most times not as i generally had to separate assemblies that were beyond my capabilities to restore function to.
not much has changed since then :grin:
i went to technical school in Wyoming for Diesel Technology
i went to community college and learned 2 process of welding- SMAW, GTAW in all 4 welding positions
i helped build skyscrapers and installed seismic retrofits on buildings.
i went to numerous factory schools for equipment repair of many types- mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical control systems were/are my specialties
i took Richard King's scraping class in 2013, just because scraping spoke to me
i love to restore unloved or destroyed machinery, for the challenge and love of machines :bang head:

the main reason i am here is to seek knowledge of what i don't already know
the secondary reason is to aid my brethren, by educating anyone who will listen to what i have learned

Last edited:
My journey began in JR. High school when vocational education was still offered. Although my grandfather was a master machinist (in my eyes) it was at 12-13 years of age that I found the magic of creating. Sure I built many bikes as a kid but not the same as to build something from raw stock.I never failed any grades, but really didn't like school much. I was saved by a few male teachers (WW II vets) who had zero issue straightening me out. By HS, I was enrolled in every vocational course they had to offer a freshman and by the time I graduated at 17 I had a true appreciation for higher math. Six days after graduation, I was in boot camp followed by A school to learn welding/damage control. I had a decent head start over my piers in skill and attitude. Served for 18 months at Sub base P. H. then on a missile sponge for the remainder. Separated about the time I was 21 and struggled to find a job. I went from a second class petty officer ( E5) to landscaping. My father gets that credit as he instilled pride at a young age. I was too proud to collect unemployment or any other type of handout. "Reaganomics" had me enlisting once again. This time around I gave the USAF a try and killed ASVAB enabling me a long list of opportunities. I took a bust down to E-4 and went to another school to learn Aircraft fuel systems including Pneudraulics, schematics and basic electronic troubleshooting. While serving in the AF, I found myself spending time in the weld/machine shop developing/designing specialty tools used in the fuel shop. I had plenty to share and learned even more from these folks. Separated after almost ten years of combined service and hit the private sector working as a fabricator. My time as a civilian employee was frustrating at best. Working with s**t tools, s**t machines and bosses who lacked caring forced me to strike out on my own. My wife had gifted me a Millermatic 200, 4" Makita grinder and a 14" Makita chop saw for Christmas, she knew better than I at the time what I needed to be happy. One job led to another and before I knew it, we had a full-time fab shop. The sad part of this phase of my life was the employees and the type of work we performed (wrought iron gates, fences deck rails etc). This payed the bills (barely) and I found myself in night school after a few years in that rat race. Employees where another negative to the story, so I'll skip that part. What I really missed was being challenged to create and problem solve. I became a fireman and maintained my welding skilled through custom jobs. As the jobs became more complex, I added machines and tooling. I purchased my first lathe back in 2001 mostly out of frustration, having to rely on a shop that didn't share my quality or time table. Most of my machining skills (basic) are from 4 years of H.S. I primarily am a welder/fabricator, so years of practice helps in many areas including what I call practical machining or common sense approach.
I joined this site in 2014 to expand my machining skills and to share in any way I can. I have always had an appetite to learn and been blessed with ambition and good health although my wife will say I'm hyper active;)

Some might think it all started with Mig, 4"grinder and a 14" chop saw, but I like to think it really started with those special men who never gave up on a kid. I'm so grateful I wasn't born 10 years later. I see some parallels with some members on this site whom share and mentor like those special teachers in my life.

A snap shot but it sums it up.

Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
@firestopper: "Missile Sponge" he sez....HAAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahaha! My 22 years in the Navy were spent in the Cryptology field and I have a grand total of 12 days of sea time.

All of that came from one tour as a resident technician at a Mobile Technical Unit (MOTU-10 out of Charleston, SC) supporting a system that was new to the afloat world. The MOTU also had a well-populated submarine contingent supporting both attack and missile boats. The bubbleheads and skimmers were always yanking on each other's chains, mostly in good humor. A good buddy of mine, a Fire Control Tech (SS) said there are two sorts of naval vessels: Submarines and Targets.

Back