What Chuck to choose?

I just bought a Pratt Burnerd 8-1/4” set-rite chuck and the quality is amazing.

What kind of mount do you have?
Consider a direct mount.
I bought one, like it very much.

I recently bought a couple of more chucks, 3" 4-jaw independent and 5" 4-jaw scroll. After looking around a while at the same Taiwan chucks with different mftrs. labels, I bought them through a well respected vendor - Shars. They're both low quality and bind in certain ranges. The standard Grizzly chucks always ran completely smooth and true throughout their adjusting range.

I love it when the manufacturer includes a little QC Test/Spec sheet initialed by the Asian that supposedly assembled and tested it, and then it doesn't work smoothly right out of the box. Right!!!!!

I recently bought a couple of more chucks, 3" 4-jaw independent and 5" 4-jaw scroll. After looking around a while at the same Taiwan chucks with different mftrs. labels, I bought them through a well respected vendor - Shars. They're both low quality and bind in certain ranges. The standard Grizzly chucks always ran completely smooth and true throughout their adjusting range.

I love it when the manufacturer includes a little QC Test/Spec sheet initialed by the Asian that supposedly assembled and tested it, and then it doesn't work smoothly right out of the box. Right!!!!!
Usually the test sheet that comes with Chinese stuff has been photocopied enough times to hardly be readable, and IF there are some hand written numbers in the boxes, they are always right at the limit and maybe a couple a little better than acceptable numbers. Just make it look good... I laugh out loud when I see one, damned pencil whippers...

It seems a lot of people think Shars stuff is a cut above. My experience is that it is worse, if anything, just more expensive. I guess the vendor hype actually works on some people.

Back