What color for Rockwell bandsaw?

put the primer on before hand. You'll be glad you did. It sands nicely, and will give you a good finish.
Oh, I know. :) I painted my car gray. I primered it first... in gray. Luckily, they were different enough that I could tell.

Is there anywhere that two pieces are bolted together that may hide the original color? Or under a bolt head or tag or something?
There are tags. My second choice was to remove one and see what the color under it looked like and get a paint match. I was hoping someone who'd painted one of these would chime in and tell me which rattle can color was the best, but it seems there are varying opinions and lots of choices, since Delta/Rockwell had different grays over the years.

Some pictures:

The Rustoluem Smoke Gray next to the bluish gray I'm looking for. Note the slightly bluish cast:
DSC00786.JPG

The Smoke Gray next to a part of the bandsaw. Not a bad match, actually.
DSC00787.JPG

I sprayed a dot of Smoke Gray paint on the bandsaw. It's a little lighter.
DSC00788.JPG

This saw sat outside for awhile, so the paint faded unevenly. Even inside the wheel covers looks faded.

Rustolium has a Gloss Deep Slate that is a darkish blue / grey, about the same as charcoal grey but with some blue.

Not quite sure of the color you are after, most of the Delta tools I've seen are a kind of a light grey.
Thanks. That one's too dark.

I've seen the bluish gray in older tools (80's-90's vintage) and the lighter gray an newer ones (since about 2000). I didn't realize that Rockwell/Delta had changed the colors so much. Seems stupid from a branding point of view. Maybe they didn't think anyone would notice.

I will NEVER use Sherman Williams water based enamel again. I would have been better off with a Sharpie or a crayon.

I have always had REALLY good luck with Hammerlite hammered finish spray paint. The Rustoleum hammered finish paint seems very comparable.

The most rugged paint I have used is the gray tractor paint from the local Coastal farm supply with the hardener from the same manufacture. They carry colors to match most tractor manufactures signatory paint color.

I responded back to Delta and asked for some sort of paint codes. They just told me that no paint codes were transferred during any of the sales and that the best way to get a match was to take a sample and get it matched. Oh, well. I tried.

It looks like the Rustoleum Smoke Gray will be fine, unless and until I can look under a tag and see if the original color is still there.

On a related side-note, I called Kurt and asked about paint colors on their vises. They must get that a lot because they told me that Ford Blue was a rattle-can match. I guess I'm surprised that Delta doesn't have something similar.

Back