What connectors are you using for 240 single phase?

On the wall I have a dual gang box with two L40-30 sockets for each machine, and another duplex socket with a 240VAC 20A and a 120VAC GFI duplex socket.

I assume you mean L14-30. Can you grab a picture of that? I'd think the L14-30R socket diameter would be bigger than a 5-15, 6-15, 5-20, or 6-20 single socket - that would fit under a single round gang plate cover. I could be wrong. The sockets appear to be wider than a single gang. Then again I could go to the store and play around with pieces and parts and see what fits.

I am making a break-out box for electrical power, just a short run from a dryer outlet (14-30) or generator outlet (L14-30) for now.

The main idea I have is a box on the end of a cord with 3 gangs - 2x 120v duplexes (1 per leg) then 1 gang for 240. That, I believe, limits me to 6-15 or 6-20.

If I go to an L14-30 (4 pin round locking) that requires 2 gangs. I guess that isn't out of the question (bump up to a 4 gang box), but is it worth it?

Where I could see the benefit of any 4 pin connector is the requirement of 120v for controls and 240v for motors - on the same machine. Regardless, both voltages would be at the box so a further rewiring of it would be easy if necessary. Just trying to think ahead.

In all source cases they are 30 amp supplies (30 amp breakers) so 20 amp connectors (5-20 and 6-20) would work.

Yes, L14-30.

They are relatively compact and carry all 4 conductors needed to do whatever you want with the circuit at a later date. 30 amps is plenty for just about anything that doesn't warrant a dedicated run. And, extension cables are compatible with many generators.

Back when I was in pro-audio we spent the extra money for genuine Switchcraft connectors because the cost of failure was much greater than paying extra up front for the right thing. I still have some of those connectors that I soldered into speaker cabinets back in 1985 and they still work.

The small amount you might save by using a different connector now won't make a difference 10 years down the line. Electrical is definitely one of those areas where being cheap can bite you in the long run, do it right, once....

John

Correct, Two L14-30 on the left dual gang box (1, 2). I use a blank nylon face plate and cut the two holes for the sockets. There are single gang face plates but I have not seen double. I made the power cable on the left, and the Hubbell plug is quite large, the other is a molded type. The dual gang box on the right (3, 4) has a 20A 240VAC dual socket and 20A 120VAC GFI. Each socket is wired two its own breaker of the same amp rating at the main panel. On the other side of the garage, I have a single 50A 240VAC socket fin a dual gang for for my compressor, and a similar 20A 240/120 sockets in another dual gang box. This is in addition to number of 120VAC sockets that were already wired in the garage on another breaker.

I think they were Hubbell sockets, I get the industrial rated ones. At each machine I breakout the 120/240VAC with the appropriate sized supplemental breaker/fusing, and rated wiring for the amperage.
20200525_112216.jpg

I made the power cable on the left, and the Hubbell plug is quite large, the other is a molded type.

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

I am glad you posted that picture because I would have not given any thought to the diameter of the plug. I knew they were "large" and wasn't even sure an L14-30r would fit in a single gang spot. I can see it does - and it isn't the socket that can be an issue - it's the plug you are hooking in to it.

I won't have a need for more than 1 in this application, but that is great future reference. I would not have thought there would be that much difference in size between molded and modular/screw on.

I think a 6-20 duplex is how I'm going to approach it this round though.

I would be curious if you put a L14-30r next to a duplex in a side-by-side gang if there would be interference with the plugs? It looks like the yellow cord is a 5-15 or 5-20 and the plug on it is as big as the molded L14-30p, maybe bigger. I suppose if the larger modular/screw type L14-30p is able to sit directly side-by-side the molded one then offsetting the 5-15/5-20 up or down would give a bit more clearance?

Back