What cutters to use for custom micro-v pulleys?

I ground one out of a 1/4" HSS blank, similar to an acme thread-form. Just match it to the belt or the existing pulleys. Square it up good with the workpiece and get it exactly on centre. Feed in to depth then step over the same amount as on the belt or other pulley. With your indicator set to zero at the proper depth, the grooves will all be the same.

I ground one out of a 1/4" HSS blank, similar to an acme thread-form. Just match it to the belt or the existing pulleys. Square it up good with the workpiece and get it exactly on centre. Feed in to depth then step over the same amount as on the belt or other pulley. With your indicator set to zero at the proper depth, the grooves will all be the same.

Same as Mike. Ground a HSS tool to match and cut each groove individually. Use for the waterpump drive on the Cobra.

I have a project where i have to make Micro-v multi groove pulleys one in steel other in aluminium, my plan is to start with grounding a HSS cut off tool if that doesn't work to try to ground carbide cut off insert and use it, keep us updated how you make out.

I made two 4" diameter sheaves not long ago for a micro-V and roughed it out with a DCMT carbide tool and finished with a hand ground HSS. The belt fits very well. In the process of this, I discovered that not all belts are created equal. I had equivalent sizes from two manufacturers. The Gates belt fit the profile very well. The no-name brand had a very different profile that ultimately worked but, it also had a "heavy" or "thick" part in the backbone that caused noticeably more vibration. -Just a junky belt I guess...

Ray

Thanks for the replies. There are so many variables related to tooling, makes it a bit overwhelming for a beginner. I ordered a 1/4" tooling blank, but will it work for 6061 alum? Will the DCMT carbide inserts work for aluminum, or should I get something else? Was hoping to start out with carbide inserts and learn how to grind HSS tooling later just to keep things simple at first. Shars and other catalogs do have some reference pages for inserts, but I think I need a more basic reference to start out. I have an AXA quick change TP and some extra holders. Need to get a basic set of toolholders some inserts, but there are so many angles and shapes...

Thanks for the replies. There are so many variables related to tooling, makes it a bit overwhelming for a beginner. I ordered a 1/4" tooling blank, but will it work for 6061 alum? Will the DCMT carbide inserts work for aluminum, or should I get something else? Was hoping to start out with carbide inserts and learn how to grind HSS tooling later just to keep things simple at first. Shars and other catalogs do have some reference pages for inserts, but I think I need a more basic reference to start out. I have an AXA quick change TP and some extra holders. Need to get a basic set of toolholders some inserts, but there are so many angles and shapes...

What lathe do you have? These are some good starter sets.

First link is for a 3/8" shank set. It's on sale now. Perfect for an AXA.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-7PCS...972823?hash=item1ca79a0397:g:OKQAAOSwkrFagcTe

This is the same set as above but 1/2" shank. These will fit your AXA holders but may be too big for your lathe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-1-2-...166083?hash=item4602f2a103:g:PcAAAOSwcBhWU1kt

This set is great, sold by a friend of mine and sponsor of this web site. These are different inserts than above but unlike the sets above, all the insert holders take the same insert which is VERY convenient. This is my preferred recommendation from a technical perspective but, they are a little more expensive.

Here's a 3/8" set.
http://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...ool-set-sized-for-axa-quick-change-tool-post/

Here's a 1/2" set.
http://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...ool-set-sized-for-bxa-quick-change-tool-post/

Yes, a DCMT can cut aluminum.

Ray

Keep in mind that the angles you need for multi-groove pulleys may not be available in carbide inserts, at least at a hobby level. HSS is a lot easier to grind and actually cuts better than carbide. If the 6061 is sticking to the cutter, try a shot of WD40, kerosene or brush on a bit of Crisco.

Need to make some Micro-v multigroove pulleys for 6 groove wide belts. Will likely use aluminum. Page 41 of Gates design manual

https://ww2.gates.com/europe/file_save_common.cfm?thispath=Europe/documents_module&file=20070_E2_V-BELTS_DRIVE_DESIGN_MANUAL.pdf

says groove for the PJ "Micro-V" belt should be 40 degrees. What options are best tooling/cutter to use to cut the grooves?

Thanks.
Do not over think this. The first response to the thread is entirely useful, and the others as well. High speed steel will work for aluminum, mild steels, and most anything that is not hardened. Grind a tool with proper relief and clearance, a slight flat on the end, like a threading tool except for the angle, and get to cutting. DCMT carbide inserts are 55 degrees, so you would still need to finish the cuts with HSS or grind the carbide to a different angle, not easy without diamond grinding wheels.

Back