What did I bend? Not paying attention

Did you put the dial indicator on the inside of the spindle taper? Is that where you are seeing runout?

Maybe time to upgrade to a little larger lathe.

No on the largest part of the spindle, but I also put a block of briar in the chuck and there was too much wobble. This lathe has done everything I need. I would like to get the 8x12 but its a lot more money and is pretty heavy. There were no issues until I forgot to tighten the chuck and the block flew out probably hit the bed and bent the spindle before it hit me.....DOH

OK, more importantly - how is the shoulder? To hades with the spindle and bearings. (but I hope you didn't dent the briar wood...)And --- that is one beautifully crafted piece BTW._Dan
No worries on the shoulder he bed must have taken the hit. Wood is fine to. Briar is hard. thanks on the pipe. The lathe really works good, all the holes line up perfect and much better than a drill press. Tues will order the new parts.....

The "shoulder" you refer to is called the register. I have never used one of those HF mini lathes. Surprising though,that a pipe stem could bend the spindle. They must be using cheap steel,or leaded steel to make those out of.

Back in the 60's someone gave me a teeny little Sears lathe. It had a very small little tube for the spindle. Connected to the planetary gear drive with a small Woodruff key. Any time I tried to take even a very small cut with that lathe,the Woodruff key sheared off. After trying to use the lathe a few times,with the same result,I gave up on it.

When you get the spindle out of your lathe,how about posting the approximate dimensions of it? Just ruler measured dimensions will be o.k.. I'm just curious as to what those lathe's spindles are like.

The "shoulder" you refer to is called the register. I have never used one of those HF mini lathes. Surprising though,that a pipe stem could bend the spindle. They must be using cheap steel,or leaded steel to make those out of.

Back in the 60's someone gave me a teeny little Sears lathe. It had a very small little tube for the spindle. Connected to the planetary gear drive with a small Woodruff key. Any time I tried to take even a very small cut with that lathe,the Woodruff key sheared off. After trying to use the lathe a few times,with the same result,I gave up on it.

When you get the spindle out of your lathe,how about posting the approximate dimensions of it? Just ruler measured dimensions will be o.k.. I'm just curious as to what those lathe's spindles are like.

Sorry we are having a miscommunication. Was not a stem, was a block of briar wood. I forgot to clamp the block down the chuck. Briar is a fairly hard wood. The block flew out, hitting the bed and then MY shoulder. LOL. The spindle appears strong enough. Just thing the block is hard enough to bend it just enough. It's not real obvious til you get a block of wood on the chuck. When I measure I am using the largest place on the spindle, the large flange. I will measure it when I pull it back apart.

Back