• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

What did I get myself into??

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
I picked up this “Surface Grinder” for 100 bucks. Supposed to be wired for 110 but get there and it is 220/440 3 phase. I got it anyway and hoping I can wire it for 220 and run a Teco VFD.

BUT...what is it??? It is a Royal Oak
D-S Grinder with a turntable head and dual wheel spindle. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Attachments

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
Also forgot to mention that the hand wheels are also the “dials”. Scribed in thousandths.

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Administrator
Tool and cutter grinder.

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Royal Oak is well known for form tool grinding equipment, but this one looks more like a simple tool & cutter grinder.

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
Well that’s too bad, I was under the impression that tool and cutter grinders had a movable(angle) table, where this one is fixed. For 100 bucks I can’t complain too much, but I have to buy a teco fm50 which is another 115+shipping.
The grinder(220/440) is currently wired for 440v 3 phase. There is no wire diagram or numbers on the leads. Anyone happen to have a Lamb Electric 1/3 HP grinder head and know how to wire it to 220?

benmychree

John York
How many wires are there? There are basically two different wiring diagrams for 3 phase motors, star and delta connections.

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
6 wires. The guy said it is wired for 440 now. It’s has three separate leads and then three wires joined together

benmychree

John York
If it is star wound, that is the connection for low volts (220)
line 1 1&7 together
line 2 2&8 together
line 3 3&9 together
4,5,&6 together
for 440 volts,
line 1 1
line 2 2
line 3 3
Together; 4&7, 5&8, 6&9
Take the tape off the connections and see if the numbers correspond with above; the connections for delta windings, the numbers are entirely different, but the high volts connection would be correct for your motor if it is indeed connected for high volts. For delta connection, low volts would be
line 1- 1,6,& 7 together
line 2- 2,4, & 8 together
line 3- 3,5,&9 together

The only way to confirm whether a star or delta connection is to separate all the wires and read out ohms between the windings, but I doubt that you will need to do that, likely it is a delta connected motor, if in fact the guy knew for sure that it was connected for high volts.

benmychree

John York
The info above came from a publication called "Engineering Pocket Handbook" it has lots of good info regarding electrical issues in a practical format, I have had my copy for about 48 years, and wouldn't be without it.

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
No numbers only faint colors. The three separate wire(1,2,3 I guess) are white(ish) brown and black and the other three(connected together) are also white, brown and black.

benmychree

John York
Sometimes, the numbers are stamped on the terminals, I have never seen color coded wires. A motor shop could likely tell you the numbers by using an ohm meter.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If all else fails, take it to a local motor shop and ask for help. They will sort it out, test it, and make it the way you want it with a few minutes work. In my experience, motor shops are helpful and do not gouge customers. YMMV, but you WILL get an answer to your questions, and perhaps a quick reconnect it a few minutes for a few dollars.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If the spindle doesn't wobble, and the lead-screws work, then you got a great deal.

Funny, nothing on lathes.co.uk or Vintage-Machinery for this.

I hope you keep posting your progress.

-brino

[6]
[5] [7]