What Did You Buy Today?

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Here in the Phoenix area, we're facing a 100% chance of rain Monday (high 67º, low 46º).

Gaw-lee, Sarge ... does that mean we're a' gonna get wet?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I haven't bought a new tool of any consequence for quite a while, and I just got paid for a couple of jobs, and the check is in the mail for a couple more, so time for a new tool. The next project involves some steel fab and I've been wanting one of these for a while.....so.....

Haven't used it yet, just arrived about an hour ago. We'll see how well it works. I chose this one because the batteries are the same as the rest of my tools.

1581367359035.png

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I haven't bought a new tool of any consequence for quite a while, and I just got paid for a couple of jobs, and the check is in the mail for a couple more, so time for a new tool. The next project involves some steel fab and I've been wanting one of these for a while.....so.....

Haven't used it yet, just arrived about an hour ago. We'll see how well it works. I chose this one because the batteries are the same as the rest of my tools.

View attachment 313222
Nice! I have the same one, slide switch, I've been happy with mine.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well.... that wouldn't have happened if you weren't wearing a shirt! Just do your grinding naked. Wait that didn't come out right, this is supposed to be a family oriented site. :big grin:

Reminds me of this. :D

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Well.... that wouldn't have happened if you weren't wearing a shirt! Just do your grinding naked. Wait that didn't come out right, this is supposed to be a family oriented site. :big grin:

I'm not even going to comment on that one :eek:

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Along with 'Penn State' above I've got a more expensive 'bad move' story.
I had put on safety glasses and a shield to use my 4-1/2" but I had my new prescription glasses on a strap, dangling.
The sparks pitted the heck out of them.
Smooth move -EH? Haven't made that mistake again.

middle.road

Actively Learning...

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I've seen Will's awesome work, that's inspiring, and intimidating. I'm a total flunky at math, so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. :)

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I've seen Will's awesome work, that's inspiring, and intimidating. I'm a total flunky at math, so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. :)
No math. Find some aluminum and chuck it up. Go slow.
All the stuff I did, I didn't bother calculating the diameters. Parts needed to be knurled so they 'got' knurled.

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
What brand knurler is that? I really want to see how you make out with it. Mine is a disaster! Please start a thread with your adventure.
Robert

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm a total flunky at math, so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. :)
Me too. :) I just use an online calculator. I use this one except I have the formula turned into an app on my phone.

https://littlemachineshop.com/reference/knurler.php

If going for a fully formed knurl on softer materials just have at it. Me personally I always calculate for knurling diameter no matter what. Double tracking bothers me.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
What brand knurler is that? I really want to see how you make out with it. Mine is a disaster! Please start a thread with your adventure.
Robert
Eagle Rock Knurlcraft K1-44. I use the same one.

Reactions: rwm

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Thanks for the link Will. RWM, I'll see what I can do....By guess, and by God

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Has anyone seen or used the Dorian 3 jaw knurler or equivalent?
Robert

Titanium Knurler

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
rwm, I have one. I like it. If you look at a recent thread here on H-M called:
Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question
you will see some photos and a brief discussion of the knurler. I have limited experience with it but would be happy to answer any questions that I can. Mike

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
My dad just gave me one of those scribe stands. He was a pattern maker in Worcester Ma. He worked on the very first space suites back in the 50's, but only because David Clarke industries subbed out some work. Anywho, that will also make a nice indicator stand with fine adjust.
More starrett goodies.

metric thread gauge
View attachment 313517

Scribing block (needs a scribe, but should be easy enough to sort something out)
View attachment 313518 View attachment 313519 View attachment 313520

both mucky but a good clean will sort them out.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member

Amazing . She'd surely be written up in here for not wearing proper PPE . No safety glasses . :rolleyes:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Got me a new shop stool. This one is made by JS Products who makes the same stool & shelving for Dewalt. That's why the base resembles storage racks. I use a $20 HF mechanic's roller but wanted something a bit taller for my work bench. I didn't want the Dewalt yellow one.

Masterforce is a Menards brand but we don't have Menards here on the west coast. The Menards one was supposed to be dark green. On the website they were listed as black. Product page said no shipping to CA but I tried ordering it anyway & it shipped.

Box that it came in showed the dark green but the one I got was grey. I'm happy with that! Any of those colors would have been fine with me as long as it wasn't yellow & didn't say Dewalt on it. Even with shipping it came out cheaper than the Dewalt one. Thing is beefy with nice size casters, I doubt my fat arse can break this one! I'm liking it so far.

20200215_001256-600x910.jpg

silverhawk

Registered
Registered
Got me a new shop stool. This one is made by JS Products who makes the same stool & shelving for Dewalt. That's why the base resembles storage racks. I use a $20 HF mechanic's roller but wanted something a bit taller for my work bench. I didn't want the Dewalt yellow one.

Masterforce is a Menards brand but we don't have Menards here on the west coast. The Menards one was supposed to be dark green. On the website they were listed as black. Product page said no shipping to CA but I tried ordering it anyway & it shipped.

Box that it came in showed the dark green but the one I got was grey. I'm happy with that! Any of those colors would have been fine with me as long as it wasn't yellow & didn't say Dewalt on it. Even with shipping it came out cheaper than the Dewalt one. Thing is beefy with nice size casters, I doubt my fat arse can break this one! I'm liking it so far.

View attachment 313644
If I lived in the eastern midwest, I would definitely be buying one of the masterforce 56" green bottom tool boxes. It's the closest match to my old green craftsman, and would be large enough to hold my wooden tool boxes. They look fabulous and sturdy. That stool looks pretty stout. I look forward to feedback from you on it

joe

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock