What Did You Buy Today?

jwmelvin

Registered
Registered
I ordered a few things last week and the USPS didn’t exactly treat the box very well:

It contained only one of the items I had ordered. After an email and call to LMS, they had a new one on the way that same day and I now have a few things to continue my learning: a 3” screwless vise, 2-flute M42 endmill, set of HSS boring bars, Noga-style indicator base, and some AXA tool holders. A few other recent additions made the picture.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ordered a few things last week and the USPS didn’t exactly treat the box very well:

It contained only one of the items I had ordered.
I have had lots of boxes arrive like that. I gave up buying ebay auctions with many tools. No matter how much I would stress good packaging, I would get boxes like you showed. My Wife keeps joking that someone working in the Denver sorting facility, has one heck of a good tool collection. At least you are still getting what you ordered. Kinda sucks to get a good deal, only to have none of it show up, and I get a refund instead.

Superburban

Actually picked this up at a yard sale yesterday. A late 40's vintage Craftsman 8" table saw. with a 1/2 HP delta motor. I'm a sucker for old cast iron tools, even if it is a woodworking tool (I certainly did not need another table saw). After looking at it today, I think it would be nice to have a small table saw in the shop, and this will fit right in with the rest of the old tools in the shop.

Attachments

Superburban

Oh yea, the other thing that drew my attention, was the price. Sign said $20, but as I was looking at it, the seller said I could take it for $10. I tried to stay calm, and say ok.

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Oh yea, the other thing that drew my attention, was the price. Sign said $20, but as I was looking at it, the seller said I could take it for $10. I tried to stay calm, and say ok.
YOU SUCK!!! But, nice score! I have a full size Delta, that I was told was WW2 surplus. Its taking up some very precious space in my garage. I might use it only once or twice a year if that. I need to down size, but I am 100% sure that I need a capable table saw.

Shootymacshootface

bought a south bend 9" lathe with 4 boxes of tooling today. I'm totally stoked!
Very awesome! I got my first lathe when I was well into my 40's. It has become my favorite tool of all time. Now I don't think that I could live without one. You will find more uses for that one machine than you ever thought possible.
Pictures or it didn't happen!

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
Picked up a used Kurt 4" vise. My 3" import will be relegated to duties where I absolutely need the swivel and the lack of accuracy won't be a detriment.

It has a few character marks but looks to be in good condition. Will be looking to collect or make some jaws for it along with a set of keys to go to the table.

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
Patience will pay off in the long run, most times.

I had a copy of AutoCAD, Ver 2005, for years. Whenever the drive crashed, I would just reload it and copy my version of the *.mnu file back in. This last time the disk (CD/DVD) had a bad sector(?) and wouldn't reload. I thrashed around for a while and then set the thought aside. Downloaded versions of current CAD are available from Amazon. But no hard copy versions and nothing as old as what I have.

Then too, I was using WinDoze XP and that will no longer function on line. All the newer machines come set up with WinDoze 10 and my older version of CAD is incompatable with with anything newer than XP. Quite a dilemma~~~

The biggest problems? I'm self taught and after a half dozen strokes, my mind isn't as good as it used to be. I'm too old and too busy to relearn a newer version. Maybe not so busy as too slow now. Not that long a learning curve, but my mind isn't good for it any more. There are a few downsides to retirement.

Anyway, I found a hard copy of AutoCAD, through Amazon though they weren't the seller. ACAD 2006, it can use the older command structure and *.mnu file. So no relearning, just the miscellaneous set-ups that I use. It wasn't cheap cheap, but inexpensive enough that I jumped on it. With both feet~~~ Best of all, the program is native to XP but will run on newer versions of WinDoze. So I can use it on my older Toshibas AND the newer Dell 64 bit machine. Better there than my ACAD 2005. I like~~~ Now if I can just get the mapping extensions back up~~~

I don't use 3D all that much, doing mostly electrical drafting and sketches that I can have the program do fairly exact measurments from. But as a non-commercial user, it means a lot to me to be able to accurately sketch up ideas and save a copy to my hard drive. And print. And read copies of *.dwg files that come my way.

Aaron_W

Technically I bought it Wednesday, but I just rolled it into the shop tonight, I'm going to Level Up my Machinery Tetris! :grin:

Atlas 7B shaper, heavy little guy but looks to be all there and fully functional, just needs a bit of cleaning. No stand and the vise has been replaced with a screwless type. I found an older post for making a scraper vise, so one more thing added to the project list.

I'll fabricate a stand based on photos I've seen of the Atlas stand with storage in the base.

Atlas 7B.jpg

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought over 400 of those a couple of years ago, all sizes. They were 2 miles from my shop and it took many trips to get them all. $1 each!
Sweet deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
Just scored this on eBay, going to collect tonight as it's only down the road from me. 10 ton hydraulic bench press. Allegedly Sealey branded, but who cares for the price I paid. Table support pins will get remade, it's mucky as hell and I need to do some metal bashing on the frame and table but other than its supposed to be good.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg

Superburban

Table support pins will get remade, it's mucky as hell and I need to do some metal bashing on the frame and table but other than its supposed to be good.

View attachment 316116
I would also suggest rotating the table 90 degs, like it is supposed to sit. Cool score, better then trying to deal with the bottle jack style.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Technically I bought this yesterday.
A 48” x 36” sheet of 1/4” 6061
Plus a bunch of odds and sods of 6061;
One wrist pin from something huge. Thrown in for good measure.

Shootymacshootface

Nice work.
I might copy yours.
Thinking about 1/2” thick aluminum handle with sockets pressed into undersized holes.

Technically I bought this yesterday.
A 48” x 36” sheet of 1/4” 6061
Plus a bunch of odds and sods of 6061;
One wrist pin from something huge. Thrown in for good measure.

Good score! You will need carbide tooling to make anything out of that wrist pin.

Ianagos

Active User
Registered
Just scored this on eBay, going to collect tonight as it's only down the road from me. 10 ton hydraulic bench press. Allegedly Sealey branded, but who cares for the price I paid. Table support pins will get remade, it's mucky as hell and I need to do some metal bashing on the frame and table but other than its supposed to be good.
Just like someone above said you should put the table on correctly. Looks like the last user didn’t exactly know how it was supposed to work.

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
Just like someone above said you should put the table on correctly. Looks like the last user didn’t exactly know how it was supposed to work.
That pic is from the eBay listing, where the seller had the press in storage. When I went to pick it up the table was in the correct orientation. I don’t know how the table got bent like that, but the bottom cross members are twisted as well. It won’t take a lot to clean up and get straightened up.

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
I’ve spent the last hour or so fixing the pressure gauge - it was losing the glycerine from inside the case. Oh, and the leak / bad seal the seller mentioned? It’s a completely missing sealing washer between the gauge and the top of the cylinder. It’s pennies to fix.

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I’ll be watching for your DRO install thread.

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
New sealing washer for the press (£0.44), and some hydraulic fluid.

It's amazing how well it keeps fluid in the system now that there's a washer between the gauge and the cylinder. BTW repairs to the gauge are good and holding, glycerine is no longer weeping out the bottom where the brass threaded section comes through the gauge case. :)

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock