What Did You Buy Today?

New MIG pliers in advance of the Primeweld MIG180 that’s in transit.
9e8ba0c3cb64ca3214f687aba83092b2.jpg

Weekly Costco run; they had these on sale:

View attachment 460512
Online they are a 2-pack for $61, s/h included. In the warehouse $30 for one (only "needed" one). They have a nice mounting system that allowed me to mount off-center to suit two joists:

View attachment 460513

The new light is in the red box in the upper right corner. I now have four, 4' fixtures ringing the primary work area, and almost need a shade 5 to work on the "tall" bench where the new light lives. Overall lighting levels went up by a couple of hundred lux (now range from 850 – 950 lux in all work zones other than the tall bench is 1,600 lux).
Your shop looks good.

Thank you for the encouragement... it is the threading man, it is the threading... still have not learned how to do those... Well, I have not even tried to learn how to thread...

Anyway, I will give this a try when all is done with the shop. In the meantime, I chickened out and bought a 7/8" x 27 and, just in case, an M22x1 tap and die to make the threads...

Several videos of folks making these...

So, since I have two kits, if anyone is interested in one of the sets of build plans... let me know. Happy to gift it. I will keep the materials as backup in case I screw one up in the build process. But I do not need two set of plans.

Using a tap and die to thread isn't cheating. ;)

Weekly Costco run; they had these on sale:

View attachment 460512
Online they are a 2-pack for $61, s/h included. In the warehouse $30 for one (only "needed" one). They have a nice mounting system that allowed me to mount off-center to suit two joists:

View attachment 460513

The new light is in the red box in the upper right corner. I now have four, 4' fixtures ringing the primary work area, and almost need a shade 5 to work on the "tall" bench where the new light lives. Overall lighting levels went up by a couple of hundred lux (now range from 850 – 950 lux in all work zones other than the tall bench is 1,600 lux).

I've looked at these lights at Costco. I can always use another light in the shop, maybe I'll pick one up next time I'm there.

Thank you for the encouragement... it is the threading man, it is the threading... still have not learned how to do those... Well, I have not even tried to learn how to thread...

Anyway, I will give this a try when all is done with the shop. In the meantime, I chickened out and bought a 7/8" x 27 and, just in case, an M22x1 tap and die to make the threads...

Several videos of folks making these...

So, since I have two kits, if anyone is interested in one of the sets of build plans... let me know. Happy to gift it. I will keep the materials as backup in case I screw one up in the build process. But I do not need two set of plans.
I would interested in those plans. I'm new as well and I've been teaching myself by making all the tooling I dont have already. It's been a great experience. I would encourage you to just jump in and go for it as well. You can always buy new metal and cutters if screw up an operation, but you can't buy the hands on experience.

Scored these giant dies with holders down at the local habitat store for $10.

One is Hollands Mfg. CO. Erie PA. The other has no makers mark that I found. I don't think I'll ever need to use them but they'll make excellent wall art.

20230921_172528.jpg

Edit: found this online, published in 1932. Looks to be the exact model I have.
Screenshot_20230921_173357_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I've looked at these lights at Costco. I can always use another light in the shop, maybe I'll pick one up next time I'm there.

Sale ends this weekend. The three level lighting feature is only effective if hung a foot or more below a white ceiling: the “side” lighting is more up-lighting so doesn’t add much with dark ceiling or open joists.

I have found myself of late going around some of my tools due to not wanting to pick them up. Lazy? Scared I might drop them on my toe? Hurt my back? Mostly lazy. In any event, I realized it was time that I invest in or fabricate a winch of some type to help with some of the heavier pieces like a vise with a rotating base, large rotary table, or the tilting table that I typically find myself disassembling to mount it up so I dont have to lift the full Monty. Looked like the "Sky Hook" would be just the ticket until I saw what they want for one. I couldn't see paying that much. Fleabay has one pop up every now and again for $600-$700 but that still seemed high. Finally found one on FB for $400 in pretty bad shape. Rust, busted, missing handles, greasy. Used for sure. Figured that if it did what I needed it to do and I liked it, I could always trade up to a newer model down the road. It showed up on Friday. I guess I expected too much. The condition was as described, but the item itself isn't what I expected. I doubt I would pay $400 for a new one after seeing what this thing has for a soul. Spent the weekend taking it apart, cleaning everything up, painting etc. The CXA base didn't fit my Aloris CXA post so I had to open up the dovetails. Made two handles for it. Put the arm in the lathe and ran some sandpaper over it prior to paint (you can see yellow paint dust on the lathe chuck). Painted it with some Rusto implement paint.

Turned out OK so Monday morning I called the company and ordered some replacement decals. I was shocked to find that they wanted $20 for them but decided to in favor anyway. The only one I really wanted was the one that read 500 pound load limit. They said there would be a little bit for shipping when they actually shipped. Cant be too bad right? Just a couple of stickers. Put them in an envelope and put a stamp on it and I am good to go. NOPE. $30 bucks for shipping. Shame on me.

Got it all back together and stickered up. You will notice that the original manufacturer sticker is behind the hand wheel, I didn't disturb that one. The new company sticker is near the base. You can bet for $50 worth of stickers I am going to use every one.

Now before the P.E.T.L. (people for the ethical treatment of lathes) chime in, I have no intention of using this thing on my cross slide. I just couldn't hold it with one hand and snap a pic with my cell phone with the other. I have a heavy duty cart that I am going to mount it to. The cart will store the heavy items and those items will double as ballast.

The material this is manufactured with is not very robust, but 500 lbs isn't a tall order either (but I wont test it just the same). Hope I like it more over time, not very comfortable with my purchase at the moment

IMG_0407.jpg

wow, $50 they robbed you... They are proud of their stuff apparently. Did it come in an envelope, or box? I would call them back and tell them what I think of them robbing you. Any pics of the before?

wow, $50 they robbed you... They are proud of their stuff apparently. Did it come in an envelope, or box? I would call them back and tell them what I think of them robbing you. Any pics of the before?
The labels were individually cut and in a clear plastic divided sleeve. single sleeve about 8.5x11. Shipped UPS in a padded envelope, the yellow ones with the asbestos padding on the sides. Just kidding, but you know which ones I am speaking of.

I didn't take any before pics. I went back to FB to see if I could find the posting but I failed. I am not very good at FB either. As my wife will attest, I am very bad about that not taking before pics. I get something in that I know needs work (and even some new stuff) and I start taking it apart the minute it shows up. Before I know it, its apart all over the workbench and the paying jobs are on the back burner. I am even worse about it if the item shows up on a Friday, then it is "drop everything and start the weekend".

my wife - "You need to grow up"
me - "NO - NO - NO!!!! while stomping my feet and spitting Lucky Charms everywhere (not the marshmallow ones, I picked those out and ate them first)

Back