What Did You Buy Today?

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Nice. Never seen a fire engine red tap and die set before! I have a fairly large T-handle tap wrench made by P&N — I think they’re decent quality tools.

-frank
Thanks, Frank,
I have a fairly useless tap handle now and no dies so I thought it was a good opportunity to get a decent tap handle, and dies at a reasonable price. KBC HSS sets are basically the same price for more taps and dies so something has to give.

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
I bought a Lufkin 0-3" depth micrometer for $25. I've needed one of these occasionally for years. I usually just use the depth function on my dial calipers. I saw the price on this one and finally bit the bullet. I received it yesterday and it's in great shape.

25 bucks? Score!!!

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I went to the large grocery store near my house today — flour, sugar, soup, etc all empty from the shelves and lineups at the cashiers not unlike Christmas Eve. So..... I bought a new vise instead! Scrxx you, Coronavirus!

Okay I know, I shouldn’t joke. It’s not funny. But I did buy the vise.

I’ve had a smaller version of this for some years already but find myself reaching for it more for machine setup as opposed to precision work which I was I got it for in the first place. So I figured I’d get a second and slightly larger one.

86ED868A-DE14-4C50-89CA-D667194F0654.jpeg

Same manufacturer as my first one (it’s an Asian import) which I have been really satisfied with. And according to the accompanying facts and specification booklet “....It’s a kind of much actual valuable machinery accessory with simple structure, convenient operation, great clamping force, high accuracy, large adjustable scope”. Like, how could I not buy it?

Hope this doesn’t start a run on vise tools — there’s already some guy around here that seems to buying things up left, right, and centre....

Thanks for looking! Oh, and I got a free Allen wrench in the box that doesn’t fit anything on this model, BONUS!

-frank

tjb

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I haven't bought a new tool of any consequence for quite a while, and I just got paid for a couple of jobs, and the check is in the mail for a couple more, so time for a new tool. The next project involves some steel fab and I've been wanting one of these for a while.....so.....

Haven't used it yet, just arrived about an hour ago. We'll see how well it works. I chose this one because the batteries are the same as the rest of my tools.

View attachment 313222
I have the Dewalt equivalent. Love it.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I went to the large grocery store near my house today — flour, sugar, soup, etc all empty from the shelves and lineups at the cashiers not unlike Christmas Eve. So..... I bought a new vise instead! Scrxx you, Coronavirus!

Okay I know, I shouldn’t joke. It’s not funny. But I did buy the vise.

I’ve had a smaller version of this for some years already but find myself reaching for it more for machine setup as opposed to precision work which I was I got it for in the first place. So I figured I’d get a second and slightly larger one.

View attachment 316579

Same manufacturer as my first one (it’s an Asian import) which I have been really satisfied with. And according to the accompanying facts and specification booklet “....It’s a kind of much actual valuable machinery accessory with simple structure, convenient operation, great clamping force, high accuracy, large adjustable scope”. Like, how could I not buy it?

Hope this doesn’t start a run on vise tools — there’s already some guy around here that seems to buying things up left, right, and centre....

Thanks for looking! Oh, and I got a free Allen wrench in the box that doesn’t fit anything on this model, BONUS!

-frank
Wait a second...are you... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Got me a new shop stool. This one is made by JS Products who makes the same stool & shelving for Dewalt. That's why the base resembles storage racks. I use a $20 HF mechanic's roller but wanted something a bit taller for my work bench. I didn't want the Dewalt yellow one.

Masterforce is a Menards brand but we don't have Menards here on the west coast. The Menards one was supposed to be dark green. On the website they were listed as black. Product page said no shipping to CA but I tried ordering it anyway & it shipped.

Box that it came in showed the dark green but the one I got was grey. I'm happy with that! Any of those colors would have been fine with me as long as it wasn't yellow & didn't say Dewalt on it. Even with shipping it came out cheaper than the Dewalt one. Thing is beefy with nice size casters, I doubt my fat arse can break this one! I'm liking it so far.

View attachment 313644
Oh Man! I'm in the market for a shop stool, is that available here in the states? That is bad ass!

ttabbal

Collet blocks!
(Thanks [mention]Z2V [/mention]I wasn’t expecting to also get a nut!)

I got a set of ER40 blocks from them. I have been very happy with them. I miced them and they were parallel and even within a couple of tenths. Estimated as I don't have a mic with the tenths scale that size, but close enough for me. Certainly under a thou.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Oh Man! I'm in the market for a shop stool, is that available here in the states? That is bad ass!
Yes, can get it at Menards. We don't have Menards here on the west coast so I ordered it. Not sure if they have Menards where you are.

Dewalt sells the same exact stool except its yellow.

GunsOfNavarone

Yes, can get it at Menards. We don't have Menards here on the west coast so I ordered it. Not sure if they have Menards where you are.

Dewalt sells the same exact stool except its yellow.
Wow, there is one 115 miles away. Not worth driving but definitely delivery

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered
I have been needing some smaller R-8 collets so I went to the local used machine dealer and looked at what they had. They had new imports for $6 in all the common sizes nicely organized in neat stacks or used American made in various conditions, thrown in a bin on a bottom shelf. So I dove right into the bin and started looking. Came up with a 1/16", holy crap! How could you ever not break an end mill that small. I put it back and managed to find a 1/8" and 3/16". The 1/8" was used but clean and unknown maker. The 3/16" was NOS Lyndex in the box with grease still on it. Got them home, cleaned them up and checked the fit.

Unlike my import collets, I don't have to crank them down hard to get them to hold. Just tight and they grip and don't pull down in a cut. Woohoo. I will be going back to dig through the rest of them that were still in the boxes or tubes and see if I can't replace all of my import collets. Heck I may even pick up the 1/16" so I can spin sewing needles in it.

Weldo

I found some more information on that weird fly cutter I got on ebay. It's made by a company called Rotary Technologies Corporation. They specialize in round insert tooling where the insert actually spins as it cuts, thus increasing tool life and cutting speeds.

The insert on the fly cutter does not rotate but is positioned such that it takes a kind of shearing cut rather than a typical plowing cut. They say they are made for lower HP machines. The insert is two sided and still available from Rotary. I found some on ebay for $60 a piece! :eek:

Here's the info page

Pretty neat!

erikmannie

I bought an 87 piece metric gauge block set. Even though it was the lowest grade and an import brand, it set me back $171.

Last edited:

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I found some more information on that weird fly cutter I got on ebay. It's made by a company called Rotary Technologies Corporation. They specialize in round insert tooling where the insert actually spins as it cuts, thus increasing tool life and cutting speeds.

The insert on the fly cutter does not rotate but is positioned such that it takes a kind of shearing cut rather than a typical plowing cut. They say they are made for lower HP machines. The insert is two sided and still available from Rotary. I found some on ebay for $60 a piece! :eek:

Here's the info page

Pretty neat!
That's crazy talk....please give us followup.
R

petcnc

Active User
Registered
I won an ebay auction and bought some unbelievable inserts that can machine the hardest metal (for example a bearing) like butter.
I first saw them here (1:50) where the guy machined a ball bearing.
They are called ELBOR inserts and made in Russia and are cheap.
They arrived today, I made a provisiolal holder for my mini lathe and test them. I could not believe my eyes!
I machined an old bearing at 600 rpm without any lubricants or cutting oil like aluminum!!!!

ELBOR2.jpg

ELBOR3.jpg

I will make a proper holder and test it ASAP

Weldo

Whoa! They're like diamond or something I guess?

GunsOfNavarone

I won an ebay auction and bought some unbelievable inserts that can machine the hardest metal (for example a bearing) like butter.
I first saw them here (1:50) where the guy machined a ball bearing.
They are called ELBOR inserts and made in Russia and are cheap.
They arrived today, I made a provisiolal holder for my mini lathe and test them. I could not believe my eyes!
I machined an old bearing at 600 rpm without any lubricants or cutting oil like aluminum!!!!

View attachment 316804

View attachment 316805

I will make a proper holder and test it ASAP
I wonder how they would work on titanium...Any link to these (seller)

Weldo

Just watched that vid. The guy gets an almost grinded like finish on that bearing! Pretty cool stuff. Everyone should have one of these in our tool chests, just in case!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Whoa! They're like diamond or something I guess?
Look up PCD inserts (polycrystalline diamond). They're available in common insert shapes. Also look up CBN (cubic boron nitride) inserts if you have a need to machine really hard materials. IIRC CBN can machine even carbide.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my tig machine. Bought another Everlast. They had the 250EX 150 bucks off. Also ordered a watercooler and a CK torch from HTP.
I’ll be interested in your impressions of the 250. There’s a TIG in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erikmannie

Today I bought fillet gauges and a Starrett protractor.

In the photo, the back side is for concave fillets.

C8991C05-ECC8-4D14-B393-190C306EE9FD.png

petcnc

Active User
Registered
I wonder how they would work on titanium...Any link to these (seller)
The name of the seller is tapsi1105 but It seems that the seller had only these items at the time.
If you search the ebay for "polycrystal insert" or "CBN insert" there are plenty of them for several tool holders!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock