What Did You Buy Today?

Finally came across a metal shear for a very decent price that I could swing. Its a DiAcro Shear # 4. I've never seen one of these before so thought I would share. Its the predecessor to the current 24" model which I think has been around for a very long time.

The top blade unfortunately has ~4" cracked off the right end and its missing 1 material hold down bolt assy, but otherwise solid; cuts very well. I will be getting a new blade and tidying it up a bit when I get around to it.

PXL_20230923_141816970.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of using a small electric utility winch to make one…. I have one in a box that a friend gave me… 2,000 lbs capacity… but only need it for smaller stuff. I still have the gantry crane for the really heavy things.

And make something like this (smaller of course) and attach it to the lift cart (that is heavy as heck)…to get a setup that I can move around the garage…cart already has a 12 volt battery that I could use to power the winch…

View attachment 460617
Let me add it to my notebook before I forget…

View attachment 460618
The electric winch should work great. Be sure and find one El that is bi directional with a brake.
Actual weight of 5/8"x12' sheet rock is 105.6 lbs. I installed around 7k sf of it it my shop, and your right it is a pretty unforgetable experience, especially on 15' ceilings. Mike
I thought I was 25% more tired than I should have been! I only had 10 foot ceilings but it was 2 floors and 100+ degrees.

Thanks for straightening me out!

Finally came across a metal shear for a very decent price that I could swing. Its a DiAcro Shear # 4.
I've got some of those round tuits keeena ! :grin: If I can ask , what was the going price of the shear ?

I've got some of those round tuits keeena ! :grin: If I can ask , what was the going price of the shear ?
I have more round-tuits than I'd care to admit!

I picked it up for $240; I'd think quite a deal. I was expecting to have to easily shell out a grand+ if I wanted one. I'm expecting the price of a top blade to be far more than what I paid for the whole machine; we'll see! Maybe it will just remain a 20" model. :p

Asking because I have 24" down here . :grin:

I have more round-tuits than I'd care to admit!

I picked it up for $240; I'd think quite a deal. I was expecting to have to easily shell out a grand+ if I wanted one. I'm expecting the price of a top blade to be far more than what I paid for the whole machine; we'll see! Maybe it will just remain a 20" model. :p
That was a great price, even if you need a new blade!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of using a small electric utility winch to make one…. I have one in a box that a friend gave me… 2,000 lbs capacity… but only need it for smaller stuff. I still have the gantry crane for the really heavy things.

And make something like this (smaller of course) and attach it to the lift cart (that is heavy as heck)…to get a setup that I can move around the garage…cart already has a 12 volt battery that I could use to power the winch…

View attachment 460617
Let me add it to my notebook before I forget…

View attachment 460618
I think the reason lifting stuff is so expensive is the liability aspect. I’m sure any one of us would be capable of fabricating a suitable small crane. Just don’t sell it and the cost will be reasonable.

John

Back