What Did You Buy Today?

A bunch of oddball stuff. I'm not really looking for some of this stuff yet. Just seems to pop up.

First is a power plant that will fit the narrow hood of the '37 dodge. Was only a few miles down the road. Trans might be coming next week.
It's a 300cu inline 6. For those of you who know, yes it's going in a dodge...
Spend4.jpg

Followed by, I should have ordered these before they went out of stock the first time, and ended up paying the price. There's a lot of things I just like HSS for, and these should be easier to sharpen in a hurry.

Spend1.jpg

Followed by, a cheapie. But there's times in the garage I have no idea what I'm working with!
Spend2.jpg

And finally. These were listed as 6uF, but came in as 10uF. Not that I'm complaining. These will be for the induction heater project I want to blow the cobwebs off of sometime this winter. Did not EVER expect to have a case of them in the shop. It's going to be really interesting given what these can do. For those who know, they're 700Volt 1000Amp rated high frequency capacitors.

Spend3.jpg

Local rebuilder would use the Gm cam grind and get more hp and torque.

We had one such engine in a 67 Ford in high school.

Added headers and 4 bbl carb, ran very well after that.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

In 1987 I purchased a new Ford Bronco. At the time the standard engine was the 300 (4.9 liter) inline 6. To step up to the 5.0 V8 it would cost another $350.00. At that time the 5.0-liter V8 only put out 225 hp. Being cheap I opted for the 6 cylinder and I'm glad I did. The 6 had better torque at low rpm's than the V8. Since most of its time was spent towing a trailer or working off road it was in its element. It was no speed demon, but it was a great workhorse.

In 1987 I purchased a new Ford Bronco. At the time the standard engine was the 300 (4.9 liter) inline 6...The 6 had better torque at low rpm's than the V8.
This is an '86 motor. Have a lead on a 5 speed trans that was mated to one in a F-250 from a '92. Should be a good fit for this application.

I don't want a speed demon, it's for an old truck. It needs to be reliable, narrow, be very well balanced (inline 6 is perfectly balanced), large displacement, and overhead valve, and NOT overhead cam. This or the old 292 Chevs were about the only candidates. I have a soft spot for these 300's. So 300 was the choice. Have a line on one or two more, so might snag those too.

There's guys doing some cool stuff with these now. Going to see if an old forged steel crank can be found, and possibly cross flow Aussie heads. Promax makes a new head for these with insert valve seats, so that's a possibility also. In the back of my brain, I'd like to try the old cut/weld Cleveland or LS heads on one of these someday. This would be the mule to try that in...

All for future me! (Except snagging parts when they're available.)

I ran a Chev 250 L6 in my stepside for almost 20 years as a daily driver. Love the sixes. In the final 5 years when I was smog exempt, I replaced the smog head with a Mercruiser marine head (1960's compression, 1980's manufacture), added a 390 CFM 4-bbl Holley that I converted to center hung floats with 4-corner metering, a vintage Offenhauser intake, Pace setter 3-1 headers with dual exhaust, and a Clifford 270 hydro cam. At that point, it was like a V8.

I also had a 1968 Pontiac OHC 250 L6 that pulled from my Firebird. The OHC L6 is superior in every way to the Chevy, better air flow, smooth running, and also takes the same bolt-ons as the Chevy for the most part. I was going to put the Pontiac in the Chevy, but life got in the way.

I ran a Chev 250 L6 in my stepside for almost 20 years as a daily driver. Love the sixes. In the final 5 years when I was smog exempt, I replaced the smog head with a Mercruiser marine head (1960's compression, 1980's manufacture), added a 390 CFM 4-bbl Holley that I converted to center hung floats with 4-corner metering, a vintage Offenhauser intake, Pace setter 3-1 headers with dual exhaust, and a Clifford 270 hydro cam. At that point, it was like a V8.

I also had a 1968 Pontiac OHC 250 L6 that pulled from my Firebird. The OHC L6 is superior in every way to the Chevy, better air flow, smooth running, and also takes the same bolt-ons as the Chevy for the most part. I was going to put the Pontiac in the Chevy, but life got in the way.
They sound great with dual exhaust!

Speaking of cute little engines, a friend of mine had a 1962 Pontiac Tempest with the slant 4 and the 4-speed transmission. That little 195 cu. in. engine with the 4-bbl. carb put out 155 hp. Since the car only weighed in at 2785 lbs. it was quicker than most full size Chevies with the 283. He would regularly take it to the local drag strip (Union Grove WI.) and win class trophies.

Speaking of cute little engines, a friend of mine had a 1962 Pontiac Tempest with the slant 4 and the 4-speed transmission. That little 195 cu. in. engine with the 4-bbl. carb put out 155 hp. Since the car only weighed in at 2785 lbs. it was quicker than most full size Chevies with the 283. He would regularly take it to the local drag strip (Union Grove WI.) and win class trophies.
That was called the "iron duke" 4 cyl, and was the most popular engine for sprint car midget racing in its class well into the 80's. It was a Pontiac 389 V8 cut in half.

Back