What Did You Buy Today?

Bought enough bins and the metal wall mount racks to double the size of my nuts and bolts storage. Conveniently located next to the beverage cooler.

I'm sure I'll outgrow this space in another year and need more.
IMG_5190.JPG

The Tormach should be a great addition to the shop. Love your buddy's articulating dump rig. Cheers, Mike

About 4 years back I picked up a USA made 8" face mill with 12 cutter inserts (SPG632). It was in with some stuff that I picked up, certainly wasn't looking for one. The fella told me it made a nice finish. Some of the inserts still had a good corner, but many of the inserts were completely used up. Thinking that mixing inserts would likely not produce the finish I would like, and not wanting to invest in $70+in new inserts I set it aside. Saved a search on fleabay just in case anybody would offer up a set of 12 or more same vendor inserts for a kookie low price. These showed up today:
SPG-632.jpg
Figure at $0.952 each it was time to try out the monster. What do think an 8" face mill should spin at, say 3000-3500 rpm? Probably wont start quite that fast. Truth be known, the prospect of having a 20 pound cutter spinning around in front of me scares the scrap out of me.

About 4 years back I picked up a USA made 8" face mill with 12 cutter inserts (SPG632). It was in with some stuff that I picked up, certainly wasn't looking for one. The fella told me it made a nice finish. Some of the inserts still had a good corner, but many of the inserts were completely used up. Thinking that mixing inserts would likely not produce the finish I would like, and not wanting to invest in $70+in new inserts I set it aside. Saved a search on fleabay just in case anybody would offer up a set of 12 or more same vendor inserts for a kookie low price. These showed up today:
View attachment 461318
Figure at $0.952 each it was time to try out the monster. What do think an 8" face mill should spin at, say 3000-3500 rpm? Probably wont start quite that fast. Truth be known, the prospect of having a 20 pound cutter spinning around in front of me scares the scrap out of me.
I don't know what machine or material you intend to use the 8" face mill on, however 3000-3500 rpm seems way too fast.
My 1st guess was 500 rpm.
Of course, carbide grade will be a factor also.
Take a look at the linked chart as a point of reference. Start slow.

I have a 6" insert face mill, made by kennametal IIRC, that I use in conjunction with a 8000 lb mill. I shoot for 350 RPM max in steel. That's only 500 fpm cutting speed, a bit low for most carbide inserts, but I'm not running production. Keep in mind that with 12 inserts, you want a commensurate feed. IPM = RPM * feed per cutter * # cutters (if my math is working today). Better in my opinion to run your speed down somewhat than to let your feed per tooth get too low, and/or consider leaving out every other cutter (insert).

Last edited:
Somehow, I envision the environment in your shop would feel no different from this pic with that 6"x12t cutter at 1000 SFM. Maybe not liquid, but close. The chips will still burn the hair off you and leave blisters. Maybe 200 RPM for starters?

ZUFM6MFMEFNYJFYBG5FYA6ILQ4.jpg

went to an estate sale for the second time... this time they DID sell the tools. Some were outrageously priced, higher than new.. some a little lower than new. But this one was below what I thought they would ask. I lost my Makita LS1013 many years ago. I brought it up out of the basement to work on some stuff outside. When I brought it back in it got caught (cord) on the handrail I think, and caused me and the saw to go flying down the stairs. I was able to grab the handrail but the saw was broken. Ever since then I have been wanting another LS1013. I just should have bought a new one, instead I waited until they were discontinued. Then Festool came out with a new one... That I couldn't justify , but wanted due to the dust collection and small footprint. Well this was my third choice, the 12" or the 10". Notice that the blade is on backward, I don't know why.. it's a junky blade 60tooth, I cleaned it up today after getting it. It was in a cabinet making shop.. It was well used and dirty.. It's also out of alignment, I have to start working on that. $200.. It's missing the dust collection..
PXL_20230929_155246577.jpgPXL_20230929_155254822.jpgPXL_20230929_155256991.jpgPXL_20230929_155303676.jpg

All cleaned up.. not fully assembled.
It won't fit where my current HF saw is (a copy of the Makita 1011 saw) My wings have to be redone for it to fit there. And the shelves need to be raised or removed.

PXL_20230929_182810478.jpgPXL_20230929_182822809.jpg

I don't know what machine or material you intend to use the 8" face mill on, however 3000-3500 rpm seems way too fast.
My 1st guess was 500 rpm.
Of course, carbide grade will be a factor also.
Take a look at the linked chart as a point of reference. Start slow.

Dont sweat it sir. It was intended to be a joke. Thanks for the reference info tho.

went to an estate sale for the second time... this time they DID sell the tools. Some were outrageously priced, higher than new.. some a little lower than new. But this one was below what I thought they would ask. I lost my Makita LS1013 many years ago. I brought it up out of the basement to work on some stuff outside. When I brought it back in it got caught (cord) on the handrail I think, and caused me and the saw to go flying down the stairs. I was able to grab the handrail but the saw was broken. Ever since then I have been wanting another LS1013. I just should have bought a new one, instead I waited until they were discontinued. Then Festool came out with a new one... That I couldn't justify , but wanted due to the dust collection and small footprint. Well this was my third choice, the 12" or the 10". Notice that the blade is on backward, I don't know why.. it's a junky blade 60tooth, I cleaned it up today after getting it. It was in a cabinet making shop.. It was well used and dirty.. It's also out of alignment, I have to start working on that. $200.. It's missing the dust collection..
View attachment 461352View attachment 461353View attachment 461354View attachment 461355

All cleaned up.. not fully assembled.
It won't fit where my current HF saw is (a copy of the Makita 1011 saw) My wings have to be redone for it to fit there. And the shelves need to be raised or removed.

View attachment 461356View attachment 461357

We've run saw blades backwards to cut vinyl lattice and trimwork... from the white marks on the blade, I'm guessing that's what the previous owner was doing with your saw...

-Bear

Back