What Did You Buy Today?

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just my opinion, but I have had good luck limiting myself to Miller machines and 220V.
I have an old Miller mig welder. Great machine. I see a lot of welders having problems with their Miller Dynasty tig machines. So because of that I decided to stay with the Everlast brand for my tig.

erikmannie

I have an old Miller mig welder. Great machine. I see a lot of welders having problems with their Miller Dynasty tig machines. So because of that I decided to stay with the Everlast brand for my tig.
I have a Dynasty. I wonder what problems I should be on the lookout for.

Weldo

A few years ago I found an older Thermal Arc 300 GTSW machine on eBay local enough to pick up. It’s been a great welder. Sometimes the older machines can be had for a nice deal.

NCjeeper

I have a Dynasty. I wonder what problems I should be on the lookout for.
The circuit boards. Zac over at the you tube channel Darlington Farms has literally every board replaced in his trying to get it to work right. He talks about the problems and Millers lack luster warranty repairs.

Last edited:

erikmannie

The circuit boards. Zac over at the you tube channel Darlington Farms has literally ever board replaced in his trying to get it to work right. He talks about the problems and Millers lack luster warranty repairs.
Ah, yes. I have heard of this problem. I tend to be a little paranoid with regard to the worst case scenario, and I often choose a brand based on serviceability. I have heard that technicians prefer to work on very common brands.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
My parallels, clamp kit and a couple of 3/8" 4-flute endmills came in to KMS today.
While I was there I picked up some layout dye, TapMagic and1/8" and 1/16" parting blades.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
View attachment 317390
Depth mic showed up today. $33 to the door and everything there but instructions. I checked prices online and $200 for new and $100-$150 used so I'm happy. Only mark on it is the JC in the circle. I assume initials of prior owner.
That’s a steal, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got 100 lbs of grass seed from TSC so I can spend my time and $$$ cutting more grass this summer . I shoulda bought some asphalt or concrete . :big grin: TSC was pretty empty as were the roads . All schools , restuerants , gyms , bars etc are basically shut down other than carry out. My wife and 2 children are working from home during the day , I'll find out if my sleep gets compromised tomorrow .

Aukai

Your going to hear the grass growing already???? :)

mmcmdl

Staff member
I saw 80 degrees one day this week , so I figure it's time . They ARE calling for snow on Sunday , so I should get it down Sat if possible .

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
Now I can get rid of the fog of war with my extractor, I thought I'd give mist coolant a go. I have these coming from various virus hotspots from around the world.

Cheapo eBay chinese mist sprayer. Coming from "Manchester" in Guangdong
s-l500-2.jpg s-l500.jpg
Some 8mm air hose (actually from the UK!)
s-l1600-4.jpg
Appropriate tail for my air outlets, from "London", Jiangsu
s-l1600-6.jpg
And some pipe clips, which is properly advertised as Shenzen...
s-l1600-5.jpg

The whole lot shipped (with free germs!) was just over £20. So I'm not expecting the best quality but it's enough to mess about with for a start.

Everything will be unpacked using full NBC gear and decontaminated prior to use. ;)

mickri

Not much. Just a few odds and ends from Shars and Tru Grit Abrasives. Got an edge finder, center finder and a wiggler set. Have never used either and didn't know which I would like best so I bought both. Needed a drill chuck for one of my drill presses and to use on the lathe. Got the MT2 punch to make it easy to remove the chuck from the drill press. And lastly but not the least some ceramic 60 grit belts for the belt sander.

IMG_3852.JPG

Aukai

If you don't see well, add some Quasar light. I put down an old black rag to deaden the glare.

Weldo

A big old chunk of solid forged aluminum. $10 :D
Did you just pick that up to use for raw material? Sometimes it's fun to get creative in the search for materials. In the past I've found myself wandering up and down the aisles at Lowes looking for just the right product I could scavenge or modify for the widget I was working on. Like buying a cheap concrete trowel for a small piece of thin spring steel or whatever.

DavidR8

Soaking up knowledge!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Did you just pick that up to use for raw material? Sometimes it's fun to get creative in the search for materials. In the past I've found myself wandering up and down the aisles at Lowes looking for just the right product I could scavenge or modify for the widget I was working on. Like buying a cheap concrete trowel for a small piece of thin spring steel or whatever.
Yup exactly that. I saw it and thought “That’s a lot of aluminum!”
The square part is 2” x 8” with a 6” which is probably 1” thick and then the flat bit.

I also saw some tie rods but they had already been sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Bought this Ingersoll Rand compressor to run my Hypertherm plasma cutter. It has enough CFM to run all my tools.
I got it placed in its final resting spot. It’s not as noisy as my old Craftsman 5 hp.
It’s a 3hp, 59E2B092-BDA5-4622-9198-F8BC3148C754.jpeg 7A40FD95-002C-4322-B6ED-7AE4EBDD56CD.jpeg 220 - 60 gallon tank, 11.3 CFM at 90 psi. Single stage.
It’s all I need. Paid $698. Got a sweet deal!

Lonnie

Registered
Registered
Today was replenish the stock day. My uncle goes to auction sales and buys metal. Lots has come from bankrupt machine shops. I then buy all mine from him. This is a retirement business for him that he started roughly 15 years ago to keep himself busy.
Today I came home with well over 600 pounds of various metals and have roughly another 1,000 - 1,500 pounds or so of various cut-offs put aside to pick up once the snow is gone. I pay for the brass, bronze, aluminum and stainless but it's at scrap prices. All the steel I get for free.
Here is what followed me home today;

Over 200 pounds of aluminum, 150+ pounds of SS, 200+ pounds of brass/bronze and I'd guess 150 plus pound of various steel. Most of this metal is marked what it is but some is not.

There is just over 200 pounds of bronze and brass here. Not sure what to make with it yet but at least I have it. The 2 big rounds weigh 128 pounds alone.

Superburban

Today was replenish the stock day. My uncle goes to auction sales and buys metal. Lots has come from bankrupt machine shops. I then buy all mine from him. This is a retirement business for him that he started roughly 15 years ago to keep himself busy.
Today I came home with well over 600 pounds of various metals and have roughly another 1,000 - 1,500 pounds or so of various cut-offs put aside to pick up once the snow is gone. I pay for the brass, bronze, aluminum and stainless but it's at scrap prices. All the steel I get for free.
Here is what followed me home today;

Over 200 pounds of aluminum, 150+ pounds of SS, 200+ pounds of brass/bronze and I'd guess 150 plus pound of various steel. Most of this metal is marked what it is but some is not.

There is just over 200 pounds of bronze and brass here. Not sure what to make with it yet but at least I have it. The 2 big rounds weigh 128 pounds alone.
I wish I had an uncle like that. Good haul.

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Well not exactly today, but a couple of Saturdays ago I picked up what I consider a bargain. A Moore & Wright micrometer set It does 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. I only got to take some photos yesterday so here it is. Also got a Moore & Wright toolmakers square and a fishtail thread gauge for BSW 55 deg. And a small booklet with all the lookup tables for british threads Total cost A$65.00. Needs a little cleanup but in fair condition. The threads feel a little gummed up but quite smooth. After giving a good clean and lube I'll check it for accuracy.

Attachments

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
First time tapping pipe threads.
There is a technique that is different from regular straight tapping.
Don‘t go in too far. I’ll have to make this block again. 6666A82D-0502-429D-9F0B-7E6161A69829.jpeg

Stonebriar

Rick
H-M Platinum Supporter
Please explain the consequences. I am fixing to do the same. Will it not be tight enough if you do? I have some 3/4" fitting blocks to make for my air system.

Last edited:

Weldo

Pipe threads or NPT threads are tapered. Thus if you tap too deep, the inner diameter can grow so much that the male thread will no longer seal properly.

As far as I know the best way is to keep tapping and testing the fit of your male thread. This will ensure you don't tap too deep.

Aukai

Also on NPT especially in the case of cast iron/aluminum cases use Teflon tape, do not try to get the seal with "tighter is better" it will crack the case. Just in case someone didn't know.....:)

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock