What Did You Buy Today?

I like that tape dispenser, although I would use it for my 2" filament tape and that's because I have no idea how good polypropylene masking tape is. :tranquility: :)

Me neither, haha. It's supposed to give you really clean lines for painting but I've never used it for painting. The name is actually Fine Line, 3M 218. I've had a 3/4" roll of it in my tool box for yrs. Never occured to me what is was or where I got it from. I use it mainly for protecting the finish of parts when I need. I think it might work for masking when anodizing but haven't tried yet. I wanted a couple of wider sizes then looked it up. That stuff is expensive & I would never pay full price. Luckily I found some 3/4" & 1" rolls on ebay a few months ago. The 2" rolls I just got last week. Those cost $50 a roll & I found 5 rolls for $33 shipped on ebay.

The tape dispenser is nice & cheaper than others on Amazon. Made in Taiwan. Again, we used the same exact brand at my old work but in 2" wide. I used them at work for kapton tape & 3M adhesive transfer tape. The blade is really sharp. The yellow thing flips down which is a cover to protect the blade (or rather you from the blade). I got the 3" wide one with suction cup base & I'm thinking of picking up another one in 2" wide.

Yeah I know, just a tape dispenser that I blabbed too much about but I really like these. :big grin:

20200310_173655.jpg

DON'T GO INTO THE CHARITY THRIFT STORE!
Walked in the front door and there on a lunch room sized table was grandpa's shop tools.
Looked like someone cleaned out his shop and took it to the store.
Found a live center. Talking with the young guy at the cashier's he mentioned that there was a lot of stuff like that earlier today, someone bought it all.
*UGH!* missed it by ->||<- that much.

And this was your grandpa ? Why didn't it go thru you first ? :confused:

OT here , but I just realized where you're located . We were in your neighborhood ( Knoxville , Maryville , Coal Creek , Oak ? ) years ago for a huge baseball tournament . Battle of the South . We drove home and had to drive back down to Nashville for a World Series tournament the following week . Love Tenn especially Knoxville . One of my friends is the Bluegrass HOF CEO in Nashville also . :)

Saw this on eBay today! I’ve never seen a fly cutter like this before. It looks to me like the insert is backwards, but round inserts would give a pretty good surface finish wouldn’t they?

View attachment 316327

I ended up buyin this thing! Offered the seller $18 and they accepted. I don’t even have a mill! For some reason I couldn’t pass this thing up.

I bought a new Ingersol Rand compressor. "Proudly assembled in the good old USA". Electric motor - made in Mexico, the pump is made in India.
Oh well, it will do the job. I hope.
In the operating instructions, it says to verify/match the voltage from the "starter/contactor". I wasn't planning on adding a starter.
I just found in the manual, "if the motor installed on your compressor has a motor reset button, it does not require a magnetic starter."
Do I need to?IMG_4428.jpgIMG_4429.jpgIMG_4430.jpg

Last edited:
So "assembled in USA" means you can put a flag sticker on it with USA in bold letters. The motor is made by US Motors, which is made in Mexico. The Punjab Express compressor head comes from the green sand foundries of India, where old enough for school means old enough to work. Then they slap a brand logo on it that I used to trust. All that makes my head hurt. I need a new compressor, maybe I'd better budget $4000 for something equitable to yours (that surely will work just fine) made in the lower 48, 'cause that's how it seems to be these days.

I got a deal, $698 plus tax. They are all over the place. $699 to $1,070 for the same model #. Some places offer free shipping, others charge extra.

Back