What Did You Buy Today?

Who was the eBay seller for this goodie box?
The seller is Oakland Steel, goes by steeldawg9061. He has really good pricing on material and shipping. They combine ship orders also. All that was in a flat rate envelope for $7.00

While this hasn't arrived yet, I wanted to share a woodworking machine part with you. The primary reason I purchased it is that it's U.S. made. I have had AMT machines in the far distant (ca1971) past. Although they are a fuzz small, they are fully functional. And since I like old iron, manual machines, this is a good fit. It will get used, although I bought it because it was U S made. I know it's woodworking, but it's an "old iron" American machine.
MortisingRig.jpg

I bought a millimess aswell but yours looks a lot bigger? I think it has twice the range of mine too. Looks good they are great for surface plate work.

I’ll report back when it arrives... they’re pics clipped from the eBay listing. Another couple of purchases that bordem during lockdown accidentally made me buy:
387F3073-04D5-4AD9-97BF-A50D5A9A5878.jpeg075CE752-D646-4E58-82DC-DE43764C4394.jpeg
mitutoyo digital depth gauge with one rod. Hoping my other rods from my other mitutoyo depth gauge will work with it,

New face shield. Purchased for use in the shop, but may come in handy for trips to the supermarket. I ’aint ‘fraid o no virus. ;)
FAB11F82-54C8-4C50-B6A4-A9D2BCAF11C4.jpeg

Few shop additions. First is a Fowler brake caliper micrometer. Couldn't resist for $17 including shipping off eBay.

20200315_152301.jpg
20200315_152315.jpg

I have an upcoming project that involves cutting a helical gear. The two mating gears will meet at a 90, so need to cut the gear with the cutter at a 45 to the blank. My plan is to cut it on my Tormach 1100 using the 4th axis tipped at a 45. The CNC will move the X, Z and A (rotation) axis in synch. At least that's the plan. First step was picking up a Grizzly 7" x 10" tilting table. I'll make a base plate for the 4th axis, tip the plate to a 45 and tram it on the mill. Still waiting on the 0.7 mm Module gear cutter from an eBay seller in China. Hopefully they haven't developed a cough.

20200326_162943.jpg

Last was a set of thread triangles from HHIP. Somewhere around $45 including shipping. I have a set of thread wires and multiple sets of Shars screw pitch micrometers. The mics are my go to, but wanted to try the option of triangles on a digital set of mics.

20200326_162721.jpg

OK, in summary, not a fan of triangles. Probably my lack of dexterity and experience. I found them VERY awkward to position on the thread and rotate the micrometer. I'll fiddle a bit with the hole size on the rubber piece on the spindle which may help. Problem is the triangle wants to rotate (naturally) as the mic is adjusted. Might help to jam the ends into a Styrofoam peanut for stability like I do with thread wires.

Accuracy was also a problem. Probably operator error on my part as the triangles came with no instructions. The triangles have three different flats on the corners. Presumably for different coarseness of threads as the triangle faces should rest on the thread face, not the root of the thread.

I slipped the triangles onto the mic and ran the flats into each other, then zero'd the mic. Started with the sharpest edge.

20200326_165016.jpg

Used a stock 5/16"-18 cap screw and measured the pitch at 0.24705". The included pitch chart shows a 5/16"-18 thread at a range of 0.2752" - 0.2691" depending on the class of thread. I checked the measurement twice, mic is working fine.

20200326_165242.jpg

I moved to the middle of the road triangles, re-zero'd and remeasured. Got 0.25055" this time.

20200326_165355.jpg

Lastly, went with the coarsest flat and got 0.26095".

20200326_170001.jpg

I measured the same bolt with a Shars 0-1" mic and got 0.272" which is dead in the middle of the screw pitch range for a 5/16"-18 bolt.

20200326_165555.jpg

I'll do a little Google research on triangles as I can see their value. The measurement error is in my initial zero'ing of the triangles. I was zero'ing off the flats which will naturally give a different result for each coarseness as the flats of the triangle are the surface doing the measuring, not the flat on the edge. I guess for now I could zero the mic on a known thread and use the delta to zero to measure where I'm at. The screw pitch mic's are still #1 in my book. More to follow as I learn how to use the triangles.

Bruce

Question. I need to double flare a stainless steel 3/8 tube (0.030 wall thickness). I have tried two flaring tools, the cheap one you can find on Amazon (two bars wing nutted together), and the pliers form. Neither works. What would you folks recommend for double flaring stainless?

joe

(snip) OK, in summary, not a fan of triangles. (snip) More to follow as I learn how to use the triangles.
Bruce

As you've discovered, zeroing off the truncated edges is not correct. the planar surfaces of the triangles bear on the thread form. There is probably a "constant" value offset used, regardless of which face of the triangle the mike is bearing on. If your research doesn't yield that constant, you could figure it out yourself.
Reset your digital mic to normal zero (spindle on anvil) then measure the PD using the smallest truncated edge that clears the thread root. Record the measurement. Next, measure the same PD with your normal thread mic and subtract that measurement from the recorded (triangle) value. The difference should be the "constant". I would expect it to be a convenient number, like .200, .250 or .300 rather than .2793 or similar.

Edit: incorrect. See reply #3333 below.

Last edited:
Question. I need to double flare a stainless steel 3/8 tube (0.030 wall thickness). I have tried two flaring tools, the cheap one you can find on Amazon (two bars wing nutted together), and the pliers form. Neither works. What would you folks recommend for double flaring stainless?

joe

I'm assuming that the tube in question is seamless. If not, I suggest you get some seamless tube.
I wouldn't be afraid to heat the tube end to make it more malleable.
I found this video also. The author makes a point of saying "don't use cheap tools".

Back