What Did You Buy Today?

Can't you beat on it coming out of the pipe, be cheaper :grin:
The problem is ” A happy life is a happy wife”. Our water here sucks. When it comes to things like this I tend to buy the best I can and hope for the best out of it.

The problem is ” A happy life is a happy wife”. Our water here sucks. When it comes to things like this I tend to buy the best I can and hope for the best out of it.
I hear you @Z2V
I once lived in a house with well that produced water with so much H2S gas it could be lit coming out of the tap. Turned all the bathroom fixtures black. Sand bed water softener and reverse osmosis system and $4K later all was good.

~~~~~my first fail from Japan. Was only $10 so I wasn't expecting much but I didn't expect the damn thing to be made of aluminum! Haha! Oh well, I'll toss it in the bottom drawer of the tool box, maybe one day I will get to break it.
View attachment 319098
Actually that is not an "April Fools Joke". It is a plumbers "basin wrench" I think it's called. I have a couple of them made out of some sort of plastic. It is meant for plastic drain lines with the shiney coupling nuts (nickle??) Very low torque and (my plastic ones) soft so they don't leave marks or scratches on the metal.

Actually that is not an "April Fools Joke". It is a plumbers "basin wrench" I think it's called. I have a couple of them made out of some sort of plastic. It is meant for plastic drain lines with the shiney coupling nuts (nickle??) Very low torque and (my plastic ones) soft so they don't leave marks or scratches on the metal.

That makes more sense. Guess I'll keep it under the kitchen sink then. The garbage disposal is acting up again.

Not at all hobby related except it took $4K out of my pocket. My 25 yr old water softener took a dump so I purchased a new system. I hope it last 25 yrs also. No new tools for a few months.
I don’t know a darn thing about water softeners. When we moved into our home here in Chico, Ca. It had a salt system water softener.
The thing wasn’t working right as the tap water tasted like the Pacific Ocean.
The customer service was so bad with our local Culligan, I decided to find a different mouse trap.
I chose the Pelican brand whole house filter and water softener system. No salt and no waste water.
It works great! (The only pic I have) the plumber was awesome.9B269EC3-53FF-4E06-BBBE-8DC37F1A01F9.jpeg

That’s an interesting system you have there Jeff. I like the shiny stainless tanks too. How often do you have to replace the cartridge filter and the media in the two tanks since they don’t get backwashed? I didn’t come across Pelican when I was searching for a new setup. I settled on Kenetico instead of another Culligan.

I was looking for a better quality boring head and saw this new 3" boring head on eBay so I decided to take a chance on it. I made an offer on it that was, IMO, quite low and the seller accepted. I haven't used/tested it yet but it appears to be of very good quality. It came with a BT40 shank and I just replaced it with an R8.

c3Ia3GN.jpg

Installed this system two years ago to replace my old one, which was about the same age as Z2V's. Added two pre-filters with the new softner, about $750 all in, not counting my labor. Using about half the salt I had been. True that, about the happy wife. MikeIMG_20200402_143528938.jpg

Reactions: Z2V
Back