What Did You Buy Today?

My new system will also have a pre-filter, two resin tanks and two Chloraban tanks. They claim a regen will use a pound of salt and thirteen gallons of water. I hope that’s accurate.
D36390AB-6340-4102-81CB-7946CF1BC6D9.png

That’s an interesting system you have there Jeff. I like the shiny stainless tanks too. How often do you have to replace the cartridge filter and the media in the two tanks since they don’t get backwashed? I didn’t come across Pelican when I was searching for a new setup. I settled on Kenetico instead of another Culligan.
The blue pre-filter housing has a drop in cartridge that gets replaced every 4 months, the system came with 6 of these with o-rings. There is a charcoal charge that is also a drop in that is replaced every 5 years. That's it = no salt and no drain water.

Reactions: Z2V
I was looking for a better quality boring head and saw this new 3" boring head on eBay so I decided to take a chance on it. I made an offer on it that was, IMO, quite low and the seller accepted. I haven't used/tested it yet but it appears to be of very good quality. It came with a BT40 shank and I just replaced it with an R8.

c3Ia3GN.jpg
Lonnie,
You will need to grind the proper relief angles before you can use these but if properly ground, they work great IMHO.

The blue pre-filter housing has a drop in cartridge that gets replaced every 4 months, the system came with 6 of these with o-rings. There is a charcoal charge that is also a drop in that is replaced every 5 years. That's it = no salt and no drain water.

Wow, doesn’t get much simpler than that.

That’s an interesting system you have there Jeff. I like the shiny stainless tanks too. How often do you have to replace the cartridge filter and the media in the two tanks since they don’t get backwashed? I didn’t come across Pelican when I was searching for a new setup. I settled on Kenetico instead of another Culligan.
We have an Ecowater (salt ion exchange) we had installed shortly after moving into our house. I was convinced my wife had been conned for $4k as water softener salesmen have a smarmy reputation, but she made it clear that having 1/2" of white stuff at the bottom of a drink after ice melted wasn't acceptable. At that time our hardness was 37 gpg.

We had a relatively new (5 years old) water heater die a few weeks ago and there was a lot of residue. Had Ecowater come back out and check--our incoming hardness increased to 70 gpg. They adjusted the softener and it continues to chug along.

Short story long I've been happy with the Ecowater unit. I also looked at Kinetico which seems to have a good reputation. I was intrigued with the filter systems like Jeff's, but was concerned it wouldn't handle our hard (and now harder) water.

Reactions: Z2V
Lonnie,
You will need to grind the proper relief angles before you can use these but if properly ground, they work great IMHO.
Thanks.
I usually just use insert boring bars but will try these bars that came with it. Would you happen to have a link or instructions on how to get a proper grind on them?

Thanks.
I usually just use insert boring bars but will try these bars that came with it. Would you happen to have a link or instructions on how to get a proper grind on them?
Hmm,
There was a discussion on this a while back.
There are more qualified machinists that should answer your question.
I think the most obvious issue is they braze these big hunks of carbide on without allowing for the position of the center line.
I don’t know the terminology but try to imagine the center of the boring bar, the cutting edge should be on that same plane, It is way too positive and at incorrect cutting angles.
A little help here.
Ill repost the pictures showing the difference between Criterion and the type you and so many of us have purchased.

Attachments

• F4147D5F-6C3E-4235-8729-67E103C00557.jpeg
    F4147D5F-6C3E-4235-8729-67E103C00557.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 2580ED70-2640-4036-91FA-6D1614873E17.jpeg
    2580ED70-2640-4036-91FA-6D1614873E17.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hmm,
There was a discussion on this a while back.
There are more qualified machinists that should answer your question.
I think the most obvious issue is they braze these big hunks of carbide on without allowing for the position of the center line.
I don’t know the terminology but try to imagine the center of the boring bar, the cutting edge should be on that same plane, It is way too positive and at incorrect cutting angles.
A little help here.
Ill repost the pictures showing the difference between Criterion and the type you and so many of us have purchased.
I found this on youtube;
How to grind a quality brazed carbide boring bar set to give usable tool angle clearances.

I did not get anything. Some parts were supposed to be here today, but the USPS in their usual incompetence, sent it back east from Denver. I guess it was an April Fools joke for them yesterday. I get so tired of this.

usps1.JPG

Back