What Did You Buy Today?

A couple of parallel clamps from eBay arrived today.

I have a pair of those, Empire brand.
I can’t ever get them to clamp effectively. What’s the secret?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have bought a band saw blade from Action Industrial Supply or maybe not. I ordered it online and have not heard a word from them. It may just show up or I may never get it. Maybe they are closed down for the virus.

So, just one question for coldsaw fans, what's the difference between one built for steel vs. non-ferrous? This saw was obviously used for aluminum or some other non-ferrous metal, will I run into problems if I try cutting mild steel?

John

I have a Makita coldsaw with a carbide tipped blade. The important thing when cutting steel with them is blade speed.
Mine runs at 1300 no load rpm, which is really the important difference between a cold saw and a chop saw. Aluminum can be cut at higher speeds. I find that it's useful for cutting tubing or thin stuff: forget it for thicker stock. That's what bandsaws are for. When cutting, you can't force the blade through; you have to find the feed rate that the blade is happiest at or you'll be sharpening blades a lot.

Last edited:
I have a Makita coldsaw with a carbide tipped blade. The important thing when cutting steel with them is blade speed.
Mine runs at 1300 no load rpm, which is really the important difference between a cold saw and a chop saw. Aluminum can be cut at higher speeds. I find that it's useful for cutting tubing or thin stuff: forget it for thicker stock. That's what bandsaws are for. When cutting, you can't force the blade through; you have to find the feed rate that the blade is happiest at or you'll be shapening blades a lot.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the speed and give it a try with your tips:encourage:

John

Yes, the correct blade is important, especially with steel. I've found with aluminum there's more leeway.

I bought 2 Miller welding helmets, a Classic & an Infinity. I got a light kit, cheater lenses and new filters for the respirator on my Speedglas AdFlo helmet.

I also bought three pairs of Miller MIG/stick gloves.

I also bought two 6” lengths of 2 1/4” mild steel solid round bar. I made a pencil holder my my sister-in-law.

C1D6EAD8-D1F6-4B76-80BA-36CA6D10A813.png7C110021-1D06-4AF1-8857-92AEA72BAFED.png

Last edited:
Back