What Did You Buy Today?

Cabin fever got the better of me today. I put on my space suit and ventured out to pick this little guy up. I love the oil can holder in the base with the vintage oil can, my will power was holding firm until I saw that, then it was all over. :grin:

Excel hacksaw.jpg

It is an Excel 12" power hacksaw. The Covel Manufacturing Company (Atlas after 1968) also made these for Sears who sold them under the Craftsman brand until at least the 1970s.

I think this particular saw is pre-1950 because the tag says Excel Hack Saw by Covel Mfg Co. Looking at old advertisements it appears that Covel Mfg Co was dropped from the ads in 1950 instead listing them under the Excel Tool Company. I haven't been able to find much on the Excel branded saws to confirm my hypothesis, as the Craftsman ones seem to be much more common.

Cabin fever got the better of me today. I put on my space suit and ventured out to pick this little guy up. I love the oil can holder in the base with the vintage oil can, my will power was holding firm until I saw that, then it was all over. :grin:

View attachment 322317

It is an Excel 12" power hacksaw. The Covel Manufacturing Company (Atlas after 1968) also made these for Sears who sold them under the Craftsman brand until at least the 1970s.

I think this particular saw is pre-1950 because the tag says Excel Hack Saw by Covel Mfg Co. Looking at old advertisements it appears that Covel Mfg Co was dropped from the ads in 1950 instead listing them under the Excel Tool Company. I haven't been able to find much on the Excel branded saws to confirm my hypothesis, as the Craftsman ones seem to be much more common.

What sheer coincidence.. I literally just saw this tool (Not sure if the brand is the same, but the form and even the color are exactly the same) on craigslist or marketplace just yesterday!

That saw is super cool! Got any more pictures? The old power hack saws have a definite “shaper” vibe in that they are fun to watch while working!

What sheer coincidence.. I literally just saw this tool (Not sure if the brand is the same, but the form and even the color are exactly the same) on craigslist or marketplace just yesterday!

Opposite side of the country so unlikely we were looking at the same saw. The Craftsman saws seem to be fairly common they must have sold them 30+ years. The color is the more unusual part because I'm pretty sure this isn't the factory color, and the Craftsman saws were grey. Other than Miller welders I don't see many industrial tools that are light blue.

That saw is super cool! Got any more pictures? The old power hack saws have a definite “shaper” vibe in that they are fun to watch while working!

Agree, there is something mesmerizing about watching the ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk of shapers, power hacksaws, steam engines etc.

Sorry no more photos handy. I tried to attach a short video of it running but it didn't work.

Ordered a maple table top and a pair of adjustable legs for the top from Grizzly. Freight is being discounted until April 30th. Saved $75.

Need a sturdy work surface in my shop. I didn't even have a surface to mount my 6" vise, this table will fix that problem! Only 60" x 30" x 1.75", for 2 big reasons. 1) It has to fit in the space, and 2) About 100 lbs is my limit for manhandling the table top down a rickety set of stairs. Bigger, although better, doesn't satisfy 1 & 2.

Had five tool holders and some inserts arrive today.
Glad for the tool holders. Changing tools was getting old fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought these today. Got two this morning, was impressed enough I went back and bought 3 more for a total of 5.

Very sturdy, go together easily. I definitely recommend them.

The second shelf by the stairs I loaded with Nova parts. A-arms, front brakes, really heavy stuff and the shelves really can take it.

shelf.jpg
shelf2.jpg

Bought these today. Got two this morning, was impressed enough I went back and bought 3 more for a total of 5.

Very sturdy, go together easily. I definitely recommend them.

The second shelf by the stairs I loaded with Nova parts. A-arms, front brakes, really heavy stuff and the shelves really can take it.

View attachment 322494
View attachment 322495

Nothing like good heavy duty shelves to get the workshop organized. The wire will let all that good oil and grease drip down rather than wood absorbing it or steel getting slippery.

john

Back