What Did You Buy Today?

I had another great find at our local Habitat for Humanity "Restore" (their outlet for donated items) yesterday: a 3" jaw Wilton bullet vise in good shape (except for about 1/8th of an inch of paint slopped all over it and some surface rust) for $25. The jaws look perfect and the handle is even straight! I never know what I'm going to find when I walk in there. I don't really need another vise but I couldn't pass it up and I'm sure I'll find a place for it. Edit: I just noticed the date stamp on my wife's camera is off by almost three months. I guess I need to fix that if I want to keep track of when I take photos!Wilton vise 003.JPG

Last edited:
Enjoy the restore center while it is decent. When we lived in Pa, the one in the city where we lived started out great, then decided their stuff had hidden gold in it. we would stop at the restore center about 30 miles away, when we were over there. Then ten years ago when we moved were to Co, the one here was good. But about 4 years ago, they did the same in raising.their prices. Have not stoped there in a good 2 years or so. But there is still a decent one near my sisters place, about 80 miles away.

Filling in with better quality bits, Norseman, and the CL 61-80s are tiny little fellas.

TvLTOyKl.jpg

Last edited:
Friend of my called me, "i've heard you've bought a lada", i answered yes expecting a lada joke he said i'm in russia do you need any spares that can fit in a carry on bag, i told him exterior lighting, he is leaving in a day, so i told him what he can find in the first parts store from the list to buy it and bring it.

Visited the local flea market today was a beautiful day. Gotta love the 2 dollar table!!! Got a 1-2 and a 2-3 Mitutoyo tenths mics. Alittle dirty but cleaned up good, some staining on the shafts but run silky smooth after clean up and oil. Carbide faces and they look new not a scratch. Got the 1” standard for .50 cents. Gotta love when they don’t know what they have.
D7B90EAF-35C6-4B21-8557-D2FE5627FE4C.jpeg7BA6952F-F865-4A06-A7F1-6EBCD1FA4E87.jpeg

Picked up a few more things for the shop. First was a Harbor Freight Fortress 4-gallon 200 psi air compressor. I've heard good things about them being relatively quiet and move quite a bit of air. It pumped up from 0 to 200 psi in about 65 seconds, albeit into a 4 gallon tank. Supposed to put out 4.0 cfm at 90 psi. It is quite a bit quieter than my other compressor, but there's still no doubt when it's running. My main compressor is a 20-gallon tank Campbell Hausfield 4-HP that maintains a touch under 10 cfm at 90 psi, but I can hear it from our house (which is 50 yds. from the shop). Plan for this one is to run the mist coolant on my CNC Bridgeport and a future CNC mill.

Other pick up was a pair of 6" electronic calipers from Clockwise Tools. They advertise in Home Shop Machinist magazine; these are coolant proof and cost $21.50 delivered. I like the large display for my old eyes.

Bruce

20190505_191722.jpg

20190505_192235.jpg

20190506_155911.jpg

20190506_160203.jpg

Do your Clockwise calipers hold zero when turned off?

Do your Clockwise calipers hold zero when turned off?
Hi John,

They do not. Closed the jaws, zero'd, shut them off. Then moved the jaws and turned them back on and they read zero.

I mostly use regular dial calipers and never worry about the batteries going dead. I had HF 4" and 6" digital calipers that ended up in the trash. They'd skip 5.06 mm increments at random times when moving the jaws. Always had to look at the vernier to double check measurements. Figure the wheel inside has a circumference of 5.06 mm (that's really small).

Hoping the Clockwise ones (they're made in China) prove to work a little better. If not, I'll go the Mitutoyo Absolute route and stop fiddling with cheap tools.

Bruce

Picked up this Llambrich Hexa chuck, after someone here (Cadillac maybe?) posted a great price on it on Amazon. Got it for $262.73. It's now listed for $485. Installed it on the Bridgeport and TIR is under .001. Mike

IMG_20190507_174254806.jpg

Back