• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

What Did You Buy Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have two lathes; a G0709 14" x 40" and a Clausing 5418 12" x 24". Each has a HF tool cart for accessories. The G0709 is my go to and is well stocked with everything. So, been impulse buying for the Clausing so I don't have to steal stuff out of the G0709 box. Picked up a set of digital inside mics from 0.2" - 1.2" and 1" to 2" for the Clausing (already have a set on the Grizzly). Just my personal preference, I really like the mechanical digital type mics. Also bought a set of 0-1" and 1"-2" screw pitch mics for the Clausing. The Grizzly has the same sets and a 2-3" set too.

20180310_082804.jpg
20180310_082900.jpg

Also picked up a few things for my Bridgeport. I have a set of angle gauge blocks that goes from 1 deg. to 30 deg., but didn't have a 1/2 deg. block. Yeah, pretty poor excuse for picking up a set of 1/2 deg. to 5 deg. ones but they were only $10 delivered.

Also picked up an Interapid 312 vertical style DTI. Really smooth movement on this one. The crystal was really scratched up but used my dad's old trick of polishing the lens with toothpaste. Came out pretty clear, not back to factory shipped but very readable. Plus it's an Interapid so 'nuff said.

Lastly, an electronic edge finder. Many sellers of these on eBay for around $15. Yeah, I know, static readings only so no compensation for spindle/collet run out, but my BP spindle is spot on. R8 collets and ER collet chuck is around 0.001" so good enough for anything I do. Have a 20 mm R8 collet on the way from overseas also, edgefinder has a 20 mm shank and a 10 mm ball. My Anilam CNC controller has an inch/metric switch so easy/peasie finding the edge in metric and switching back to inch.

Bruce

20180310_082357.jpg
20180310_082446.jpg
20180310_082459.jpg
20180310_082529.jpg
20180310_082613.jpg

Robert LaLonde

Banned - Abusive Behavior Towards Staff & Members
Former Member
Well the little 4x6 has had multiple failures in the last few months. I burned up a motor, chowdered a worm gear, and now the special little Harbor Freight power switch has failed. Each failure seemed to come at a time when it did the most damage to my productivity. I can't complain though. I've had the saw for years and I've been using it every single day for the last couple. I'd say I've gotten atleast five years of light commercial use out of it. That's far more than I ever expected to get out of it.

I had a deal offered on a nice 7x12 from Precision Mathews, but by the time I got around to buying it they had sold that one and are out of stock for another 6-8 weeks. I looked at Grizzly and it looks nice. Similar price to Precision Mathews, but I've heard a few claims that Grizzly QC may be slipping the last year or two. I thought about Harbor Freight again. I know they stock the little 4x6 locally, but I have not seen a larger saw on the floor in years. Still I thought if I can get five years daily use out of a bigger one it would do. I checked the price on-line and chased down a current coupon code for 20% off. I was just about to order one on-line and I decided to call the store to see if they had one. They had two. That would cost me an extra $20 in city sales tax on top of the state sales tax, but save me $90 freight and I'd have it today. (yesterday)

At the store it was a bit of a chore to get the saw out of a conex box, but the box/crate came out intact.

When I uncrated the saw back at the shop I was very pleasantly surprised. Its quite a lot better built than the smaller saw, has a coolant tank with pump if I want to run it, and of course has the pneumatic feed control for cutting thin wall tube. I have to say its the best built Harbor Freight tool I have seen in a long time. The first thing I did after getting it setup was throw a piece of 2" EMT in the saw, set the pneumatic feed, and watch it slice off the end. Oh, was that nice. I hardly even heard a change in pitch as it transitioned from the wide entry cut to cutting the thin sidewalls.

As much work and headache as the smaller saw has saved me this one will save me even more.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-7-inch-x-12-inch-hydraulic-feed-metal-cutting-bandsaw-97009.html

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Nice saw Bob, I got a 4x6 saw yesterday off CL

BGHansen

Well the little 4x6 has had multiple failures in the last few months. I burned up a motor, chowdered a worm gear, and now the special little Harbor Freight power switch has failed. Each failure seemed to come at a time when it did the most damage to my productivity. I can't complain though. I've had the saw for years and I've been using it every single day for the last couple. I'd say I've gotten atleast five years of light commercial use out of it. That's far more than I ever expected to get out of it.

I had a deal offered on a nice 7x12 from Precision Mathews, but by the time I got around to buying it they had sold that one and are out of stock for another 6-8 weeks. I looked at Grizzly and it looks nice. Similar price to Precision Mathews, but I've heard a few claims that Grizzly QC may be slipping the last year or two. I thought about Harbor Freight again. I know they stock the little 4x6 locally, but I have not seen a larger saw on the floor in years. Still I thought if I can get five years daily use out of a bigger one it would do. I checked the price on-line and chased down a current coupon code for 20% off. I was just about to order one on-line and I decided to call the store to see if they had one. They had two. That would cost me an extra $20 in city sales tax on top of the state sales tax, but save me $90 freight and I'd have it today. (yesterday)

At the store it was a bit of a chore to get the saw out of a conex box, but the box/crate came out intact.

When I uncrated the saw back at the shop I was very pleasantly surprised. Its quite a lot better built than the smaller saw, has a coolant tank with pump if I want to run it, and of course has the pneumatic feed control for cutting thin wall tube. I have to say its the best built Harbor Freight tool I have seen in a long time. The first thing I did after getting it setup was throw a piece of 2" EMT in the saw, set the pneumatic feed, and watch it slice off the end. Oh, was that nice. I hardly even heard a change in pitch as it transitioned from the wide entry cut to cutting the thin sidewalls.

As much work and headache as the smaller saw has saved me this one will save me even more.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-7-inch-x-12-inch-hydraulic-feed-metal-cutting-bandsaw-97009.html
Bob, you are going to love that saw. I bought one 18 months ago and agree that it's better than most HF tools. Here's a POTD link to a mod I made on my saw to help get the coolant back into the tank.

Bruce

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...in-your-shop-today.14637/page-272#post-422579

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
You'll like that saw Bob, I have one from Princess Auto, Canada's poor excuse for Harbour Freight. I've had it 8 or 10 years now, wouldn't want to guess the blades its worn out but its never missed a beat. The blade cooling makes a HUGE difference. I was steady wearing out blades on the 4x6, they last for ever on this one wet, even running one step up on the pulleys when cutting steel.

Greg

vocatexas

Registered
Registered
I went to an auction today. The flier said 'machinist box with tools'. That had my interest.

When I got there, I headed to the first toolbox I saw-a Kennedy roll-around with a Kennedy top chest separated by some type of home-made mid-box thing. This box was FULL of end mills, taps, dies, drill bit, reamers, and various measuring tools. Some of the end mills and taps are still covered with their wax protectorant...never used. There are also a few adjustable parallels, a couple of V-blocks, and a step block. Also a Starrett depth micrometer, Starrett planer and shaper gage, one complete and one partial set of Starrett telescoping gages, and at least two Brown and Sharp Best Tests. Some of these have never been used either.
To tell the truth, I haven't had time to inventory the box, but I paid $300 for the box and contents, so I'm pretty sure I came out in the good. I know there are more micrometers, hole gages, radius gages, etc. I'll have to post back later on the contents if anyone is interested.

Edit: Oh, I forgot...a Twentieth Edition of Machinery's Handbook was nesting in the toolchest's book drawer. It doesn't look used either.

Z2V

Congrats, sounds like you made out very well.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I went to an auction today. The flier said 'machinist box with tools'. That had my interest.

When I got there, I headed to the first toolbox I saw-a Kennedy roll-around with a Kennedy top chest separated by some type of home-made mid-box thing. This box was FULL of end mills, taps, dies, drill bit, reamers, and various measuring tools. Some of the end mills and taps are still covered with their wax protectorant...never used. There are also a few adjustable parallels, a couple of V-blocks, and a step block. Also a Starrett depth micrometer, Starrett planer and shaper gage, one complete and one partial set of Starrett telescoping gages, and at least two Brown and Sharp Best Tests. Some of these have never been used either.
To tell the truth, I haven't had time to inventory the box, but I paid $300 for the box and contents, so I'm pretty sure I came out in the good. I know there are more micrometers, hole gages, radius gages, etc. I'll have to post back later on the contents if anyone is interested.

Edit: Oh, I forgot...a Twentieth Edition of Machinery's Handbook was nesting in the toolchest's book drawer. It doesn't look used either.
I can take that kennedy top box and an endmill or two off your hands if its to much? Nice find though.

ACHiPo

Yeah :you suck:

:congrats:

Brain Coral

Active User
Registered
I drove down to Calaise Maine on Friday, between snowstorms, to pick up my latest Ebay purchase. The seller didn't ship to Canada, so I had it sent to my postal address in Calaise. This is a 15" Schultes Master Precision Level. The isolation material on the top, has a good chunk out of it, and that was shown in the sale pics, but that, in no way, affects the use of the level. The hand scraping looks excellent on the bottom. I don't think that it ever saw much use. On my way home, I stopped in to my buddies shop, calibrated it and we re-leveled his 13" South Bend with it. Some will say that these are too fussy to use, leveling a lathe, at .0005" per foot, but we had no problem at all. You do need a very light touch on the wrench.

IMG_1055 (1024x768).jpg IMG_1056 (1024x768).jpg IMG_1057 (1024x768).jpg IMG_1058 (1024x768).jpg IMG_1059 (1024x768).jpg

I know that there will be the inevitable question about what I paid for it. I paid $80.00 USD plus $18.00 shipping, then add in around $50.00 CAD in fuel. So right around $138.00 USD. I had never heard of the Schultes Level Co. before I bought this level. I am VERY pleased with my purchase. :)

Apparently, someone didn't read the label on the box... :eek 2:

Brian

vocatexas

Registered
Registered
BC, congrats, that level looks like a beauty. Love the flaking on the bottom.

Brento, let me get an inventory done and I'll get back to you on the end mill.

vocatexas

Registered
Registered
That is very generous of you but i was just joking with you. No need to.
Well, turns out that's a good thing. I unloaded the box a while ago and started going through it. All the end mills with the wax on them were in one compartment of a drawer. I guess somebody decided they needed them worse than I do. I guess between the time I bought it and the time I loaded it, somebody pocketed a half-dozen new end mills.

I'm not happy about that, but there's still enough there that I came out alright. I haven't had that happen at an auction in years. Lesson learned...

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thats sad atleast they didnt take the instruments though and you got a nice kennedy box out of it so.

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Well, turns out that's a good thing. I unloaded the box a while ago and started going through it. All the end mills with the wax on them were in one compartment of a drawer. I guess somebody decided they needed them worse than I do. I guess between the time I bought it and the time I loaded it, somebody pocketed a half-dozen new end mills.

I'm not happy about that, but there's still enough there that I came out alright. I haven't had that happen at an auction in years. Lesson learned...
There's a dirt bag around every corner.

ACHiPo

Ok, so I actually bought this the other day, but brought it home today.:D

Big shout out to Bob Korves, Ulma Doctor, and Rex Walters for their help relocating the mill. I sure am lucky to have such good people close enough to help me out!
IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1026.JPG IMG_1027.JPG IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

MonkMan

I finally got my new compressor installed. Now on to the MaxLine system install. View attachment 241438
IMG_2109.JPG IMG_2110.JPG IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2113.JPG
Just finished up the install last night. Very tough getting the lines to run straight even withe the roller tool. All & all It came out well and holds 90 psi I wanted.

MonkMan

IMG_2115.JPG
Hi hman, I started with the basic kit shown above and added a few extras. The dual port at the mill station, various valves and fittings and the gauge. I found I needed more mounting clips. It worked out well, used all but 10 feet.

mmcmdl

Staff member
I bought plane tickets . The wife and daughter are heading to Vegas tomorrow morning thru Friday to see a Reba McIntyre and Brooks and Dunn concert . The tickets were round trip , if otherwise , I would be buying more and MORE TOOLS ! :(;)

Uglydog

Active User
8foot vintage cast iron parallel.
No pics yet....
Supposedly flat and straight. Will see.
If not, I've got work to do.....
But, it's not work. It is more practice.

Daryl
MN

mmcmdl

Staff member
Dog ! An 8 ft parallel ? My god , I'de hate to see the vise that was used in ! o_O

hman

Active User
View attachment 262140
Hi hman, I started with the basic kit shown above and added a few extras. The dual port at the mill station, various valves and fittings and the gauge. I found I needed more mounting clips. It worked out well, used all but 10 feet.
Thanks!

roadie33

Active User
Registered
View attachment 262140
Paul,
Who did you buy everything from?

I have been looking at doing that in my basement shop.
Looks to be a whole lot easier and possibly cheaper than copper or pipe, plus all the fittings.

Buffalo21

In a moment of weakness, I lent my MGEHR 1212-2 parting tool, to a now ex-friend, who now believes it’s his. As with hindsight, I’d rather buy another parting tool, than persue his friendship, I ordered a new parting tool today. It’s a cheap, BangGood tool, with 10 inserts, that works remarkably well, so another parting tool, for about $17, with free shipping and guaranteed delivery by 3/24, how could I go wrong.

Last edited:

Buffalo21

I went out with a girl, when I lived in Milwaukee, that relationship ended on so-so terms, but remain a good friend of her brother. The brother, up until last year worked for an industrial supplier, in San Juan, PR, that sold cutting tools and other stuff to countries in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, but for some reason, not the US. He, from time to time, would send me samples, the last group of HSS end mills, he sent me, all had 3/8” shanks, like the ones shown by ACHiPo. They were samples from South Korea, no brand marking, meant to be private labeled by the seller,. He sent a dozen each from 1/8” to 1/2”, in 1/16” steps, in both 2 and 4 flute versions. These were a first for me, up until they arrived, all of my end mill, the shank and flutes, were the same size. They work great, 2 weeks after he sent them, he quit, go to work for M-B, in Argentina.

MonkMan

Paul,
Who did you buy everything from?

I have been looking at doing that in my basement shop.
Looks to be a whole lot easier and possibly cheaper than copper or pipe, plus all the fittings.
Mike,

I got the the 3/4" maxline basic system and the Prevost air couplers and plugs from Amazon. All the other miscellaneous fittings and valves from McMaster-Carr. For my size shop I could have gone with the their 1/2" system and saved a good bit of $$. (hindsight is always 20-20)

Paul

[6]
[5] [7]