What Did You Buy Today?

About the only thing that I like about my HF vise is the long slots on each side. Very easy to loosen two bolts to move the vise into position. Then tighten the bolts. I found an old stanley catalog online with this vise. The catalog mentions that the vise also came with a base so that it could swivel. I'll try to figure that out too.
I'll probably make up some z shaped clamps like Hman suggested to start with. All depends on what I have in the scarp bin.

Have no need for these, but they were cool. The grinding wheel has a setup for sharpening drill bits. That buyanymachinetoolitus, was flaring up bad.

0810191318-00.jpg 0810191319-00.jpg

Even 40 or 50 years ago, how could they make this, and ship it, wholesale it, and then finally sell it to a consumer for 89 cents? Made in Korea, looks better then the junk made in China today.

0810191842-00.jpg

"POWER FIST!"

Okay, I don't know how much of a Power Fist a 1-ton arbor press from Princess Auto can be but that's their house brand. And aside from the rather aggressive blue colour it's not too bad.

image.jpeg

The usual shenanigans with a less-than-beefy toggle screw to lock the handle, but that was easily remedied. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased. Reasonable fits on everything, and when I checked the ram against a machinist's square it was dead on the money in both directions.

image.jpeg

Not a Dake by any stretch, but it'll make a more sensitive compliment to the 10-ton hydraulic. But what really surprised me was was instead of the usual eighth-inch thick powder coat this was actually painted by hand, with a brush. That alone was worth the price of admission.

image.jpeg

-frank

Picked up a new drill sharpener today at the local Travers, on sale for $150 off. I have a Drill Doctor but I think I'll keep it around too, may not be worth selling. Also picked up a Bahco Easy-Cut "universal" bandsaw blade at the same time to try out & got a free t-shirt with my order. :big grin:

20190812_160125-800x450.jpg20190812_142228-800x450.jpg20190812_144951-800x450.jpg

Big brown truck delivered extra discs today for my belt sander. Now I have 3 discs to put different grits on them & swap out when needed.

20190812_150646-800x499.jpg

Interesting looking drill sharpener. What brand, model number?

The one I got is a rebrand by Travers' brand OTMT. It's originally made by MRCM China, model MR-13D, & can be purchased for around $350 shipped on ebay or Amazon (there are sellers with US stock). I paid $150 more for the OTMT on sale. $650 is Travers' normal price. I didn't want to buy from China & didn't want a yellow machine with Chinese writing on it. ;) Travers is right down the street from me & I was able to look at it before making my decision to buy but it didn't take me long to decide.

There's a MR-13A model which is a little cheaper. It doesn't have the split point grinding feature but still has the relief angle feature. Travers only sells the 13D & the bigger 26D. There are videos on YT showing how it works. MRCM makes all sorts of tool grinders but I've never seen any of their other ones in the US.

Surprisingly it's very well made. Uses ER-20 collets. Fired it up when I got home, the thing is so smooth & quiet unlike my Drill Doctor that is stupid loud & vibrates all over the place. The OTMT one has an imperial dial instead of metric, the collets are metric but no big deal to me. Came with CBN wheel for HSS. I'm going to buy the diamond wheel for my carbide drills (main reason I got this). Relief angle & split point grinding is adjustable.

I'll post up a review after I have used it a bit.

Thanks! Between my query and your reply, I'd run across your post on another thread, and found enough info to Google "Travers drill bit sharpener" ... but it came up with the DBG26D - 1" capacity and $1480! Thanks for the links to the less expensive (½" capacity) one.

Thanks! Between my query and your reply, I'd run across your post on another thread, and found enough info to Google "Travers drill bit sharpener" ... but it came up with the DBG26D - 1" capacity and $1480! Thanks for the links to the less expensive (½" capacity) one.

No problem. If you do decide to get the OTMT one from Travers, add a G to the end of the part number for the sale price. Sale is good till the end of the month.

20190812_225757-800x450.jpg

The one I got is a rebrand by Travers' brand OTMT. It's originally made by MRCM China, model MR-13D, & can be purchased for around $350 shipped on ebay or Amazon (there are sellers with US stock). I paid $150 more for the OTMT on sale. $650 is Travers' normal price. I didn't want to buy from China & didn't want a yellow machine with Chinese writing on it. ;) Travers is right down the street from me & I was able to look at it before making my decision to buy but it didn't take me long to decide.

There's a MR-13A model which is a little cheaper. It doesn't have the split point grinding feature but still has the relief angle feature. Travers only sells the 13D & the bigger 26D. There are videos on YT showing how it works. MRCM makes all sorts of tool grinders but I've never seen any of their other ones in the US.

Surprisingly it's very well made. Uses ER-20 collets. Fired it up when I got home, the thing is so smooth & quiet unlike my Drill Doctor that is stupid loud & vibrates all over the place. The OTMT one has an imperial dial instead of metric, the collets are metric but no big deal to me. Came with CBN wheel for HSS. I'm going to buy the diamond wheel for my carbide drills (main reason I got this). Relief angle & split point grinding is adjustable.

I'll post up a review after I have used it a bit.

I've had my yellow version for a little over a year. It does a great job. The weakness is the quality of the grinding wheel. I've worn out 3 of the cbn wheels but I've sharpened a bunch of drills with it.
I hope you have better luck with carbide than I did. I never could get mine machine tight enough to do a good job. I even tried another diamond wheel to see if that was the problem. No deal. Carbide don't like no wiggle.
Seedtick

Back