What Did You Buy Today?

Yard sale find a couple of weeks ago for $5...dusted it off and discovered it was made down the road from me in Burlington, VT way back in the day.

IMG-5254.jpg
Needs some paint and a new grounded cord. The little knob can be loosened and re-positioned for comfort. Appears to be about a 1/4" capacity chuck. Kind of an old school Dremel.

IMG-5255.jpg
Powerful enough to use as a toolpost drill? Definitely in plastics, maybe aluminum...

IMG-5256.jpg

IMG-5257.jpg

Here is the only reliable link I could find about Fairchild Industries: Vintage Machinery

A couple of days ago I saw a 15" Clausing drill press on Craig's List that looked interesting. I'd been looking for a good floor model drill press and after I saw it in person I couldn't pass it up for $125. It stands over six feet tall and weighs 310 pounds (which I'm glad I didn't know when I was unloading it by myself from my Kia Hatchback!). After removing the mouse nest and peanut shells from the head (see below), freeing a few things up, and removing some rust, it works beautifully. There's still a lot of rust to remove on the base. It looked like an early 60's machine to me and Clausing confirmed that yesterday--1961. Really big bonus: no "arc of shame."

Attachments

• Clausing Drill Press 1.jpg
    Clausing Drill Press 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Clausing Drill Press 2.jpg
    Clausing Drill Press 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 36
Beautiful drill press! Here is the manual.
Also the link to my thread may help you.
Robert

Attachments

• Clausing Drill Manual.pdf
    832.3 KB · Views: 0
I haven seen 2 of those Clausing drill pressess, go for over $500 each at some estate auctions here several years ago. You made a great deal.

Received a brand new 14n super ball bearing Jacobs chuck today . They aren't what they used to be . Also rescued 5 motors with pumps from the metal graveyard . 2 are single phase and 3 are 3 phase . Not sure what to do with them yet but the sickness continues ! :grin: Wire wheels , buffers , etc ?

I don't really do reviews but I might post a little something about it after I make a base plate for it. So far I'm pretty happy with it, especially for the price I paid. Been eyeing it for a while & waiting for a sale. I've never had anything else so nothing to compare to besides a little 8" Grizzly unit.

Well packaged, secure in the crate. Fed-Ex left it on my door step on it's side. Can easily tell which way was supposed to be up yet they decide to just lay it down on it's side. I hate Fed-Ex!

Sorry about the rant. Yeah so no damage, no rust, nothing worth noting. Just a small paint chip on the front. Made in China, I originally thought it may have been India. I have a hand shear from them, also no complaints & has been working well for me. Really the only reason I buy from them is the name, well price too. We all know what the word means universally, it's an inside joke for me.

View attachment 290507View attachment 290508
Hi will, it's been a few months since you got your finger brake, I am thinking to get the same model but before I do I'd like to know your opinion on it, especially the 20 Ga maximum thickness capacity.
I can get a 24" brake that can bend up to 16 gauge mild steel , the price difference is about $160 ,the only reason I'm looking at the 24" is the higher capacity(16 GA max.) since I hardly do any project over 12" long ,.
Has the smaller size of your brake ever been something that made you regret buying it? has there ever been a time that you wished you could bend a heavier gauge with that brake?
What's your overall view of the quality, fit & finish, etc.
I'm not expecting a full ,detailed review, just a few words to let us know if it has been a good purchase or not.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi will, it's been a few months since you got your finger brake, I am thinking to get the same model but before I do I'd like to know your opinion on it, especially the 20 Ga maximum thickness capacity.
I can get a 24" brake that can bend up to 16 gauge mild steel , the price difference is about $160 ,the only reason I'm looking at the 24" is the higher capacity(16 GA max.) since I hardly do any project over 12" long ,.
Has the smaller size of your brake ever been something that made you regret buying it? has there ever been a time that you wished you could bend a heavier gauge with that brake?
What's your overall view of the quality, fit & finish, etc.
I'm not expecting a full ,detailed review, just a few words to let us know if it has been a good purchase or not.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't used it all that much still, just some little bends that wasn't the thickest gauge it's rated for. So no idea how well it handles that yet. Once I get a tig welder I'll use it more & that was the plan.

I wish I could have got a bigger model but I don't have the room. Everything I buy now has to be small & portable so I can store it away when not in use. It's not that I regret buying mine cause of the quality or size, I just wish it could bend thicker gauge material but really haven't had a need yet. But I am happy with the one I got, I'd buy it again for the price I paid.

I'd say if you can get the bigger one, do that. I made the mistake of buying a brake first by going by the size (width capacity) rather than material thickness capacity. I first purchased a Grizzly 8" unit not really paying attention to what gauge material it can bend. But I still have it & I'm able to keep it in a drawer. It's nice to have when I just need to do small quick bends on tiny stuff & it has a built in shear. If & when I have a need I'll build or buy one of those basic non finger brakes that mount to the edge of a table for thicker stuff.

618ojMieGiL._SX425_.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't used it all that much still, just some little bends that wasn't thick thickest gauge it'scrated for. So no idea how well it handles that yet. Once I get a tig welder I'll use it more & that was the plan.

I wish I could have got a bigger model but I don't have the room. Everything I buy now has to be small & portable so I can store it away when not in use. It's not that I regret buying mine cause of the quality or size, I just wish it could bend thicker gauge material but really haven't had a need yet. But I am happy with the one I got, I'd buy it again for the price I paid.

I'd say if you can get the bigger one, do that. I made the mistake of buying a brake first by going by the size (width capacity) rather than material thickness capacity. I first purchased a Grizzly 8" unit not really paying attention to what gauge material it can bend. But I still have it & I'm able to keep it in a drawer. It's nice to have when I just need to do small quick bends on tiny stuff & it has a built in shear. If & when I have a need I'll build or buy one of those basic non finger brakes that mount to the edge of a table for thicker stuff.
I hear you laud and clear, that's exactly what I needed to hear,, the thickness limit of these hobby brakes is one of the reasons why they are relatively so inexpensive.
Thank you Will for your help,

Back