What Did You Buy Today?

So , as I said yesterday , I got a brand new Jacobs 14N Super Ball Bearing chuck in here at work yesterday . Came from MSC . First thing I notice is the letters and all are etched in on the chuck . Second thing I notice is a SVC KIT etch . Third thing I did NOT notice was anything being familiar to USA . This is not one of the Jacobs BBSCs of old for sure . What gives ? I'm wondering if my order got changed upstairs for a cheaper chuck or are all new Jacobs this way ? I have 30 or so older at home and look to be better than this new one . :dunno:

So , as I said yesterday , I got a brand new Jacobs 14N Super Ball Bearing chuck in here at work yesterday . Came from MSC . First thing I notice is the letters and all are etched in on the chuck . Second thing I notice is a SVC KIT etch . Third thing I did NOT notice was anything being familiar to USA . This is not one of the Jacobs BBSCs of old for sure . What gives ? I'm wondering if my order got changed upstairs for a cheaper chuck or are all new Jacobs this way ? I have 30 or so older at home and look to be better than this new one . :dunno:

Sadly Jacobs moved production overseas a while ago. All those BB chucks that use the SVC kit (caged bearings instead of loose individual bearings) are the ones made in China.

I'm not a fan of the etching either, looks cheap compared the older engraved ones. I have no idea about the performance on the China ones, never used one. I assume they still work good, for the price they're still charging for them they better.

Will . Just read this . https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/jacobs-18n-super-chuck.68260/#post-571373

That is truly sad . I hope it performs better than it looks ! :big grin: ( luckily it is for work )

Blame Apex (or could have been Danaher but they no longer own the Apex Tool Group). Apex Tools still own Jacobs. Apex owns many brands that you are familiar with. I'm still mad at them for killing the Armstrong brand! :D They killed off Allen as well.

But yeah I'm sure it's still a good working chuck. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling at the price they still charge for them.

I took the time to find the old made in Hartford CT ones. I got 3 of the 14Ns & rebuilt them all. Also got an older 18N but I haven't rebuilt that one yet. Downside is rebuild kits are getting harder to find for the old ones. But mine won't be used in production so they'll probably last me my lifetime.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/jacobs-ball-bearing-chuck-rebuild-14n-done-my-way.28128/

Img_0492.jpg

Well , heck ! I sure won't have far to walk to complain ……………………...as I work for Danaher . LMAO ! :grin::grin:

Well , heck ! I sure won't have far to walk to complain ……………………...as I work for Danaher . LMAO ! :grin::grin:

Haha! Hmm so can you get me a good deal on Matco tools? :big grin:

Well Danaher sold Apex to some firm that owns a bunch of other familiar stores like Dominos, Staples, Dunkin Donuts, Toys R Us (well was), even AMC movie theaters.

Matco ? If we ( Danaher ) own them the answer is yes and I'll look into it . :big grin: I did know they owned quite a few tool companies in the past but never looked into it , but yep , I'll check it out now .

Nice thread on the Jacobs breakdown above . If I ever get the time and energy I'll get those chucks looking as purdy as yours ! :drool:

Lots to read here . :rolleyes:

Matco ? If we ( Danaher ) own them the answer is yes and I'll look into it . :big grin: I did know they owned quite a few tool companies in the past but never looked into it , but yep , I'll check it out now .

Nice thread on the Jacobs breakdown above . If I ever get the time and energy I'll get those chucks looking as purdy as yours ! :drool:

Thank you but I kid I kid, my tool truck buying days are over since I no longer work on cars for a living but I still have all my Snap-On & Matco tools. I never bought any Mac stuff & I've never seen a Cornwell truck arou d here. Whatever Snap-On & Matco I buy these days are from ebay. I believe Danaher still owns Matco.

Hard to tell . My head is spinning after reading that information ! :grin: I still have all my older Armstrong and Proto etc stuff at home and still buy it when I find it cheap . Don't know why , but heck , that's what we do .

Wow, interesting, I had no idea Danaher used to own Chicago Pneumatic & that Jacobs once owned Matco then split to form the Jacobs Chuck co. What's funny is Matco used to be a part Mac Tools & now they are competitors so to speak.

I get a kick out of reading about how tool companies came to be & who they used to own or was owned by. I never really cared until I became a tool addict & noticed how many tools are pretty much the same exact thing sold under different brand names. Like how Armstrong & older Matco ratchets used to be the same (era of when Danaher owned Apex). I've used Armstrong ratchet rebuild kits in some of my Matco ratchets. Now that Armstrong is no longer produced (but can still find them) the Gearwrench rebuild kits will work.

Back