What Did You Buy Today?

I got these and a bunch of drills for 5$ i said take 10$. Anyone ever hear of that brand for the machinist level? It has some rust on the bottom so i am trying to think how i could clean it off. Looks like flash rust from sitting in a moist basement in the cardboard box

Attachments

• 6BEB865B-15EF-4FFF-AA10-5DF3A95DAE97.jpeg
    6BEB865B-15EF-4FFF-AA10-5DF3A95DAE97.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • E4A861CC-133A-4ECE-BCE8-C1F65725D845.jpeg
    E4A861CC-133A-4ECE-BCE8-C1F65725D845.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
I got these and a bunch of drills for 5$ i said take 10$. Anyone ever hear of that brand for the machinist level? It has some rust on the bottom so i am trying to think how i could clean it off. Looks like flash rust from sitting in a moist basement in the cardboard box

Looks like a Starrett, with a company sticker stuck on it. I would not be surprised to hear that Exact company was short lived due to lawsuits…lol

3 in 1 and scotchbrite will clean it up. Or evapo rust and scotch brite.
High bridge is only about 10 miles from here. I don't know if they are still in business.
I'll have to check.

edit1: is there fluid in the vial?
edit2: I just realized I think I know which building they were in. They are not in business anymore.

They also seem to jack up the price if you have been looking at an item for too long. To plot Amazon prices vs time, you can use camelcamelcamel. camelcamelcamel is an Amazon price tracker. That can help you determine if the price is at a long term high or low, or a local max or min. Used to be more fully featured, but is still a useful website.

Have often found that Amazon is NOT the lowest cost, including shipping. Sometimes they are. Have to be a savvy shopper, or you will be burned. Kind of like most things these days - got to look out for yourself, because no one else will do it for you.
Absolutely. Amazon is like Costco in that respect: there are good deals to be had, but a lot of stuff is priced high. My son just had to buy
a new laptop for school and since he didn't know what he needed until classes started, it was a rush to get one. The computer he needed
was out of stock everywhere except Amazon which had one. Their price was the highest.

I bought a new bench vise for my shop. Got one of the 6” forged Capri vises. Look forward to receiving it. I also bought a self healing cutting Matt. I plan on wood topping one of my General tool chests, and adding that to the top, but my floor is not so level so I may need to remove the rollers and add some leveling feet so I can also use it for a small surface plate. It’s going to be interesting figuring out how to fit everything in the shop…

3 in 1 and scotchbrite will clean it up. Or evapo rust and scotch brite.
High bridge is only about 10 miles from here. I don't know if they are still in business.
I'll have to check.

edit1: is there fluid in the vial?
edit2: I just realized I think I know which building they were in. They are not in business anymore.
There is fluid in the vile. I will prob use some scotchbrite and 3 in 1 like you said.

you are going to have a lot of dull cutters in there. you have a few uses still for them.
some will have their tips sharp, but sides are roached,
others will have their sides sharp but their tips are roached.
others will be shot.

obviously the ones that have tips can be used to drill flat bottom holes.
sharp sides to side cut..
the tools that are shot are useful as tool steel to create cutters for your lathe, or grinding to create tooling for your boring head.

so don't throw stuff out, keep a bin for HSS that can be used to create new tools.

ya got a S load of stuff there... nice.
Used cutting tool lots come with a wonderful silver lining- they will make you proficient at sharpening. If you heed the call, a lot like that is a lifetime supply.

Back