What Did You Buy Today?

I have a similar drill set from drill hog. Hope it lasts a while.

Well, I didn't buy all of this today, but now that I have a camera that's not a pain to use and a clean work bench, here's what I bought over the past few months:

First up, a whole BOATLOAD of drills. Probably too many, honestly. My favorite is the 22" long 1/2" diameter taper shank drill. Also included are some taps (including pulley taps, always wanted some of those!), carbide tipped taper shank reamers, and extra-long #2 carbide center drills.
View attachment 383618
Here's that hilariously long drill. It's almost too big to be useful in my machine, but I just wanted it for the "cool" factor.
View attachment 383623
I'm really excited to use this geometric die head. I've been contemplating making some custom aquarium hardware, and I've heard these die heads are great for cutting NPT. Also pictured is a 5/8" solid carbide indexable boring bar, some really massive spade drills that I'm questioning the utility of, and a whole boatload of abrasive stones.
View attachment 383619
Some tuning fork clamps, parallels, a Bridgeport-brand R8 endmill holder, scales, an indexable end mill (always wanted one with round inserts), and some surface gages that need a bit of love.
View attachment 383620
I wasn't super happy with my 4" rotary table from Little Machine Shop, so I decided to upgrade. Clickspring has said he really liked his Vertex rotary table, so I went for one of those. Seems pretty well built!
View attachment 383621
A Starrett #359 bevel protractor and a Starrett #446 1-2" depth mic. They both need some TLC, but they seem to be in good working order!
View attachment 383622
One of those old-timey Hand Tool Rescue wrenches. Probably not something I'll use too terribly much, but it looks cool!
View attachment 383624
Finally, a full set of drills from Chicago Latrobe. I have an import-quality set that's been driving me nuts. The number drills were the worst, drilling far oversize and leaving a terrible surface finish. These have performed beautifully and should last me a long, long time.
View attachment 383625

So that's basically everything. Sorry for the massive wall of pictures, I cropped a lot of them down substantially so that should hopefully help with the file sizes.

Well, I didn't buy all of this today, but now that I have a camera that's not a pain to use and a clean work bench, here's what I bought over the past few months:

First up, a whole BOATLOAD of drills. Probably too many, honestly. My favorite is the 22" long 1/2" diameter taper shank drill. Also included are some taps (including pulley taps, always wanted some of those!), carbide tipped taper shank reamers, and extra-long #2 carbide center drills.

Here's that hilariously long drill. It's almost too big to be useful in my machine, but I just wanted it for the "cool" factor.

I'm really excited to use this geometric die head. I've been contemplating making some custom aquarium hardware, and I've heard these die heads are great for cutting NPT. Also pictured is a 5/8" solid carbide indexable boring bar, some really massive spade drills that I'm questioning the utility of, and a whole boatload of abrasive stones.

Some tuning fork clamps, parallels, a Bridgeport-brand R8 endmill holder, scales, an indexable end mill (always wanted one with round inserts), and some surface gages that need a bit of love.

I wasn't super happy with my 4" rotary table from Little Machine Shop, so I decided to upgrade. Clickspring has said he really liked his Vertex rotary table, so I went for one of those. Seems pretty well built!

A Starrett #359 bevel protractor and a Starrett #446 1-2" depth mic. They both need some TLC, but they seem to be in good working order!

One of those old-timey Hand Tool Rescue wrenches. Probably not something I'll use too terribly much, but it looks cool!

Finally, a full set of drills from Chicago Latrobe. I have an import-quality set that's been driving me nuts. The number drills were the worst, drilling far oversize and leaving a terrible surface finish. These have performed beautifully and should last me a long, long time.

So that's basically everything. Sorry for the massive wall of pictures, I cropped a lot of them down substantially so that should hopefully help with the file sizes.
what kind of work do you do that you needed those long drills? I have only a few times needed super long drills. A friend sent me one in a size I didn't have one time, while rebuilding the southbend lathe, and other times I have made long holders..

Just curious.
I have a few ford style wrenches. I do find use for them. Especially the largest one.. They can be handy, not sure that small hand tool rescue will be as handy. Those chicago latrobe bits look nice:eagerness:.
The tuning fork is something I want. There have been a number of times I have needed much longer hold downs to span a hole. I used some parallels that I had and held them together :(

Not sure the geometrics are npt geared, but they are nice tapping heads when you have a ton of threads to cut. A friend has one on a turret head (manual type) and it works a charm, when he had to do 1000 pieces for a job. I was impressed.

You didn't mention the files... NOS files?

I've never used spade bits like that, not sure I know what material they are good for? Or their purpose. Why not just drill, and bore? I would expect those to generate a ton of heat. I understand what a D bit does, but not those... they are big.

and what size is the vertex? I assume you went up in size when you upgraded.

Folks... what would you recommend I get first.. A rotating table? or dividing head? I will eventually want to get both, but not sure which one I would use more...
I'm going to add to what I said earlier...
Years ago I asked the question here or on another forum , should I get a swivel plate for my vise. Most everyone said no.. not needed.
Well, I didn't get one, but I have needed it so many times, and I'm hoping the rotary table I bought will solve some of the issues I have had about having to cut angles.

Just because I respond, doesn't mean it fits with what your needs are... it's just an opinion.. please always recognize, I am not telling you what to do, I am offering an opinion. Your needs will vary from mine. Everyone's needs are different. Use the info I or anyone else provides as just another way of looking at things.

Also, I will caution you (my opinion) about buying a ton of things that Utubers have, and look cool. They are cool... will you ever need them???? There are a lot of guys that buy things and can't move around their shops.. I know one person that has many of the same thing, (for many things).. he can't find any of the tools he bought previously so he buys another. His garage is so packed, you can't get in there. So he can't get the tool he needs.. so he buys another, and another... He's happy. He brags about it... I think it's a waste... he's a horder.. he won't part with anything. So just a warning.. Things accumulate fast...

We all like tools, and I gotta tell ya; Look to guys like Mark Frazier, that man made some beautiful stuff with a simple Southbend 9, and a Small burke (if I remember). His handle here is Mark_F and he has his own web site (group) https://groups.io/g/homemachineshop ... Very impressive how he did without, and made stunning machines.

Where did you find room for this one Bear?!? You seemed to be pretty full when I came by for that surface plate!

This one has been put into storage in my outside shop until I finish the blue one that I'm currently working on...

You are right, though... I'm about 'Hendey poor'...

-Bear

surface plate? or lapping plate?
Was advertised as a surface plate but I have used my granite one for lapping in the past. In either case it will serve my purpose for layout fine, and for $50 I'm happy....

John

Was advertised as a surface plate but I have used my granite one for lapping in the past. In either case it will serve my purpose for layout fine, and for $50 I'm happy....

John
John, what I am saying is that it is not a surface plate. It's a lapping plate. Those grooves are meant to clear swarf from lapping.
You could use the plate to lap your granite surface plate. Or other metal. As far as I know, no surface plate has the grooves cut for swarf. That's a great plate for multiple uses though. I use my metal surface plate for welding, as well as other things.

Back