What Did You Buy Today?

Was advertised as a surface plate but I have used my granite one for lapping in the past. In either case it will serve my purpose for layout fine, and for $50 I'm happy....

John
To add to what @woodchucker wrote, if the lapping plate has been charged with abrasive grit, it will wear any tool you use on it.

If it is new and unused (uncharged) then I suppose you could reasonably use it as a surface plate. Or, you could have it reground/scraped to remove any embedded grit.

All this assumes it is in fact flat enough for your purposes.

On the other hand, maybe you have a few layout tools that could stand a bit of lapping. :)

what kind of work do you do that you needed those long drills? I have only a few times needed super long drills. A friend sent me one in a size I didn't have one time, while rebuilding the southbend lathe, and other times I have made long holders..

Just curious.
I have a few ford style wrenches. I do find use for them. Especially the largest one.. They can be handy, not sure that small hand tool rescue will be as handy. Those chicago latrobe bits look nice:eagerness:.
The tuning fork is something I want. There have been a number of times I have needed much longer hold downs to span a hole. I used some parallels that I had and held them together :(

Not sure the geometrics are npt geared, but they are nice tapping heads when you have a ton of threads to cut. A friend has one on a turret head (manual type) and it works a charm, when he had to do 1000 pieces for a job. I was impressed.

You didn't mention the files... NOS files?

I've never used spade bits like that, not sure I know what material they are good for? Or their purpose. Why not just drill, and bore? I would expect those to generate a ton of heat. I understand what a D bit does, but not those... they are big.

and what size is the vertex? I assume you went up in size when you upgraded.
For the drills, I don't have anything in mind, but there's been a few jobs in the past where I had to flip the part and drill from the other side. I hated that, so when the ebay listing popped up, I figured I'd go for it. I also bought them because I think big drills are really cool.

I mostly bought the Hand Tool Rescue wrench because I thought it looked pretty cool and I wanted to support his channel. It does seem like it'll be useful for stopping a nut from spinning with a bolt, but I really don't do a lot of wrenching on stuff.

I had the same experience, and I started looking out for some tuning forks after seeing Adam Booth use them. I won't need them frequently (most of my work is pretty small), but they'll be just the thing when I get back to working on my die filer.

The thing that first turned me into die heads for NPT is the trick where you clamp one of the dies in your tool post to do "single point threading" without having a taper attachment. I then learned how they worked, and decided I wanted one. I'll likely stick with regular dies and single pointing for small runs, but I'm definitely looking forward to using this thing when I have any big runs of pipe threading to do.

Yep, NOS files! There's a bit of surface rusting on them, but I think that should clean up nicely. Nice new files are expensive, so I try to grab the old stuff when I can.

Honestly, I'm kind of regretting those spade drills. I have absolutely no clue when I'd ever use them. I might sell them, or save them to use for tool steel blanks.

Yep! Went from a 4" to a 6" table. A 6" would have been too big for my little G8689, but the working area on my PM-728 is just right for a 6" rotary table. I also like that the table locks aren't stupid. The Vertex has nice cam clamps instead of a little flanged thing that requires an Allen key (and also binds up the table if you don't loosen them almost all the way...).

John, what I am saying is that it is not a surface plate. It's a lapping plate. Those grooves are meant to clear swarf from lapping.
You could use the plate to lap your granite surface plate. Or other metal. As far as I know, no surface plate has the grooves cut for swarf. That's a great plate for multiple uses though. I use my metal surface plate for welding, as well as other things.
Lapping plate it is.

Yes, it seems plenty flat for what I need and will make a good addition to my shop.

John

I bought this little pile of stuff from a local antique store. I have visited there a couple years ago and wanted to go look again. We were in the area and dropped in. Nothing earth shaking but for $53 I was pleased.
The only pieces that are not new are a couple of the HSS bits have been ground on one end.
Joe
I almost forgot, there was a Williams adjustable hook spanner wrench that was $10 that isn't in the picture.

Attachments

• 20211031_113150.jpg
    20211031_113150.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Yep, NOS files! There's a bit of surface rusting on them, but I think that should clean up nicely. Nice new files are expensive, so I try to grab the old stuff when I can.
I get a little excited over NOS files. I thihk we all know how good the old files are compared to modern files.

Sometimes the difference is so remarkable. Especially a new vs a used Old stock. Been a few years since I found good NOS files.

Wrong thread......

Back