What Did You Buy Today?

I just bought this Rockwell 23-501 tool grinder at an auction for $61.00. I haven’t tried it yet because the power cord is crusty, so I’ll need to get some wire first. Has a nice base pedestal, but is missing one of the cast trays that go under the grinding stones. How did I do?
did good, very good!!!
Dave

I just bought this Rockwell 23-501 tool grinder at an auction for $61.00. I haven’t tried it yet because the power cord is crusty, so I’ll need to get some wire first. Has a nice base pedestal, but is missing one of the cast trays that go under the grinding stones. How did I do?
Hmm, beat me to it. You did great!

Yesterday picked up a MSC carbide grinder and pedestal base listed on Market Place. 1 HP motor. Grinding wheels are extremely worn. Listened to it run, has pretty good bearings, coast down was in many minutes. Not a you suck purchase, but not bad. Weird buy, stopped at guy's house, was told to pull into garage across the street. He had a generator in garage, but otherwise no electricity. No lights. Had to listen to unit under power while listening to generator. All the while holding a flashlight that I had brought, trying to check this unit out. Reminded me of those Craigslist listing where the photos are in the dark... Asked him to kill generator, just so I could listen to the coast down. Pictures on my bench, trying to figure out how to clean it up.
PXL_20211207_151606206.jpgPXL_20211207_151623804.jpg
As I understand it, these are type 2 wheels. What wheels do you guys recommend? I want to grind HSS mostly. Right now there is a white alumina wheel on it and a green wheel. 6 inch. 4 inch ID. Going on to Norton site is a bit confusing, if anyone could point out some decent wheels and appropriate grits, I'd appreciate it.

As I understand it, these are type 2 wheels. What wheels do you guys recommend? I want to grind HSS mostly. Right now there is a white alumina wheel on it and a green wheel. 6 inch. 4 inch ID. Going on to Norton site is a bit confusing, if anyone could point out some decent wheels and appropriate grits, I'd appreciate it.

I have a Rockwell version of the same grinder. Mine came with a set of alumina wheels (white-ish) and a set of the green SiC; the green for grinding carbide. I keep green on one side and white on the other; it’s nice to be able to touch up brazed carbide lathe tools. The wheels are pretty expensive and I have a couple belt grinders and another bench grinder so I’m basically just sticking with the ones so have until they are worn. When I looked into it, I remember them being referred to as face-mount wheels.

I have a Rockwell version of the same grinder. Mine came with a set of alumina wheels (white-ish) and a set of the green SiC; the green for grinding carbide. I keep green on one side and white on the other; it’s nice to be able to touch up brazed carbide lathe tools. The wheels are pretty expensive and I have a couple belt grinders and another bench grinder so I’m basically just sticking with the ones so have until they are worn. When I looked into it, I remember them being referred to as face-mount wheels.
you can pickup diamond wheels for doing carbide. I remember Keith Fenner bought a HF grinder, fixed it up (they are kits basically), and added a diamond wheel.

Norton doesn't seem to have any drawings, or decoder ring that I have found. My wheel is 5.68" in diameter and has a 1.25" bore, but seems to a little over 1.71" thick including the mounting plate. Abrasive height is 1.24" from plate outer surface. Haven't been able to match it with anything yet. White alumina.

Norton doesn't seem to have any drawings, or decoder ring that I have found. My wheel is 5.68" in diameter and has a 1.25" bore, but seems to a little over 1.71" thick including the mounting plate. Abrasive height is 1.24" from plate outer surface. Haven't been able to match it with anything yet. White alumina.
are you asking about the diamond wheel? search for Keith Fenner's video on the carbide grinder.
edit: it's a 3 part video..
I may be wrong, maybe he kept stone... but I think he upgraded it.

he did, I just went to the end of part3, he installed a diamond wheel.

No, the white wheel, like this. I'd like to replace mine. Came off easy, once I figured there was a left hand nut holding it on! That and a drop of Kroil on the nut.
PXL_20211207_204146354.jpg
There's lots of diamond or CBN wheels. Right now, I am looking for a new white wheel. Can one buy them anymore? This one seems different from a Norton wheel, dimensions in post #7290.

Edit: Found a Norton white wheel 80 grit. P/N 66252838314. MSC has them on eBay with free shipping. If you buy direct from MSC, no free shipping until your order is over $149. List price: $133

Last edited:
No, the white wheel, like this. I'd like to replace mine. Came off easy, once I figured there was a left hand nut holding it on! That and a drop of Kroil on the nut.
View attachment 387726
There's lots of diamond or CBN wheels. Right now, I am looking for a new white wheel. Can one buy them anymore? This one seems different from a Norton wheel, dimensions in post #7290.
while looking for new wheels, you can face and true your white wheel with a diamond dresser cause it has a lot of wear left in it. I just use any diamond grit tool (like a section of an old diamond skillsaw or angle grinder blade) and hold it in my hand using the flat side of the blade where the diamond grit is. just use a vacuum to contain the stone grit dust. old cement cutting blades can be used because they are diamond coated edge. I just use a thin cutoff blade in my angle grinder to cut the sections from the blades. this also works to true any gray or blue stone grinder wheels. when your white wheels are worn down you use them by hand to clean your diamond wheels by pressing them against the face of the diamond wheel. they will leave the diamonds sharp and clean.
Dave

are you asking about the diamond wheel? search for Keith Fenner's video on the carbide grinder.

I'm sure I will run into most of what Keith found.

I bought one of these and had to go through it as well. You do save $500 or so.
Heck, two good wheels will set you back $300 in my experience.
I lost that one in the fire. I found an old Baldor tool room grinder that runs beautifully.

Back