What Did You Buy Today?

I'll bet you beat me out... did you get the radius dresser for the surface grinder????

no, but I did put a lowball bid on it. I'll have to go back and check what it went for. To be honest, other than a nice 8" 3 jaw and a few other similar sized items, pretty much everything I got was tooling - drills, taps, inserts, end mills. It's going to take a looong time to sort through and organise :)

My Christmas present from my wife was $100.00 toward my extensive tool debts, *plus*…a spare adapter plate for my PM-1030V lathe!

I plan to use this backing plate for a yet to be purchased economical 5C collet. I already have a large amount of 5C collets that I bought for my other lathe, so these 5C collets can pull double duty.

These proprietary backing plates have been of stock for a long time!

Last edited:
@mattthemuppet2

I have no idea what's in them but I see hundreds of $$$ worth of tote pans there. They can be a great aid in organizing.

In case you don't have much experience with them, let me give you a few tips.

The totes stack nicely, BUT the bottoms can fail if heavily loaded, over time, and not sitting on a solid support. Using a cover on each tote has provided sufficient support for the bottom above, in my experience. I see that the price of covers is high now, IMHO, at McMaster, but you can shop for a better deal at other suppliers or maybe the manufacturer will sell direct. Try Zoro with a 20% off coupon and free shipping over $75.
There are (were?) also at least 3 styles of covers. One style is just a flat sheet that sits in the recess on the top flange of the tote. Another type is made of the same material as the box, fits over the the top flange of the box and includes a 1" (or so) deep skirt around the perimeter. The 3rd type is made of a relatively clear plastic and seems like a vacuformed part that snaps on the top flange. The flat ones are really dust covers and may not provide much support for a heavy load. The second type are probably the best support and most expensive. I generally use the third type because they were less expensive, I can see what's in the tote and I keep the weight down on stacked totes.

Another option I've considered (not done yet) is to cut a sheet if 1/4" plywood to fit into the bottom of the tote. However, if substantially overloaded (stacking a few heavy totes), the side walls of the lower one might tend to open up. Using types 2 or 3 covers restrains the top flange of the tote to prevent that distortion.

Of course, you can use them safely, unstacked, resting on a solid surface.

How did that become so long winded? I hope it helps.

Edit: McMaster used to sell both the type 2 and 3 covers that I described. I suspect the only type currently listed is the type 2. My guess is based on the price. If so, it's probably the strongest option for stacking on, but it's opaque. Only a guess.

Last edited:
Back