What Did You Buy Today?

Here's the car loaded up
View attachment 388098
Way overloaded and took it VERY carefully on the drive home. Load out took about four hours

Front seat
View attachment 388099

Back seat
View attachment 388100

Trunk
View attachment 388101

No more auctions for me for awhile!
You were not kidding!!!! Wow!!

just curious, is this a hobby for you or a business?

For me is a hobby… just trying to understand how bad it could get for me… if this is just a hobby for you too… :D

Last edited:
@mattthemuppet2

I have no idea what's in them but I see hundreds of $$$ worth of tote pans there. They can be a great aid in organizing.

In case you don't have much experience with them, let me give you a few tips.

The totes stack nicely, BUT the bottoms can fail if heavily loaded, over time, and not sitting on a solid support. Using a cover on each tote has provided sufficient support for the bottom above, in my experience. I see that the price of covers is high now, IMHO, at McMaster, but you can shop for a better deal at other suppliers or maybe the manufacturer will sell direct. Try Zoro with a 20% off coupon and free shipping over $75.
There are (were?) also at least 3 styles of covers. One style is just a flat sheet that sits in the recess on the top flange of the tote. Another type is made of the same material as the box, fits over the the top flange of the box and includes a 1" (or so) deep skirt around the perimeter. The 3rd type is made of a relatively clear plastic and seems like a vacuformed part that snaps on the top flange. The flat ones are really dust covers and may not provide much support for a heavy load. The second type are probably the best support and most expensive. I generally use the third type because they were less expensive, I can see what's in the tote and I keep the weight down on stacked totes.

Another option I've considered (not done yet) is to cut a sheet if 1/4" plywood to fit into the bottom of the tote. However, if substantially overloaded (stacking a few heavy totes), the side walls of the lower one might tend to open up. Using types 2 or 3 covers restrains the top flange of the tote to prevent that distortion.

Of course, you can use them safely, unstacked, resting on a solid surface.

How did that become so long winded? I hope it helps.

Edit: McMaster used to sell both the type 2 and 3 covers that I described. I suspect the only type currently listed is the type 2. My guess is based on the price. If so, it's probably the strongest option for stacking on, but it's opaque. Only a guess.
Thanks, those are good tips. Funny thing is I left about half of the totes behind, just didn't have space to take them! Probably could have died them in but I was already way overloaded and running late. The auction guy said he'd use them for the next sale, so at least they'll get used.

Holy moly! That’s impressive. It will be fun to see you sort it out. Nice job just dealing with all that.
Yeah, it's going to take a good while just sorting through it! Today's job (other than doing the grading I should have done yesterday) is to organize the garage so I can get the scrap out that's going to the scrappers next Saturday and put these in it's place.

Can't do any more than that until I get the Full Metal Chicken finished. Pretty tight deadline on that
You were not kidding!!!! Wow!!

just curious, is this a hobby for you or a business?

For me is a hobby… just trying to understand how bad it could get for me… if this is just a hobby for you too… :D
Yeah, I got a bit carried away! Mostly hobby business/ side hustle to make up for not having a pay rise for 5 years, but also a way to get some cool tooling for my own "shop". Just with a half hour looking around I pulled out 3/8 and a 1/2" solid carbide sclcr boring bars!

@Eyerelief

Can you identify the manufacturer or link to the collet rack(s) shown?
I don't think I've ever seen one with the sizes printed on.

Yeah, it's going to take a good while just sorting through it! Today's job (other than doing the grading I should have done yesterday) is to organize the garage so I can get the scrap out that's going to the scrappers next Saturday and put these in it's place.

Can't do any more than that until I get the Full Metal Chicken finished. Pretty tight deadline on that

Yeah, I got a bit carried away! Mostly hobby business/ side hustle to make up for not having a pay rise for 5 years, but also a way to get some cool tooling for my own "shop". Just with a half hour looking around I pulled out 3/8 and a 1/2" solid carbide sclcr boring bars!
I could use ER40 collets for my birthday next month! Lol great haul!!!

@Eyerelief

Can you identify the manufacturer or link to the collet rack(s) shown?
I don't think I've ever seen one with the sizes printed on.
I bought it off fleabay They had a couple different offerings. I chose the complete set covering all sizes by 64ths. Here is the description
5C All Sizes 64ths-set Collet Rack Tray Drawer or Bench - Storage Holder 4BJ4X16
I like that They are plastic with mdf sides. The sizes are actually ingraved into the plastic, and common sizes are marked differently

As we always walk a few miles at Oceanside harbor on the weekends, this time there happened to be a small parking lot swap meet....soooo.......I couldn't resist having a look. Found a KD # 385 valve spring compressor, perfect for motorcycles for $1, then a pair of Channel locks #430 for $1, next a funny looking leather pencil holder;) called a Hunter Sure Fit 2200-3....for $8 and last but not least....drum roll please......a Interapid test indicator .0001 resolution Model 312-B3 in the box with all the trimmings, like new....for $10!!! Happy Dance!!! :grin big:

Attachments

• Tools-1.jpeg
    Tools-1.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Tools-2.jpeg
    Tools-2.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 33
  • Tools-3.jpeg
    Tools-3.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Tools-4.jpeg
    Tools-4.jpeg