What Did You Buy Today?

If you have a bead blast cabinet, maybe duct tape over the cooling vents and see how that works "Getting rid of the blues". Mike

Right about now I am thinking that my next buy is going to be a used pallet jack... Do most of you folks have one to move stuff around? Seeing a few used for around 100.00...

Or do you move stuff with pipes and such, or rent one... and avoid another bulky item in the workshop/garage?

Had these for a few days, first attempt at using them today. Iscar parting tool & tips:
5E401C38-1EA4-4375-A2FD-CE289FA16DE9.jpeg528402B0-49B1-4B25-9E33-5580F4FE38F0.jpeg71B786B9-B753-4737-89B2-93FF2CE05FCB.jpeg7481714D-05B1-40D5-8D93-346D6F6731C5.jpeg

it’s night and day better than my old insert-blade-inna-custom-clamp-held-inna-toolholder. Not surprising as it’s closer to the toolpost dovetails reducing all that overhang. And the tips dont get forced back into the blade, losing tool height. It has no problems on the rando bar stock I chucked up to test it on. No rubbing, no squeeling. :)

Right about now I am thinking that my next buy is going to be a used pallet jack... Do most of you folks have one to move stuff around? Seeing a few used for around 100.00...

Or do you move stuff with pipes and such, or rent one... and avoid another bulky item in the workshop/garage?

I use my pallet jack often... when I'm not using it, I roll it under the end of a workbench so it actually takes up very little space.

-Bear

I think a pallet jack is much preferred over putting casters under everything that you want to be easily mobile.

You have to be careful when moving tall, top heavy items (no abrupt turns) but still a great tool.

I think a pallet jack is much preferred over putting casters under everything that you want to be easily mobile.

You have to be careful when moving tall, top heavy items (no abrupt turns) but still a great tool.
I use my pallet jack often... when I'm not using it, I roll it under the end of a workbench so it actually takes up very little space.

-Bear

Thank you... I keep looking for a Bridgeport, or Bridgeport clone, milling machine... A pallet jack would be extremely handy to move something like that... and the lathe should be coming soon, so I can use it to move that around and use the engine lift crane to put it in place (if I do not end up getting that telescopic gantry crane that I have been eyeing for a few months now)...

I will grab a pallet jack to be ready... Thank you again.

Engine hoist and a heavy cart does it for me getting stuff in, and I put wheels on anything I can get away with putting wheels on once in the shop.

I could see a pallet jack being useful in a garage with large machines if you have the floor space to move it around. They do need a bit of room to maneuver but as Bear says they are fairly easy to tuck in under a bench or something when not being used.

Have a pallet jack which is a narrow one for printers pallets. Really don’t know how I managed without it. It has a 2,500kg capacity. Bought the narrow one as there access issues in the shop, just have a few small pallets if I need them.
I have two pallet jacks . Both free discards because the connector for the chain broke inside the handle I made new connectors out of a piece of hot rolled rod and pressed pins in them to attach the chain. I no longer think twice about moving anything

If I had a garage shop, I would have a pallet jack. I would make my own pallets for the heaviest equip. Not the light duty stuff, or find the heavy pallets. With some welding of tubes, you could make it so you have a removeable fence on the pallet for when you need to stabilize a load. just plug them in when needed and strap the load to the tubes to prevent it from tilting / falling. just like a fork lift. Also the nice thing about a pallet jack is you are not flattening the wheels, since you don't keep weight on them. I have gone through many wheels lately, the polyurethane type fail over time. If you mount any equip on casters, get the solid metal, or the thin tired with a metal hub. Just my opinion.

Attachments

• 20210108_131057.jpg
    20210108_131057.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210108_161036.jpg
    20210108_161036.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210425_121223.jpg
    20210425_121223.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
Back