What Did You Buy Today?

Visited local dealer and found some projects...

A Nikken LM5 live center missing the center drill cover and a Jacobs 20N chuck on looks like MT4 Taper inserted into MT5 adaptor.

All for 10 bucks.

Nothing moves so work needed.

The center has removable cap at bottom of taper that is missing so lots of crud to clean out, soaking with oil now.

They are interesting in that they have a cap like device that goes on like a bayonet that holds center drill.

Cool idea. Center in tailstock, cap on, center drill, cap off use center.

MT5 good for the L&S.

the drill chuck will fit that and maybe the SB 14.5 if we get the adaptor apart.

Need to service it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Do you think he ate his Wheaties or was there something else introduced into his diet?
”Did you get stung by a bee?” Twins with Danny Devito.

Jeff,

Personally, based only on photos, I think he got stung by a radio-active bus full of steroids.
But I leave it to his house-keeper to decide.

Brian

What I did buy, but haven't received yet: AXA-4D boring bar holder.

Aloris announced a sale around the end of November. Ordered one via an eBay vendor on November 24th. Waited a month and sent a message to eBay that I hadn't received the part. eBay cancelled my order - which was NOT what I wanted. Was an attractive price too :(

So ordered again from a different seller on Dec. 24th. Claimed I have it by Dec 30th. Did not happen. Contacted seller on 31 Dec and said Aloris would ship it to me on 4 January. On 6 January I see a notification from eBay that my part shipped on Jan 5th. eBay shows a UPS tracking number, and a delivery date of December 2, 2021! I am thinking that eBay has just invented a time machine - having delivered the part 22 days before I had ordered it from the second seller. Send seller a message via eBay that there is a problem and would they clarify things for me. Two days go by and no response. Fortunately eBay listed a contact number direct to the seller (this is unusual!) so I called yesterday. Seller agreed this was indeed unusual, re: the time machine. They called Aloris and confirmed it had not been shipped. I asked the seller to update the eBay status to correctly report reality, ie product not shipped. They did update eBay, I am glad to report. Was concerned that eBay would do something dumb again... Seller reported to me they were having all sorts of issues with suppliers, not just Aloris. My seller said, (and I really am not holding my breath here,) that Aloris would ship by the end of next week. Believe it when I see it. For the record, the second seller was All Industrial Tools. They have been very helpful and would recommend them. The agent I spoke with said he'd call me back within 15 minutes - and he really did. That's a rarity these days.

Anyone else have troubles getting stuff from Aloris? Wondering if they got swamped due to their announced sale (20% off). Or it is just the reality these days due to the ongoing pandemic disruption?

Anyone else have troubles getting stuff from Aloris? Wondering if they got swamped due to their announced sale (20% off). Or it is just the reality these days due to the ongoing pandemic disruption?
When I learned that Amazon sells some Aloris stuff and they ship free I started getting some things from them to save the heavy shiping costs from Aloris direect. I needed a new Aloris P-6 blade and ordered it around end of Nov. At the time of order it said it was not in stock but they would ship me one when it becomes available so I hit OK anyways since the price. I just got it yesterday.

When I learned that Amazon sells some Aloris stuff and they ship free I started getting some things from them to save the heavy shiping costs from Aloris direect. I needed a new Aloris P-6 blade and ordered it around end of Nov. At the time of order it said it was not in stock but they would ship me one when it becomes available so I hit OK anyways since the price. I just got it yesterday.
Technically, Amazon doesn't ship for free, they just markup the product cost. They do it all the time. As an example look up WD40 1 gallon. Cheapest is $31.97 with free shipping. Ace Hardware has it in their store for $26.99. The way I figure is they are charging $4.98 for shipping. That being said, sometimes Amazon does have good deals. I have learned to check them for price, but then to look around for a better deal. Often Amazon is not the best price. They used to offer a better value.

Technically, Amazon doesn't ship for free, they just markup the product cost. They do it all the time. As an example look up WD40 1 gallon. Cheapest is $31.97 with free shipping. Ace Hardware has it in their store for $26.99. The way I figure is they are charging $4.98 for shipping. That being said, sometimes Amazon does have good deals. I have learned to check them for price, but then to look around for a better deal. Often Amazon is not the best price. They used to offer a better value.
yep, they USED to.
Unfortunately Amazon has killed a lot of local stores / suppliers.
Their model was monopolize the world, become the biggest.. then F everyone.
2 day shipping.. non-existent. I am averaging 4-5 .. But have waited longer for items they claim are IN STOCK.
are they ever going back to 2 day... NO.. there's no secret about it.

What I don't get, is why Kool Mist is cheaper through Amazon (All Industrial) than through All Industrial direct. makes no sense. All Industrial gives $$$ to Amazon, so it should be more $$ than direct..

2 day shipping.. non-existent. I am averaging 4-5 .. But have waited longer for items they claim are IN STOCK.
are they ever going back to 2 day... NO.. there's no secret about it.
That's my beef with them. I didn't mind paying for Prime to get the faster shipping - that was value added. But now, they have re-negged on that value proposition. Instead they offer (worthless to me) other perks of Prime. No longer worth it to me. Prime does not offer faster shipping anymore. I can get stuff from eBay and other sources for less, most of the time, and quicker than from Amazon. Not going to renew Prime this year as the value has declined well below their price for the service. They have lost their way...

I hear you guys on the ever changing Amazon stuff but the blade I got was going to be 85 bucks from Aloris or 62 from AMZN. No brainer. I have unique shipping challenges because of the islands. USPS has great solutions for me in the form of tax payer subsidized "Flat Rate" options. Most companies that end up growing to a certain size, like McMaster Carr, MSC, Grainger, etc.. end up "partnering" with logistics solution providers like UPS/FedEx, etc. These guys put something on a plane for me in the supply chain and I get to pay more with fewer shipping options. They make it easier for the seller though which is fine but relegates me to places like eBay where a small outfit can get to the post office to ship in a Flat Rate box.

Last edited:
I hear you guys on the ever changing Amazon stuff but the blade I got was going to be 85 bucks from Aloris or 62 from AMZN. No brainer. I have unique shipping challenges because of the islands. USPS has great solutions for me in the form of tax payer subsidized "Flat Rate" options. Most companies that end up growing to a certain size, like McMaster Carr, MSC, Grainger, etc.. end up "partnering" with logistics solution providers like UPS/FedEx, etc. These guys put something on a plane for me in the supply chain and I get to pay more with fewer shipping options. The make it easier for the seller though which is fine but relegates me to placs like eBay where a small outfit can get to the post office to ship in a Flat Rate box.
I'd do the same thing, given your circumstances.

I am going to make some pallets to improve my production on my CNC mill. They will be aluminum and I will be using Mitee Bite clamps. I want to ensure the threads will hold up to the repeated use so I bought a few different size Heli Coil kits and lots of inserts for the main sizes I need. Pierson Workholding Pallet system should be here in a week or so. Will also mount my vise to a pallet so easy on and off with no tramming.
Which Pierson pallet system did you go with?

I’ve had a PPS with vacuum pallet in a shopping cart for a while..

Back