What Did You Buy Today?

We worked on our finds, the Nikken live center and the jacobs chuck.

Buffed the crud from the chuck, found a key not quite big enough but works, it was stuck from sitting, as soon as it moved it turned by hand.

Wire wheel cleaned it up nicely, good to go.

The center is more interesting.

It was a set of slots for a cap to go on to hold a center drill. No cap, will need to find one.

Put it in the vise, point down and it is solid.

Has a missing cover, can see inside so let oil soak overnight, it moves a couple degrees.

Solvent and blowing out no change.

Not sure how it goes together, and it was only 2 bucks so Experiment.

Can see a shaft like thing with a center in the end.

A center punch into the center, hold by hand the taper with point down, couple light taps with small hammer and it moves.

First the part with notches comes off.

Next the center shaft slides out.

Some crude and rust but intact.

It is made to service, good design sort of.

Cleaned most, then soaked in lye, yes, lye...it got all of the crud off and left clean metal.

A bit of stoning to center then the rollers on the bearing.

The main bearing stays in the taper part and center is inner bearing race.

There are roller bearings in black of the center for better leverage, great design.

At first it turned rough.

Stoed the center, better.

Stoned the rollers much better.

Used small knife to bind a roller then use that to scrape the outer race that we cannot get to.

After this, without any oil it turns real smooth with occasional feel of minor drag.

Packed it with Grease and good, real smooth.

For our hobby shop it will be fine.

The open end needs a plug, about 3/4 inch, metric, what size?

Just happen to have hub from international Fire truck that we will use for something else, looks close, wheel stud threads right in, so getting a bolt at the supply house for that.

Just need to find the cap...

LM5 - L5

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
e602d25ada3826e3e2cdc588d5060d89.jpg

Last edited:
Are you talking the end that goes into your tailstock? I had a couple live centers that never auto ejected because the overall lengths of them were too short so I made some custom end plugs for them. Much nicer to use.

View attachment 391745

View attachment 391747
wow, out of brass. Brass is so expensive right now. Looks great, I made mine out of mild steel. They don't look that nice.

wow, out of brass. Brass is so expensive right now. Looks great, I made mine out of mild steel. They don't look that nice.
I have an old stash of brass that I've had for decades so I haven't shopped for any recently but you guys are saying that even small bits are cost prohibitive?

EDIT: Ouch, just checked!

I have an old stash of brass that I've had for decades so I haven't shopped for any recently but you guys are saying that even small bits are cost prohibitive?

EDIT: Ouch, just checked!
Yup!

everything brass is $$$$. I have a stash I would love to melt down and get some raw material out of. But it is cheaper to buy until I build a foundry furnace, if I ever do get around to it.

edit: I am building a steady rest. And am building steel (mild steel) fingers, and putting brass tips on. My biggest stash of brass is undersized. So I will wind up using a way oversized round .. it hurts in the wallet.

Are you talking the end that goes into your tailstock? I had a couple live centers that never auto ejected because the overall lengths of them were too short so I made some custom end plugs for them. Much nicer to use.

View attachment 391745

View attachment 391747
I actually beed to make one of those for an ER collet chuck. I bout the chuck for my mill but it ended up being the Metric thread. I needed the 3/8.

Back