What Did You Buy Today?

Today i stopped by the flea/ tool market i did lots of walking but there wasn't too much to buy, i did bought this MT3 drill chuck, very beet up but still works and it has its key at the same vender i also bought that drill bit new all in 5$.
IMG_20190922_094432.jpg

Got me a trash can for the garage at the flea market. Surprisingly I've never had a trash can in my garage, just been using a plastic bag hanging from the bench.

Most of my trash in the garage are dirty shop towels. Rarely ever oil soaked enough where they are a fire hazard but this trash can is just for that.

Wasn't a steal but it's like new condition & it's made by Eagle, same Eagle that used to make oil cans like the ever so popular Eagle 66. They don't make em like this anymore, well not by Eagle. New ones are plastic. I'm happy.

Will , have 2 of these in the shop at work that never get used . Our rags are emptied nightly and these cans sit un-used . I can't tell you how many times I've moved them just to get them out of the way ! :grin: They'll most likely end up in the dumpster very soon , unless I intercept them first .

Picked up a 10-pc. pack of 60-grit 9" sanding discs for my Craftsman disc/belt sander. Gotta love Amazon, $13.33 delivered to my mailbox. My old discs were 35 years old and required contact cement to glue them to the 9" aluminum platen. PSA is so much nicer.

Also found an indicator stand and indicator at a yard sale. I don't go to many yard sales, but there was one next to my in-laws house, so made a quick get away for some shopping . . . The indicator stand is a new one on me. It's a Brown & Sharpe with a segmented magnetic base. The stack of plates are permanently magnetized; there's no ON/OFF knob. There's a clamp on the front that locks them into place. With the clamp undone, the plates are free to float so I guess you can make the stand fit to an oddball surface, then lock the plates in place. The Starrett indicator works great, now I just need to figure out how to get it switched to English. Paid $10 for the pair.

Bruce

10 60-grit sanding disc from Amazon for $13.33
20190920_135229.jpg

Starrett digital indicator and Brown and Sharpe indicator stand
20190920_135637.jpg
20190920_135755.jpg
20190920_135824.jpg
20190920_135836.jpg

Can’t let Bruce have all the fun....

Got this last week, not quite NOS but close. Extremely little use and everything is still nice and crisp. Second set of jaws fits but isn’t the exact serial match for chuck, so they run on the stiff side. Respectable runout on the face as well as the outside gripping jaws, so I’m pleased. Will fit the 618, the Craftsman of the same size, and the MF mill should I so desire. Made in England.

BDA79610-FC5F-4425-BCF1-6A0C2FFA8EB1.jpeg

D62A1952-BAFC-4AE0-B18C-8435F57B14D8.jpeg

-frank

The standard chuck on a TTS endmill holder was always a bit too long compared to the other tooling and sometimes required me to move the Z axis on my mill if I didn't plan for it right. So I gave Tormach my money for a 3/8" chuck and a JT2 tool holder. It's about 1.75" shorter than the old setup so I'm happy...I already have shorter drill bits to go with it.
chuck.jpg

Today i stopped by a tool/flea market just to see what there is, first thing to buy was this power washer brush for 1$ then i found a vender selling some taper drill bits and attachments most of them in terrible shape but those extended reducers wore a good deal at 10$ so i bought them. And last thing i bought was this big 4 jaw lathe chuck, by looking at the flange it may be original for my lathe, i'll have to remove my chuck to check which will be amazing i paid 35$ for it, also very cheap considering how much others are asking for them.
IMG_20190929_092500.jpgIMG_20190929_092634.jpgIMG_20190929_093045_1.jpgIMG_20190929_093058.jpgIMG_20190929_093116.jpg

^ that's a big chuck, must weigh a lot? what's the diameter?

Back