What Did You Buy Today?

I don't know how you made your calculation but from the pictures as you can see is hollow from the back side, and i managed to pick it up and down couple of times with my injured back it is probably less than half that. The lathe is not big by industrial standards but is no hobby machine, it almost toppled over a 3,5t forklift when i brought it home, i have written about it when i first joined this forum i'll put the link here : https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-member-from-kumanovo-macedonia-europe.60652/

So I got this new toy delivered. Piece of cake... I thought. I have a small oxy/acet "jewelers" torch that is a little too big for what I'm trying to accomplish. Well, too big for my clumbsy hands to work with. Even though I built a fuel gas system for Propane, the Oxygen in cylinders is a little hard to come by. As in, my tanks are grossly out of date for a hydro test. It's a "Smith" tool, supposedly well known in the jeweler business. I got mine from eBay. Cheaper that way...
1569903941198.png
So, I bought this Chinesium contraption that uses self made Oxy-Hydrogen fuel. A cool idea, making the fuel gas out of water.
1569904025413.png
It uses a low power mixture, 15%, of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH, lye, Drano) for power. Well, in my day, lye and/or Drano, were available at virtually any grocer. Not so these days. Everything is a "gel" to make it operate "better", and be safer to handle. I highly suspect a political connection here so won't take it any further. But I could use some insight into where it is still available, if it is.

Got a new non-US made slitting saw...comparing it to the used US saw the teeth are very pointy. Anyone know which design is better and why? my guess is the new saw will cut well at first but then the points will wear off quickly but since I'm new to slitting saws I have no idea.

1569901052986.png

Bought a Fisher Scientific Stereomaster on Ebay.
It works great, 2 lamps work perfect. I can see what I'm missing now.
Carbide tooling integrity, HSS edges, surface finish up close.
Did I reallly need one of these?
No, but I always wanted one and the price was not bad.
These pics are about the best I could do with my phone. It's a serrated knife edge. COOLscope1.JPGscope2.JPGscope3.JPG

I saw someone listing an old cantilever kennedy tool box on our local classifieds. It's a little dinged up, and chipped up a little bit. I was looking for a small cantilever tool box to put my fly fishing/tying vise and tools, but this turned out to be a little bigger than I thought. My wife says I have too many tool boxes, but this one couldn't hurt to have. It's a Kennedy 1017-336418 . I may need to just build a box for my fly tying stuff.

20190914_130241.jpg

20190914_130255.jpg

20190914_130302.jpg

I might use it for my 3D printer, soldering iron, and geeky stuff, but I'm not sure yet.
I have that same tool box. I bought mine back in the 1960's. It couldn't have cost much because I didn't have a lot of money back then. It is still going strong and I use it for my socket wrenches and other associated tools. I toted it down to Jackson MS on a Greyhound bus one time to bail my ex out when she stripped the splines on the transfer case shaft on her 4WD truck. It rarely moves nowadays and only a few inches at that. as it is too heavy to comfortably lift anymore.

So I got this new toy delivered. Piece of cake... I thought. I have a small oxy/acet "jewelers" torch that is a little too big for what I'm trying to accomplish. Well, too big for my clumbsy hands to work with. Even though I built a fuel gas system for Propane, the Oxygen in cylinders is a little hard to come by. As in, my tanks are grossly out of date for a hydro test. It's a "Smith" tool, supposedly well known in the jeweler business. I got mine from eBay. Cheaper that way...
View attachment 303067
So, I bought this Chinesium contraption that uses self made Oxy-Hydrogen fuel. A cool idea, making the fuel gas out of water.
View attachment 303068
It uses a low power mixture, 15%, of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH, lye, Drano) for power. Well, in my day, lye and/or Drano, were available at virtually any grocer. Not so these days. Everything is a "gel" to make it operate "better", and be safer to handle. I highly suspect a political connection here so won't take it any further. But I could use some insight into where it is still available, if it is.
I bought lye in the plumbing section of the local DIY last year. Not nearly as cheap as it used to be though. $6/lb. Lots of it on eBay but expensive. Walmart sells it as well at $5/lb., free delivery to store.

Bill, I have been toying with making my oxygen and possibly hydrogen for my torches. I have O/A tanks but they always seem to be empty when I need them. The supplier is in the middle of the city and it is a pain getting down there, not mention hauling tanks around in the back of a minivan.

I will really be interested in how well your new oxygen generator works.

View attachment 303067
View attachment 303068

Lowes:

Amazon also sells it.

Roy

Thanx Guys;
I'll look it up. Being stuck in a wheelchair is a pain in the wazoo!

Back