What Did You Buy Today?

Bill, I have been toying with making my oxygen and possibly hydrogen for my torches. I have O/A tanks but they always seem to be empty when I need them. The supplier is in the middle of the city and it is a pain getting down there, not mention hauling tanks around in the back of a minivan.

I will really be interested in how well your new oxygen generator works.

R J -The toy is just that, a toy to most people's perspective. Up front, the fuel gas(H2) and oxygen are not seperated. Basically a one hose machine. The other aspect of the whole idea is that... Think of me as one or two steps removed from a jeweler. I work with small model parts, H-O scale trains. The torch rig would not produce enough gas to do soldering on copper pipe, I suspect. Well, I don't expect it to, although I may try it sometime just to see.

Generating your own gasses through electrolysis is laudable, I personally know of a couple of fellows that use the idea for gasoline pick-ups. I don't keep track of what they're doing, but they have spoken of considerably improved milage. I suspect the same techniques could be used for torch gasses. The oxy and H2 would need to be held seperate and in considerably higher quantity (and explosivity) to do any real work. The toy I'm trying is actually sold to "polish" cut edges on acrylic sheets. I don't expect much real use for anything larger than my models.

I have an Oxy Acet rig, small but good for about 1 inch, I think. And the usual Butane / Propane plumber's torches, including a "TurboTorch". And, of course, the jeweler's torch that I have adapted to Propane. But since the last stroke(6) I'm stuck in the chair and don't pursue the "heavy" work any more. That's why my O2 tank got timed out. I considered a shifty deal with a local blacksmith, but never pursued it. He was willing, I just didn't feel right burning the local supplier.

Thanks Bill

I wouldn't like the idea of the mixed gases. To me that would be a recipe for disaster.

I have done some calculations as to generation rate and it doesn't seem practical to generate on demand. Alternatively, the thought was to generate by electrolysis and compress the oxygen to around 200 psi using something like a the 20 lb. L.P. tank.

It uses a low power mixture, 15%, of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH, lye, Drano) for power. Well, in my day, lye and/or Drano, were available at virtually any grocer. Not so these days. Everything is a "gel" to make it operate "better", and be safer to handle. I highly suspect a political connection here so won't take it any further. But I could use some insight into where it is still available, if it is.
Sounds like you got some options going already. Other possibilities - if there's a DIY soap store near you, you can probably find lye there. Don't spend extra for "food grade" or "laboratory grade." The cheapest will do the job. Here are a couple Amazon sellers:
Yes, the first is "food grade," but the price is the same.

By the way, you can substitute potassium hydroxide. Generally more expensive, but maybe you can find a bargain. Here's two Amazon sources:

I wouldn't like the idea of the mixed gases. To me that would be a recipe for disaster.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDITED, with afterthoughts
And me with a wood frame structure for a shop. Definately work outside until I have a handle on this thing.
It strikes me that friend Larry uses a variable output device similar to an old timey acetylene generator, where the "deeper" the process goes the higher the output. I'm not sure if such a control would satisfy your "on demand" needs, but it does work on his pick-up. Ford 300 six, carburated.
BTW; I already ordered a two pound sack. Food grade but that's what it took to get a large quantity. Soap, huh, I should have known that, just don't think as clear as I once did.

Last edited:
These pics are about the best I could do with my phone.
Jeff,
Obviously you need to get a stereo zoom scope with a camera mount and leave that one on the free table!;)

Nice score!

So, I bought this Chinesium contraption that uses self made Oxy-Hydrogen fuel. A cool idea, making the fuel gas out of water.
It uses a low power mixture, 15%, of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH, lye, Drano) for power. Well, in my day, lye and/or Drano, were available at virtually any grocer. Not so these days. Everything is a "gel" to make it operate "better", and be safer to handle. I highly suspect a political connection here so won't take it any further. But I could use some insight into where it is still available, if it is.

Do you know anyone who works at a local water or waste water plant? We use it for various purposes, odor control / disinfection being a couple.

Well I wouldn't say that I had a great day at an auction today. There was supposed to be a South Bend heavy 10 and some tooling up for auction. It all got sold prior to the auction. I was interested in the tooling There was some other stuff like bench grinders and belt sanders, drill presses, etc. Nothing worth dragging home. But I didn't come away empty handed. One of the things on my shopping list to pick up on my way home was gas for my chainsaws. Didn't have to make that stop. Got a 5 gallon jug filled with gas for $10. I needed a new 5 gallon jug and the gas was an added bonus.

IMG_3768.JPG

I had a great day at the auction. Scientific approach, precision execution!
Congrats! Is it just me or WA seems a bit like Michigan where you can find great deals on machining equipment. Michigan we all know has had a lot of influence from the auto manufacturers so it makes sense that there's a lot of machining equipment there but WA surprises me. I need to move there lol

Back