What Did You Buy Today?

My 1" vise arrived...even in the pic I took with a quarter it's hard to get a true size of it but it's not much bigger than a pack of Wrigley's gum. I have no idea how useful it'll be and may be a 2" one would've been a better buy but it's so cute I almost want to keep it on my desk rather than put it to use lol

1571539608078.png

My 1" vise arrived...even in the pic I took with a quarter it's hard to get a true size of it but it's not much bigger than a pack of Wrigley's gum. I have no idea how useful it'll be and may be a 2" one would've been a better buy but it's so cute I almost want to keep it on my desk rather than put it to use lol

View attachment 304254

I know what you mean. Even though I knew what I was buying I didn't realize the size until I received mine. I don't use it that often but it does come in handy. I use it when I need to clamp something small & change orientation.

(This is not what I meant above, I was just too lazy to set this part up a different way for just 2 quick cuts)
20190226_160514.jpg

I know what you mean. Even though I knew what I was buying I didn't realize the size until I received mine. I don't use it that often but it does come in handy. I use it when I need to clamp something small & change orientation.

(This is not what I meant above, I was just too lazy to set this part up a different way for just 2 quick cuts)

Cool! I ended up using it today for a small piece already :encourage:

1571623219115.png

I picked up my order of 60 lbs. of aluminum plate from Howard Precision Metals (https://www.howardprecision.com/random-rack) today. Nice looking stuff and a bargain at $1/lb.

I just got my quote from Howard Precision on the Buck a Pound sale. I had them quote 70 pounds of aluminum. They are charging me $3.07 a pound. Is this a scam or did I misunderstand something?
Robert

I just got my quote from Howard Precision on the Buck a Pound sale. I had them quote 70 pounds of aluminum. They are charging me $3.07 a pound. Is this a scam or did I misunderstand something?
Robert

I just checked their website and the offer is still on. The offer is only for plate aluminum. In my first RFQ, I had some extruded stock which was $2.20/lb. The quote that you receive includes shipping If I had it shipped, it would have been $1.56/lb. I picked my order up and it was $1.00/lb. Keep in mind that there is a 70 lb limit on shipping flat rate. If you are at 70 lbs, the order will be shipped by a more costly method. They also had done some substitutions, based on what was actually at hand when the order was executed. They contacted me to make sure that it was OK with me but that could push an order over the 70 lb. threshold.

I misspoke earlier. The weight was 42 pounds and the quoted price was $128. I'm not sure how that makes sense. The material all shows $3.07/ lb. The quote does not have a line item for shipping. I have replied with a question. I will let you know how it works out. If shipping is twice the cost of the material I am out.
Robert

Duh...I put some extrusions on my list without realizing. That's why the price was higher. Looks like the sale is mostly on MIC 6. Not sure what its like to work with that. Gummy I am told...
Robert

Last edited:
Back