What Did You Buy Today?

It is magnetic so then some type of 400 series which from my understanding tends to be easier to machine than most 300s. No plans for it just now but it was a nice size and at $1/lb not a huge risk if it just becomes a door stop.

mystery stainless.jpg

It is magnetic so then some type of 400 series which from my understanding tends to be easier to machine than most 300s. No plans for it just now but it was a nice size and at $1/lb not a huge risk if it just becomes a door stop.

View attachment 407902
Sometimes you just need a Big Heavy Thing, and now you have one!

300 series is non-magnetic as stated above because it contains no iron , thus it can't be hardened . 400 series and alloys containing iron are magnetic . Pretty simple . :)
300-series stainless steels definitely contain iron. For example, 316SS is <0.7% C, 17.5% Cr, 2.2% Mo, 11.5% Ni, and the remaining ~65% is iron, although it is common for composition charts to omit the iron (since steels are primary iron by definition). They are not magnetic or hardenable by heat-treating due to their face-centered cubic (austenitic) crystal structure.

400-series stainless steels are magnetic since they have a different crystal structure (body-centered cubic).

I thought all steel contains Iron.

Nickel isn't magnetic and from what I've read it's the main alloying element for stainless steel.

I'm ready to be wrong but metallurgy is a science after all, isn't it....

John

Back