What Did You Buy Today?

Not a big fan of ethenol over here on the east coast . It chews up any small engine you put it in . I drive from Md up to Pa to buy the un-ethenaled 93 octain out of the pump for 30 cents more than regular here in Md . That 190 proof caught my eye though , sounds good around a bonfire ! :grin:

That's the thing that passes me off. They've been putting it in our gasoline here for yrs yet they ban the sale of it. Acetone has a higher VOC than these two alcohols yet we can still buy acetone. I better shut my mouth otherwise I may have to stock up on acetone too.

Intersting... They also make conical ones:

1574271963776.png

I don't see why one couldn't machine this out of aluminum and make your own. I guess labeling all the sizes would be too painful.
Robert

I saw those too. Didn't like them cause they're bulky. They had 3 sizes, largest one goes up to 5-5/8" & costs almost $60. I suppose those would be more useful if you used it daily & kept it on the bench.

The one I chose goes up to 13" & only costs $25. Much more compact & easy to store.

Re the angle gauge above, why would it have a 14.5 degree option? Why would that be a common choice? (The other values all divide into 360 evenly.)

Craig

Re the angle gauge above, why would it have a 14.5 degree option? Why would that be a common choice? (The other values all divide into 360 evenly.)

Craig
My brain immediately went to a 14.5 degree pressure angle on old machinery gears.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Few recent additions to my shop. First is a Lufkin groove micrometer bought at an antique shop for $20.

Saw a great deal on eBay for a Millfast Products 4-button control. I plan on making a full enclosure for my Tormach 1100 next year which will make the machine controls really inconvenient to reach. Tormach sells a kit to move the controls to an external box, but it eliminates the manual control switches for the spindle and coolant. The Millfast control box will give me a second E-stop wherever I mount the box, plus some of the keyboard quick-keys to well. Currently the keyboard gives me a second E-stop if I can find the ESC key on the keyboard. Gonna feel a lot more comfortable with a big red button. Paid $100 for the controller.

Also found a good deal on some brand new Nicholson 4" die files. Couldn't pass up the price at $30 shipped. I've seen these go for over $10 each on eBay. Not as good a deal as Susan of SF recently snagged, but I'm happy with $3 each.

Picked up some 5/8" brass rounds for an Erector set I reproduce. There's about 5' in total length, cost $35 shipped.

Lastly, a good selection of roll-form taps. I have dozens if not hundreds of spiral point and spiral flute taps, but have never used a roll form tap. I understand they are more robust than conventional taps, especially for power tapping. They don't cut threads, my understanding is they more emboss or press the thread into the material. They require different tap drills than conventional taps, so new charts will be headed to the shop.

Bruce

20191106_163752.jpg
20191106_163853.jpg

20191112_190138.jpg

20191116_135815.jpg
20191116_135824.jpg

20191123_134057.jpg

20191123_134225.jpg

Back