[4]

What Did You Buy Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Ordered some off eBay from seller "zimi-hk", 20 inserts for $16 including shipping. I've had really good luck with this eBay seller, probably have the inserts by 1/20/2019.

Thanks again for the tip,

Bruce
Funny that’s where I get most of mine same seller. Small world

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Man usps is on my Sh— list they’re not doing to good this month. Boxed looks like it was throw out the truck.
536172EF-FFE2-409F-B4B3-1490C7E66740.jpeg
Took advantage of the sale from all industrial tool. Stocked up on some bxa and axa tool holders for the lathes. Got a mt2 holder for a drill chuck to mount on the carriage. And for some reason I can’t find my 5/8 5c collet so I picked one of them up also. IMO these are the nicest finished holders out of all the imports. They don’t say China on them too.
7C86FC33-01F1-49FA-9B01-345A0BFFF192.jpeg

DaveInHouston

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Don't remember if there is an existing thread like this. Many of you guys like to share your scores so let's try a new ongoing thread...

If your here chances are you love tools & always love to get new ones. This thread is not necessarily for gloating (well maybe) but you can if you want but expect to get a "you suck" compliment!

So what did you buy for the shop today (or recently)? No tool too small or too big, machines, equipment, inexpensive, expensive, good deal or not, whatever. All that matters is if you'd like to share your latest acquisition that put a smile on your face, post 'em up! And you know the drill, we love to see photos!
I dragged this home the other day. The old gentleman (older than me!) had owned it for thirty years and used it occasionally as a wood lathe to make toys. It seems to be in good shape other than needing a cleanup and tuneup. Got a few tools and a huge amount of gears. Some of the extra gears are steel and I assume don’t belong to the lathe. Serial number on lathe is 11998 S, but I have no idea when it was made.
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

mattthemuppet2

Ordered some off eBay from seller "zimi-hk", 20 inserts for $16 including shipping. I've had really good luck with this eBay seller, probably have the inserts by 1/20/2019.

Bruce
nice, I've bought from them before too. I've found the "Korloy" ones to be a little more robust than the unbranded ones I got from Banggood.

lovely looking lathe Dave, 10" Atlas? Feel free to come say hi if you're ever in the area :)

DaveInHouston

I dragged this home the other day. The old gentleman (older than me!) had owned it for thirty years and used it occasionally as a wood lathe to make toys. It seems to be in good shape other than needing a cleanup and tuneup. Got a few tools and a huge amount of gears. Some of the extra gears are steel and I assume don’t belong to the lathe. Serial number on lathe is 11998 S, but I have no idea when it was made.
Thanks,
Dave
Here are the gears that came with the lathe.....40 in all. The ones on the left (25 if I can count) are Zamak? But in good shape. The ones on the right (15 or so) are cast or steel (a magnet sticks to them) but I don’t know what they go to. They all are marked “Boston GB - 90” or whatever the tooth count is. Very nice gears and appear unused.

Attachments

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Do the gears from the two sets inter-mate? If so, you've got some bodacious threading capability!

DaveInHouston

Do the gears from the two sets inter-mate? If so, you've got some bodacious threading capability!
I haven’t checked each and every gear, but the ones I checked did seem to mesh properly.

Bamban

Active User

Bruce
zimi-hk is my preferred supplier as well. To stock up, I bought a pack of inserts every month last year from them, mainly DCGTs and CCGTs. I use these on SS 416R. I have taken 0.050 DOC with the CCGT 32.51 on the newly belted SBL13 with no issues. Definitely no issues in the gear head 1236. The 32.52 for finishing.

BenW

Registered
Sandvik A08K-SCLPR 06-R new in box with 10 seco ccmt inserts, 30$. Now I gotta make a holder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hman

Active User
Thanks! Ordered the ones that are still available.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Went to the woodworking show today and ended up with a 1955 Starrett catalog, a B&S square and Craftsman calipers. The catalog is a great reference.

I could keep you going for WEEKS Dan !! :D

mmcmdl

Staff member
LOL , no shop . Just the remains of one . I'm bringing the SB home tomorrow and will be moving some things tomorrow all day . No rain for once ! :)

rwm

Active User
Can anybody recommend a good source for a transfer punch set? I have a cheap import set but I was a quality set. Thanks
Robert

mmcmdl

Staff member
Got the SB heavy 10 home yesterday . Not sure just yet if it gets kept or parted out . The bed is worn , I would have to re-power it along with purchasing smaller tooling . I know why they named it heavy 10 now , it's heavy and also awkward ! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

mmcmdl

Staff member
All doors removed , motor out , tailstock off , chuck off , guards removed , electrical wires removed . Got something accomplished today ! :grin:

Surprman

Active User
Registered
I went to a surplus store last week and didn’t find anything great, but came across two assemblies with some Teflon peices on them. They were only $3 each so I figured I would buy them to have some Teflon stock in case I ever needed it. I took the assemblies apart, thinking the shafts were aluminum but they seemed too heavy and looked tarnished. I put some Chlorox on them and they readily tarnished. Reading a bit more on testing for silver I came across a test using ice. Silver has a very high thermal conductivity (the highest of all metals I think). When I put ice on the shaft (that was at room temperature) it was like it was a hot poker and sunk right into the ice.

Pretty sure I got some high silver content alloy. Cool.

I wish I knew what the application was for these assemblies.

Rick

Attachments

hman

Active User
I'd offer a wild-a$$ guess that these were used as high current feedthroughs for a vacuum system, or possibly some kind of chemical bath. That's based on what looks like o-ring grooves in the shank and face. How big are these things?

Surprman

Active User
Registered
I'd offer a wild-a$$ guess that these were used as high current feedthroughs for a vacuum system, or possibly some kind of chemical bath. That's based on what looks like o-ring grooves in the shank and face. How big are these things?
Could be a high current application. The shafts are about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Got the SB heavy 10 home yesterday . Not sure just yet if it gets kept or parted out . The bed is worn , I would have to re-power it along with purchasing smaller tooling . I know why they named it heavy 10 now , it's heavy and also awkward ! :)
VERY NICE MACHINE! The heavy 10's that have beds 4' or longer are rare.

[6]
[5] [7]