What Did You Buy Today?

Not that I need it, but.......

Not something I purchased but something I scored free of charge. The guys at work were cleaning out under the benches and I saved these from the scrap bin. Four pieces of one inch plate 2 3/4" x 4 1/2". Saw cut, not flame cut. Not sure what I will use them for. Ideas? One would make a nice bench dog. also random shaped piece of 1" plate.20220602_204235.jpg
20220602_204300.jpg

I've got a Holdridge 4-D Radii cutter, but it's just too big for my lathe. I'd have to remove the compound, make an adapter, etc., etc. Not worth the hassle.

So I've been on the lookout for the smaller 3-D, and finally found one for a reasonable price!! Looks like it's nearly new.

Related note --- Anyone interested in buying my 4-D? I'll post it on the Buy/Sell section here first, then over to eBay if there isn't interest.

View attachment 408473
What does it fit ?

Not something I purchased but something I scored free of charge. The guys at work were cleaning out under the benches and I saved these from the scrap bin. Four pieces of one inch plate 2 3/4" x 4 1/2". Saw cut, not flame cut. Not sure what I will use them for. Ideas? One would make a nice bench dog. also random shaped piece of 1" plate.View attachment 408816
View attachment 408817
Make the steel into mini toe clamps.

Set them aside until that project comes to mind. They certainly won't devalue over time given the current conditions.

More "stuff" I don't really need, but. . .
The first is a grinder stand/fixture, from Sears. I hava a homade version on a (slow) wet wheel grinder. This thing looks like it will work on a high speed grinder. Cheaply made (aluminium) but a Craftsman so plausable. I'll try it out once I find the instruction sheet.
SharpFixture.jpg
The other is a questionable bulk buy of "ship augers", wood bits. My father called them ship augers so I do too. There are over a hundred in all, some in pretty good shape, some in sore need of TLC, and some just down right questionable. I have a good supply of the "normal" sizes already, but the starting price was good and I didn't bid $0.50 over the asking price. Some things you just don't want to see go out as scrap iron. Brings to mind what a fellow thought of an expandable drill for doing locksets. The best he could come up with was a can opener. . .
ShipAugers.jpg

More "stuff" I don't really need, but. . .
The first is a grinder stand/fixture, from Sears. I hava a homade version on a (slow) wet wheel grinder. This thing looks like it will work on a high speed grinder. Cheaply made (aluminium) but a Craftsman so plausable. I'll try it out once I find the instruction sheet.
SharpFixture.jpg
I have one of these Bill . I thought it was used for sharpening chisels . :big grin:

The auger bits . I have quite a few of these also down in the basement . I was thinking of sawing off the square drive to use in a drill press or hand drill . I think I have 1 or 4 of the old time swivel drills though . :)

The other is a questionable bulk buy of "ship augers", wood bits. My father called them ship augers so I do too. There are over a hundred in all, some in pretty good shape, some in sore need of TLC, and some just down right questionable. I have a good supply of the "normal" sizes already, but the starting price was good and I didn't bid $0.50 over the asking price. Some things you just don't want to see go out as scrap iron. Brings to mind what a fellow thought of an expandable drill for doing locksets. The best he could come up with was a can opener. . .
View attachment 408821
Over the past few years, I've built a couple of benches out of hardwood and various species of mystery wood. The thing they had in common was slabby, thick pieces. I wanted to experience a hand build (no power tools) of this type of bench. I put together one unit for my Atlas 10" lathe and another was a combination Nicholson/Roubo style wood working bench. Last thing to do is flatten that with a scrub plane and then finish flat.

Point being, I used the augers with a hand brace like in your photos. My immediate observation was, holy crap, I've never drilled such a perfect hole. My second observation was, holy crap, this is a lot of work. The combination of the two made for an extremely satisfying experience.

edit: I should add, that the augers are fine to use so long as they are straight and not bent. And they are fairly easy to sharpen - another satisfying experience.

Back