What Did You Buy Today?

More "stuff" I don't really need, but. . .
The first is a grinder stand/fixture, from Sears. I hava a homade version on a (slow) wet wheel grinder. This thing looks like it will work on a high speed grinder. Cheaply made (aluminium) but a Craftsman so plausable. I'll try it out once I find the instruction sheet.
View attachment 408822
The other is a questionable bulk buy of "ship augers", wood bits. My father called them ship augers so I do too. There are over a hundred in all, some in pretty good shape, some in sore need of TLC, and some just down right questionable. I have a good supply of the "normal" sizes already, but the starting price was good and I didn't bid $0.50 over the asking price. Some things you just don't want to see go out as scrap iron. Brings to mind what a fellow thought of an expandable drill for doing locksets. The best he could come up with was a can opener. . .
View attachment 408821
those grinding jigs work nice for chisels and plane blades on a slow speed wet stone.

Over the past few years, I've built a couple of benches out of hardwood and various species of mystery wood. The thing they had in common was slabby, thick pieces. I wanted to experience a hand build (no power tools) of this type of bench. I put together one unit for my Atlas 10" lathe and another was a combination Nicholson/Roubo style wood working bench. Last thing to do is flatten that with a scrub plane and then finish flat.

Point being, I used the augers with a hand brace like in your photos. My immediate observation was, holy crap, I've never drilled such a perfect hole. My second observation was, holy crap, this is a lot of work. The combination of the two made for an extremely satisfying experience.

edit: I should add, that the augers are fine to use so long as they are straight and not bent. And they are fairly easy to sharpen - another satisfying experience.
Any chance you took photos of that bench for the Atlas? If you did, share them!

Any chance you took photos of that bench for the Atlas? If you did, share them!

Here is a photo album for the wood working bench...

Forgot about this bench for the Atlas Mill...

And after searching...realizing I don't have any real good photos of the Atlas lathe bench build. I'll have to add more to this album sometime...

Bryan, you a leftie too? Damn you worked hard ripping that slab with a short crosscut saw.
Nice work... :)

Here is a photo album for the wood working bench...

Forgot about this bench for the Atlas Mill...

And after searching...realizing I don't have any real good photos of the Atlas lathe bench build. I'll have to add more to this album sometime...
Some real nice work there.

Growing up that manual tools was all I had. You learn a healthy dose of respect for our forefathers and what they produced with simple tools. Had a set of bits and brace. Was my fathers, but someone else took a liking to it. Would love to have another set. They sure have become expensive these days. Especially when they add the term "Vintage" or "Collectable". Makes me feel old.

Some real nice work there.

Growing up that manual tools was all I had. You learn a healthy dose of respect for our forefathers and what they produced with simple tools. Had a set of bits and brace. Was my fathers, but someone else took a liking to it. Would love to have another set. They sure have become expensive these days. Especially when they add the term "Vintage" or "Collectable". Makes me feel old.
I agree.
I was doing a lot of woodworking before machinist equip came in. I find I can do very accurate work with hand tools. I knife all my cuts, and my saw follows it. Of course I am not talking a bench, but fine work. A hand router. I have a cheap dovetail machine, used it once.. from then on all my dovetails were cut by hand. I am not in a rush, and love showing off hand made dovetails. And there are dovetails that a router (electric) won't cut.
Big honking ones.

Being a machinist has upped my woodworking. I do somethings differently, and I appreciate both.. But wood has a beauty that metal doesn't usually...

edit: I should add, that the augers are fine to use so long as they are straight and not bent. And they are fairly easy to sharpen - another satisfying experience.
Some of my augers have been "bowed", not bent, they just don't run true. Especially those that have been cut down for use in a power drill. A lot of "old work" on old houses where the augers do better than paddle bits. I have trued some on a bench, it's not all that hard. Easier than trueing a shaft. The biggest problem with old work is when the auger hits a nail. The spur is as, or more, important than the cutting edge and usually takes the brunt of a nail. The 5/8" auger is usually what I use for electrical work. The gimlet can be reshaped if the time is taken. And lots of patience. . . Those 4 inch files are useful for more than just model building. . .

I wish I had had time to do fine woodwork. Just like with machine work, when I make something, it's because I need it NOW. No time to do a pretty job. I keep telling myself that "someday" I'll build some fancy wood toolboxes. Lots of wood (red oak, mahogany, ebony, walnut) flooring that can be milled down to make the parts. When I am no longer, at least Wife does occasional woodwork too, so the piles out in the barn don't become more firewood. That's the reality of the situation, much as I dislike it.

Some of my augers have been "bowed", not bent, they just don't run true. Especially those that have been cut down for use in a power drill. A lot of "old work" on old houses where the augers do better than paddle bits. I have trued some on a bench, it's not all that hard. Easier than trueing a shaft. The biggest problem with old work is when the auger hits a nail. The spur is as, or more, important than the cutting edge and usually takes the brunt of a nail. The 5/8" auger is usually what I use for electrical work. The gimlet can be reshaped if the time is taken. And lots of patience. . . Those 4 inch files are useful for more than just model building. . .

I wish I had had time to do fine woodwork. Just like with machine work, when I make something, it's because I need it NOW. No time to do a pretty job. I keep telling myself that "someday" I'll build some fancy wood toolboxes. Lots of wood (red oak, mahogany, ebony, walnut) flooring that can be milled down to make the parts. When I am no longer, at least Wife does occasional woodwork too, so the piles out in the barn don't become more firewood. That's the reality of the situation, much as I dislike it.

also for old work, the wood gets harder. Old wood was harder to begin with, because of the number of rings, but the lignum definitely hardens quite a bit over time.

Got these at an estate sale this morning just down the road. Paid $30 for both.

Not sure if I want to keep the intake/carb or not. I only have one engine with a carb and it's a 454. This carb is only a 650 so not really big enough.

20220603_103347.jpg

Last edited:
Back