What Did You Buy Today?

No photo, although I probably could round one up if required. 3X 1/4-36 taps, spiral point. I have a number of 40 TPI taps, for archaic mechanical adjustments. 0.025 per turn, yada, yada, yada. So what purpose would a 36 TPI serve? I am bad to stash "nonstandard" tooling of any sort. And these taps were very cheap, cost as much or more to mail 'em than the taps cost. Good quality, US made, sharp, clean, well worth the price. But what the #e!! are they for? Way too large for Heli-coils. . . And not likely adjustment screws. So where/what would they fit?

Just ordered this yesterday. Going to try to convert it for Z axis use on my Series 1 Bridgeport. Figured it's worth a shot for the money.

Funny, I just ordered the same snap ring set. Needed some for my sliding garage door trolley setup.

fo​

AL-310S X-AXIS Power Feed Milling Machine 110V 450in-lb continuous Vari Speeds
$136.56Unit price $136.56
Item number:202049892525
Returns accepted through Jul 16, 2022.
Contact seller
Please start a thread on the installation.
I have been considering one for my Jet JTM-2 and I believe this same model should fit it as well.
Thanks!

Last edited:
No photo, although I probably could round one up if required. 3X 1/4-36 taps, spiral point. I have a number of 40 TPI taps, for archaic mechanical adjustments. 0.025 per turn, yada, yada, yada. So what purpose would a 36 TPI serve? I am bad to stash "nonstandard" tooling of any sort. And these taps were very cheap, cost as much or more to mail 'em than the taps cost. Good quality, US made, sharp, clean, well worth the price. But what the #e!! are they for? Way too large for Heli-coils. . . And not likely adjustment screws. So where/what would they fit?

Couldn't tell you where 1/4-36 would be used.

Only place I have seen 36 tpi was on some 8-36 long screws holding an electric motor case together. Was a US Navy motor with a gear head. Wanted to replace the screws, but couldn't find any replacements. No one stocks 8-36 at 4" length. The length is from memory, so it may be faulty, but I searched high and low for those screws. Ended up cleaning up the threads and reusing the screws, because that was the only reasonable option.

Finally pulled the trigger on a ratchet leverage arbor press. Went with a 3-Ton.

Arbor press.jpeg

I really do not care for the 1-Ton that I have... just does not feel like it has the punch to do any meaningful work...

IMG_6225.jpeg

Truth is, I always wanted a ratchet one... figured, knowing how disappointed I was with the 1-Ton, that I would go for something with more punch...

I will have to repaint it when it gets here... of course... hahahahahahaha

Just ordered this yesterday. Going to try to convert it for Z axis use on my Series 1 Bridgeport. Figured it's worth a shot for the money.

Funny, I just ordered the same snap ring set. Needed some for my sliding garage door trolley setup.

fo​

$136.56Unit price $136.56
Item number:202049892525
Returns accepted through Jul 16, 2022.
Contact seller
After owning a Bridgeport with the crank handle on the knee and now owning a Sharp mill with the Z and X power feed,
I’ll never go back.
We are constantly adjusting knee height.

Hope it works out fomoco.

After owning a Bridgeport with the crank handle on the knee and now owning a Sharp mill with the Z and X power feed,
I’ll never go back.

I agree... that is the best modification I made to my milling machine... but I paid $$$ dearly for it... yikes.

The amount of times I have to lower the knee for changing cutters, or adjusting for depth... insane... best mod made ever!

So if @FOMOGO can do it for cheap... man, I just do not want to know!! :p:D

Finally pulled the trigger on a ratchet leverage arbor press. Went with a 3-Ton.

View attachment 409670

I really do not care for the 1-Ton that I have... just does not feel like it has the punch to do any meaningful work...

View attachment 409671

Truth is, I always wanted a ratchet one... figured, knowing how disappointed I was with the 1-Ton, that I would go for something with more punch...

I will have to repaint it when it gets here... of course... hahahahahahaha
The big problem with the small presses is the limited working range.
Your average broach is 11” long

I’ll never go back.

+1 on the knee power feed. My BP is 2-axis CNC with readouts on the X/Y, nothing on the Z. I bought a single-axis DRO for the knee and stopped tramming the scale after the first cycle of up/down. One turn for 0.1" in the Z got old really fast when tramming a 16" travel scale (150 turns to move 15"). Mine is a 150 ft. lb. Asong unit from All-Industrial Tool supply for under $350.

Bruce

+1 on the knee power feed. My BP is 2-axis CNC with readouts on the X/Y, nothing on the Z. I bought a single-axis DRO for the knee and stopped tramming the scale after the first cycle of up/down. One turn for 0.1" in the Z got old really fast when tramming a 16" travel scale (150 turns to move 15"). Mine is a 150 ft. lb. Asong unit from All-Industrial Tool supply for under $350.

Bruce
On a posit note, you could give up your gym membership with the crank handle :)

Back