What Did You Buy Today?

And here it is in it’s spot across from the lathe.

1C572E94-E828-4529-9F34-1EDEAC0B480B.jpeg

Don't think I could fit anything bigger in there and still pull the motorcycle in at night. Paid $850 from a guy who used it for building bicycle frames, he still has another one if he wants to keep doing it.

Bonus, he's an accomplished TIG weldor and just accepted a job offer from the same company I work for. Will be starting it's own thread here soon since I have plenty of ideas on improvements I'd like to make but for now I'm stoked to have this machine with so little wear.

John

Last edited:
OK, so this stuff came Friday, not today:

20220701 What Did I Buy.jpeg
Most of the hardware is my periodic project & stock order from Bolt Depot, but the couple of items along the top (plus some 10-32 x 3/8-16 EZ-Lok inserts) came from my similarly periodic McMaster order: since I was ordering from McM I checked my wish list and picked up a spare File Card/Brush (learned about file brushes from Guy Lautard) and a "low vibration" 1/2" shank x 1/2"Ø hole slitting saw arbor (Sierra American SA-500; remarkably $20 less than from Penn Tool!). The photo was taken with my Nikon D5100 and my new (also delivered Friday by Amazon) Ring Flash:

20220701 More Stuff.jpeg
I've been meaning to get a ring light to improve the quality of my project documentation photos, and had been looking at the $25 – $35 LED lamps, but this one popped up in my search — a real TTL ring flash (which is why the connecting cord is huge). Yes, my iPhone 6s takes adequate photos, and the 5100 with a 35–55 zoom does a very good job, but photo-friendly lighting around the mill can be difficult. The ring flash was a good deal at $90, and it does a great job: color rendering is almost perfect in comparison to the iPhone photo which looks good, but the LED shop lights wash out the true color of the cork board.

A handful of different projects: machinist jacks, blanking off some unused mounting holes in my mill’s column, brass/tipped set screws to secure a solid carbide boring bar, 10-32 clamping hardware for fixture plates, low-profile SHCS for new bellows on the mill and a host of others & stock.

Or did you mean, "Where did I put it all?" Right now, everything is still in the nicely labeled bags that Bolt Depot uses. Eventually, those items that don't get used in the projects they were purchased for will be stowed away in the stack of boxes:

IMG_4192.JPG

Some of your projects sound interesting and fun. Do you post about them?

picked up a 4" vice for the mill. Nothing fancy, just an ebay special.

Also learned I'm never ordering anything from an "India" seller again. Not that the stuff is total junk, but they shipped it courier (when they said standard shipping) which means you get dinged or "brokerage fees" and shortly after my last "India" purchase, I started getting bombarded with spam mail.

The spam may not be linked to the purchase, but it's awfully suspicious that I was not getting any spam at all before and after the purchase my inbox just starts getting flooded....

The Noga's I ordered a while back came in the other day. Very nice quality compared to some of the no-name ones I have. I would say just the mag base is worth the $25 a piece that I paid for them. Here is a pic of three Noga's/ Nogi? lined up on the mill. It's the one in the center. Thanks again to the member that posted the sale. Mike

IMG_20220701_153223413_HDR.jpg

Got a chance to visit @mmcmdl and bring home an arbor press stand, and some miscellaneous pieces of 80/20. The arbor stand is made of stainless and will be great for my use. I have enough 80/20 to make up a small table for another use. Was fun visiting Dave and his collection of stuff! I was most fortunate not to be driving a large vehicle, nor towing a trailer, otherwise I would have had to make a new addition to my house! He had some nice machines there. The ride back took me through a different way, that was more rural, which was a lot nicer than the ride on I-95. The last time I had been through that general area was around 1975. Was great to see it again.
PXL_20220703_214920440.jpg
True to my word, I left room for my wife and her bags to get home. Won't have to strap her to the roof - she was worried, I get carried away sometimes :grin:

Back