What Did You Buy Today?

Well I lost a $100.00 today, but picked up some goodies in the deal.... End mill, center drills, rotary table, mill attachment hardware, cutting oil.. Free cart and fire extinguisher too.
View attachment 412869
View attachment 412867View attachment 412868
View attachment 412859View attachment 412860View attachment 412862View attachment 412861View attachment 412863View attachment 412864View attachment 412865View attachment 412866

Holy Cow that's a haul for sure. Congratulations!

I was impressed that the blade was accurate to within .001", AND the cut looked like it had been done in a milling machine.
Maybe it is because your saw pivots to make the cut and mine travels vertically on dovetails, BUT the blade on your saw is rotating toward the fence & mine rotates away. The advantage of rotating away is that any cutoff piece simply falls forward (toward the operator) and so will not bind up in the fence opening. The blade on my saw is turning quite slowly so it does not throw small cutoffs. It might be worth checking the operating manual to be sure your blade is on the correct rotational direction. A small cutoff binding in the fence opening could bend the blade!

Maybe it is because your saw pivots to make the cut and mine travels vertically on dovetails, BUT the blade on your saw is rotating toward the fence & mine rotates away. The advantage of rotating away is that any cutoff piece simply falls forward (toward the operator) and so will not bind up in the fence opening. The blade on my saw is turning quite slowly so it does not throw small cutoffs. It might be worth checking the operating manual to be sure your blade is on the correct rotational direction. A small cutoff binding in the fence opening could bend the blade!
Even with the blade rotating toward the fence I haven't had problems with small pieces binding up. At this time there is about 3/8" of space between the half of the vise that holds the raw stock and the half that holds the finished piece. The jaws on the vise can be adjusted close enough to allow only enough room for the blade to pass or can be opened as wide as 2" to allow the blade to slit the stock. The head will rotate 45* to the left and 90* to the right. The vise itself is on a slide so it can be repositioned forward or to the rear for cutting angles on larger stock or slitting. There is also an adjustable attachment that fits on the raw stock half of the vise that can be positioned to hold the finished piece after it's been cut. I haven't installed the arm that holds the finished stock yet.

The blade is rotating in the correct direction. On this machine there's an arrow embossed on the blade guard showing the direction of rotation. There's also an arrow on each of the blades showing the direction of rotation. The machine has infinitely variable speed from 24 rpm to 120 rpm. It has flood coolant to keep the swarf out of the kerf. The only downside so far is that the swarf just piles up around the vise and eventually falls into the coolant return trough. There are screens and filters in the return trough to keep the swarf from entering the coolant tank. If the machine were to be used in a production situation the swarf would have to be manually removed multiple times throughout the day.

This saw is a Baileigh CS 350EU. Here's a link to some information from the manufacturer:

Last edited:
I would rather have it rotating toward the fence. It is well supported that way, the chips aren't thrown toward the operator, and it makes better sense.

I would rather have it rotating toward the fence. It is well supported that way, the chips aren't thrown toward the operator, and it makes better sense.
If your vice isn't strong enough then maybe you have a point. The vice on my saw is more massive than the cast-iron fence! The vice is automatic clamp & release when the operating lever is moved in & out of the cut position. A common design on production machines.
The slow rotational speed of the blade doesn't throw chips and the guard covers the area very well.
At any rate that is how the machine is designed to operate and for good reason, no binding of cut-off chucks getting jambed and thrown.

OK, so I didn't buy it, I "rescued" it:

Scrap Brass.jpg
Heavy wall, telescoping brass tubing, miscellaneous brass knobs & fittings, heavy cast iron base (under the brass cover) and some like-new lamp parts for the spare parts box; the rest will go where it's former owner was going to send it, just a week late.

I haven't installed the arm that holds the finished stock yet.
Me either, seems like it would just get in the way, making it hard to cleanup all the chips. You have a nice saw. What do you run for cutting fluid?

Well I lost a $100.00 today, but picked up some goodies in the deal.... End mill, center drills, rotary table, mill attachment hardware, cutting oil.. Free cart and fire extinguisher too.
Wow, what a haul, it's good to see this stuff go to a good home rather than a recycler! The person selling it for such a phenomenal price must be hating life or thrilled to see this stuff go to someone who appreciates it. It's awesome he's addressing it before his family has to load it into a dumpster or search the internet to find a perceived price on each and every bench brush.

Back